CurvesSmart

Options
Who uses it? Do you like it? Hate it? How accurate do you think the calorie burn is? I did it for the first time today. I did less reps than before because it kept beeping at me to move on to the next machine and didn't work as hard as normal and it says I burned 519 calories...that seems high but man I wonder what I was burning before and only figuring it was 250. Sigh I better not be into starvation mode territory again :(

Replies

• kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've got a few girlfriends who have used curves smart in conjunction with their heart rate monitor.

The calories burned are overly exaggerated. She showed me she burned about 300, curves smart was nearly 600.

Furthermore, it only tracks one session. If you choose to stay on the circuit a wee bit longer. it wont' work.

All in all.. I prefer old fashioned Curves not so Smart :-D
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Actually I like the CurvesSmart. But I agree with some of what Kitty said. Not sure about how accurate the Calorie Burn is. Ours keeps track of the Last 10 Workouts you have done. What I do believe is that it keeps you FOCUSED during the work out so that you aren't just "Going through the Motions".
  • stellapiano
    stellapiano Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ^That's what it seems like to me. I started mine yesterday, and it certainly kept me aware of what I was doing and how hard I was working. The thing about stuff like this is that if you're doing the same workout over and over, your body expects it and ajusts to it. So instead of doing the same thing with less results every time, it's good to have something to push you harder and harder.

I know that I sweat more yesterday (and lost my breath a little after the squat machine!) than I have in a while at Curves. Hopefully it stays that way.

As for the calorie burn, it told me I burned 359 yesterday, which I feel is relatively accurate considering how hard I pushed myself. I don't know if it will get more outlandish after time, but I'll see I guess. I should probably invest in a HRM as well.
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ^That's what it seems like to me. I started mine yesterday, and it certainly kept me aware of what I was doing and how hard I was working. The thing about stuff like this is that if you're doing the same workout over and over, your body expects it and ajusts to it. So instead of doing the same thing with less results every time, it's good to have something to push you harder and harder.

I know that I sweat more yesterday (and lost my breath a little after the squat machine!) than I have in a while at Curves. Hopefully it stays that way.

As for the calorie burn, it told me I burned 359 yesterday, which I feel is relatively accurate considering how hard I pushed myself. I don't know if it will get more outlandish after time, but I'll see I guess. I should probably invest in a HRM as well.

Get a Polar HRM, it has one that beeps when you're over your fat burning zone and it counts calories too. it's very accurate.

http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/polar-ft7m-black-red/24206

Here is the magic fat burner one.. I like the men's version better as the female version look cheap.

If you find a website that sells it cheaper, do let me know as I have a few friends who want them too.

Best of luck! x
  • stellapiano
    stellapiano Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look into it. :)
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Made it to Curves 5 times this week. I will miss Tomorrow due to a Funeral. But I will get in a Walk, and maybe the Recumbent Bike or Treadmill later in the day.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Burned 483 Calories at Curves this morning. One of my better days.
    :flowerforyou: Also discovered that I am at 900 Workouts, as of Last Month!!
  • MrsSpace
    MrsSpace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Smart for over a year now. I believe my caloric burn is fairly accurate. But I know it can be off. I wore my HRM to 3 work outs and the HRM was within 50 calories those times. But, to be fair, I was counting the whole work out--recovery pads and all. I think the reading Smart gives you is supposed to be for the machines only. If that's the case, the yes, it's way off. And, my HRM is not a top of the line model.
    I have asked my husband for a polar HRM for our anniversary next week!