Weight accountability log - Week 5

Options
airboy1952
airboy1952 Posts: 62 Member
I pledged to weigh myself every Tuesday after exercise and to report the results to my fellow Challengers. Here's the data since the start of the Ultra Challenge:

Tuesday 9/11/2012: weight = 177.0 lb, need to lose 20.0 lb to reach goal
Tuesday 9/18/2012: weight = 174.2 lb, 2.8 lb lost since beginning of Ultra Challenge
Tuesday 9/25/2012: weight = 171.6 lb, 5.4 lb lost since beginning of Ultra Challenge
Monday 10/1/2012: weight = 168.0 lb, 9.0 lb lost since beginning of Ultra Challenge
Tuesday 10/8/2012: weight = 168.6 lb (brief setback due to my gimpy right foot)
Tuesday 10/15/2012: weight = 167.5 lb, 9.5 lb lost since the beginning of Ultra Challenge

I now have 10.5 pounds to go until I reach my target weight of 157 lb, and it looks like this should be doable in the 8 remaining weeks of the Ultra Challenge (which are also the 8 remaining weeks of the 10-week Killer B challenge).

Thank you all for your wonderful support, and I pledge you mine in return!

Cheers,
Roger

[1] Sorry to go all science-y on you by including hypotheses and supporting data.
[2] And footnotes.

Replies

• palheather
    Options
    Hi All,

I pledged to report my weight loss progress every week so here are my updates:

Wednesday 10/10: 142.8 pounds (which was 1.2 pound loss from the previous week's 144.0, which had been a plateau weight for a week)
    Wednesday 10/17: 142.8 pounds (NO loss from the previous week)

So NO change in my personal scale this week. As for the KB scale, I went up 1.2 pounds from last week (from 145.1 to 146.3). All in all, a pretty frustrating week. I have been more ravenous than ever before but still stayed within my limits all but one day (when I went 35 calories over the 1200 baseline since I didn't have time to exercise that day). I guess I have to get more serious about my food plan this week (e.g. no carbs or sweet treats) to see if that jump starts things. I'm game for suggestions... I headed to Hawaii in exactly one week and am now feeling like I can't enjoy myself there (foodwise) without setting myself back even further at this point - which is NOT the outlook I wanted to have on this trip. I was hoping for a strong loss this week and next to make me feel like a little fun wouldn't endanger my goal timeline. Arg.

Heather
  • airboy1952
    airboy1952 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Heather,

I can only imagine how frustrated you feel. You are a major rockstar in the gym and on the hiking trails, your dedication to the 110% goal is magnificent, your net calorie intake (consume minus burn) is right where it should be to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs/wk just as you have been for weeks and weeks, and yet your #$@%! scale has decided that it's not going to budge.

Plateaus like this are not uncommon, but normally occur earlier in the weight-loss sequence (see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152). So this one is both personally vexing for you and scientifically vexing for me.

It would be impractical for you to burn much more than you are now (unless you quit your job and went into exercising full-time, which I do *not* recommend!), and in any event doing so would put you at risk for injury. And from looking at your diary, your food intake looks awesomely good --- even the snacks look healthy, and you're definitely *not* consuming excess amounts of fat! I'm sure that just adds to your frustration: You're doing everything right, yet not getting the results you want.

The *only* thing I can imagine that's happening is that your gain of muscle mass (from running in particular) is outpacing your loss of body fat. My guess is that this will not continue, so the only advice I can give is to wait one more week, keep on doing all the incredible things you've been doing, and see what your weight is just before you leave for Hawai'i.

In any event, I think all of your friends will agree with me that you *must* enjoy yourself on your vacation! You truly deserve it. So even if that damnable scale continues to be recalcitrant, just say "Screw it!" --- or better still, "Pau hana!" ("Work is done!") for the time you're in Hawai'i. That weight-loss goal will still be here when you return, as will all of us who are cheering you on and are ready to help 24/7 in any way we can.

Cheers,
    Roger