Exercise during Flares

Options
kad2127
kad2127 Posts: 4 Member
Do you usually continue your regular exercise routine during a flare?

Do you minimize heavy exercising (e.g., intense cardio) during flare-ups?

I'm not sure if continuing my usual exercise routine will help or hurt me. I'm always extra tired during flare-ups.

Thank you for anyone with input/advice :smile:

Replies

• wolfehound22
    Options
    I'm going through my first major flare, and have found I always feel better when I workout. Not sure why, but I have no issues during the workout, regardless how I feel before or after.

That being said, I've had to lower the intensity, and also add in some extra off days. In the beginning when I was first diagnosed, I continued to workout hard, and eventually I hit a wall, so recently I've been giving myself some extra rest, and that allows me to really push it on the other days. It just takes longer to recover than it use to. HOpefully when I get out of this flare, I can return to my everyday workouts.
  • kad2127
    Options
    That's great that working out seems to be helping. I think I'll bring my cardio down to a lower intensity instead of cutting it out all together. Thanks for sharing!
  • lafresita
    Options
    I think it depends on what symptoms you have... when I am in the midst of a bad flare, all of my joints ache and so high impact exercise is out of the question, but gentle walking every day helps a lot with energy/digestion/bloating etc. I just stick to walking.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I tend to stop my weight lifting boot camp class during a flare, but try get some exercise in. I find it helps me take my mind off the pain for an hour and then I sleep better. We all know sleeping better is a great thing, especially if you are on prednisone or entocort.
  • kad2127
    Options
    Yea, I've had to cut back on running. More walking and better rest are what am going for now. Sleep is lacking because I'm studying for a test. I think the stress of this exam started the whole flare to begin with! Ha.

Thank you for your tips and input :)
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    when i had my worst flare in 2009, i had to cut back some because i was so sick. if i'm having a moderate flare, i try to keep my usual routine. i just play it by ear; i want to stick to my routine as long as it doesn't make things worse.

i will say that i get very tired during flares. my regular exercises are exercise bike and long distance walking, so that's usually not too high impact.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    In the midst of a major flare, I can't be more than about 10 steps from the bathroom, so I tend to abandon my workouts when UC is bad.