Keto for the next 6 weeks

Options
bradthemedic
bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
I am on day 3 of ketosis tomorrow. I've decided to change things up and shock my body. After almost 7 months of no physical or scale change I have lost it.

I'm eating lots just avoiding carbs for a few weeks to see if I can't tell my body to smarten up. :)

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Brad!

Shaking things up may be just the thing to do.

Careful though, I checked your diary (for some ideas) and your Sodium is waaaay high. It's my understanding that Ketosis is somewhat stressful on the kidneys. That much sodium on top of that might not the best thing for your body overall.:indifferent:

I know you know this, but let me be a Mom for a minute and remind you to drink your water!!:drinker:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Scaling back on my starchy carbs/sugars helped me break a 2 1/2 year plateau. Good luck!
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    Scaling back on my starchy carbs/sugars helped me break a 2 1/2 year plateau. Good luck!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks momma. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    why keto? A low carb, non-ketogenic diet,is just as beneficial as keto. There's loads of research on this. I'd urge you to reconsider.
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    why keto? A low carb, non-ketogenic diet,is just as beneficial as keto. There's loads of research on this. I'd urge you to reconsider.

I lost 180lb doing it about 10 years ago when I lost a bulk of my weight. I know it works and I can still build muscle. I've been at a plateau for 7 months, I'm at my mental breaking point.
    Options

I lost 180lb doing it about 10 years ago when I lost a bulk of my weight. I know it works and I can still build muscle. I've been at a plateau for 7 months, I'm at my mental breaking point.

Got it. My point is merely that KETOSIS is not required to get comparable results.
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    Agreed. I'll take it down a notch.
    Options
    :) and here you go...to minimize any doubts...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Also to add that I'm not going into ketosis. I couldn't do that long term/or do it with my workout schedule. Just scaling back the processed carbs/sugars (especially from dairy) has been incredible. The fat that I've been holding onto for years now is coming off now that it isn't having to go through all the carbs/sugars. I would always be good on cals/protein/sodium...but then go over on sugars. I'm thinking I finally found what was holding me back. 13 pounds later......
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    On the sodium front, it's very often advised to up sodium levels when on low carb due to electrolytes lost via water loss, that carbs help keep hold of.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    On the sodium front, it's very often advised to up sodium levels when on low carb due to electrolytes lost via water loss, that carbs help keep hold of.
    Good to know! Thanks!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting post on a Diabetes Forum:

In "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living", the authors recommend that people eating very low carb make sure to get enough salt in their diet. In their clinical trials they would supplement with 3-5 g of salt a day to prevent headache, dizziness, weakness and constipation. Their explanation made pretty good sense to me and since I am still suffering from frequent headaches I am trying to get more salt in my diet. (end)

The members debated whether or not you have to actually "supplement" with salt tablets since our typical "Western" diet is so high in sodium anyway. Most did NOT take supplements and just didn't "worry" about salt intake.

I thought it was surprising and kind of went against everything I THOUGHT I knew about sodium......interesting......
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Also to add that I'm not going into ketosis. I couldn't do that long term/or do it with my workout schedule. Just scaling back the processed carbs/sugars (especially from dairy) has been incredible. The fat that I've been holding onto for years now is coming off now that it isn't having to go through all the carbs/sugars. I would always be good on cals/protein/sodium...but then go over on sugars. I'm thinking I finally found what was holding me back. 13 pounds later......

Greys - So glad to hear you're having success!! What macro percentages are you doing?
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    I'm trying to hit between 50-80g of carbs per day. I am drinking coconut water to boost my electrolytes.
  • graysmom2005
    Options

Greys - So glad to hear you're having success!! What macro percentages are you doing?
    30/35/35 are my macros. Although I really just try and keep my protein up/carbs and sugars down. The carbs I eat are from veggies/nuts/ and one piece of protein toast in the morning. Everything is pretty clean, so the calories would be considered low here, but I'm eating all day long and not hungry. When you aren't eating processed starches or sugars it's nearly impossible to have a high calorie count. I add cals with healthy fats....oils/avocados/almonds and let the calories land where they may as long as my protein is up/energy is up etc.
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Brad!

Shaking things up may be just the thing to do.

Careful though, I checked your diary (for some ideas) and your Sodium is waaaay high. It's my understanding that Ketosis is somewhat stressful on the kidneys. That much sodium on top of that might not the best thing for your body overall.:indifferent:

I know you know this, but let me be a Mom for a minute and remind you to drink your water!!:drinker:

This is absolutely true! I have kidney disease and have had a kidney transplant and everytime I do low carb and go into Ketosis my creatnine shoots through the roof and my docs call me hours after I have labs done. It then takes weeks to get the numbers back down. They still are not back to normal from August when I went into the hospital for failure/rejection that I now know was caused by going low low carb, high protein. I can not do high protein at all and that is very hard considering I am lifting heavy weights.
    Anyway yes please be careful in Ketosis it is hard on your kidneys!