What daily supplements do you take?

Options
Hi All!
I've been hypo-thyroid for 18 years now ....new to this discussion group. Just wondering what kind of daily supplements everyone takes in addition to their thyroid meds and why? (I currently take a B-complex, D3 and fish oil.)

Always curious about what might help .... thanks for responding :)

Replies

• x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin d and vitamin b complex. not sure where i read it but vitamin e is apparently a good one to take. oh also selenium especially if u are taking t4 only meds. its helps u convert the t4 into t3 which the body can use. i just eat brazil nuts daily for selenium. x
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Selenium, coconut oil (cook with), Bcomplex + a b12 sublingual pill, D3, Multi Vitamin, Omega 3 Fish Oil, DHEA... but I just got started a week or so ago.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Krill (fish oil but a small cap that is more potent) for heart, D3 for bones, Calcium chews for bones, CoQ10 to counteract side effects of Crestor for cholestrol, Probiotics for diverticulosis...really nothing so far for supplements to the Synthroid. I keep seeing comments on boards about coconut oil, seeing endo tomorrow & have to ask her about it.
  • debbiepa
    Options
    I take a women's multivitamin, calcium with vitamin D and Selenium.
  • dq_diva
    dq_diva Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks, All! Wondering about the coconut oil too.....
  • brealschaff
    Options
    Can you take the vitamins with Synthroid or is there a period of time you have to wait? Like 4 hours?
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Can you take the vitamins with Synthroid or is there a period of time you have to wait? Like 4 hours?

I called my pharmacy and they told me I could take them with the Synthroid because there is no drug interaction. But I wait 4 hours anyway just to be safe and make sure it is absorbed into my body correctly.
  • brealschaff
    Options
    Makes sense, thank you!
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    None, except I do take Glucosamin and condroitin. New studies have shown that vitamins are not helpful and probably plain dangerous. I used to take vitamin B until my doc and pointed out that it increased CANCER growth with colon cancer. I have in family and have had precancerous growth so stopped immediately. New studies show that women who take vitamins actually live LESS long. Don't buy the hype of the vitamin industry. Apparently Vitamin D is helpful for those who live in areas with little sun, but again I can not take due to a chronic illness that I have. Oh, yes, I forgot, I tried selenium and it made me ill so stopped.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    anything containing calcium you are supposed to allow 4 hours after taking synthroid. I keep my synthroid on my night stand & take when I get up for a potty break (usually around 4 a.m.) that way when I get up I can take my other meds & have my coffee.
  • dq_diva
    dq_diva Posts: 66
    Options
    anything containing calcium you are supposed to allow 4 hours after taking synthroid.

this ^ and Vitamin C too .... I don't take anything within 4 hours of my thyroid just to be safe..