Jujutsu is not Brazilian

Options
Does this bug anyone else? Watching UFC in Rio they kept banging on about the pride of Jujutsu being Brazilian. It's not, much of the ground game even grew out of Japanese technique. The commentators even use the Japanese terms!

Bjj is Brazilian and the Gracie's have made it their own and for sure let's give credit where it's due. But let's not start telling porkies.

Replies

• Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    I agree
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    100%
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    so much you commented twice! I'm glad
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    What is practiced in the UFC and at MMA gyms worldwide is Brazilian jiu jitsu. This art was developed by the Gracie family an I based on the Japanese practice. However, most practitioners and athletes will agree the Brazilian form is more effective as it is tailored for smaller athletes to best larger ones.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    What is practiced in the UFC and at MMA gyms worldwide is Brazilian jiu jitsu. This art was developed by the Gracie family an I based on the Japanese practice. However, most practitioners and athletes will agree the Brazilian form is more effective as it is tailored for smaller athletes to best larger ones.

BJJ is an art in itself. It's just not Japanese and it's a pet peeve of mine when people say it is.
  • peuglow
    Options
    I think they are using the term Jiu Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu interchangably. They are referring to BJJ in all situations in MMA.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    it used to bother me when ever I heard it...and truth be told, EVERYTHING is geared toward BJJ...but the more I thought about it...it didn't really matter. Most the people, now a days (outside of the MA world....you know the type...TAPOUT stuff, pants around the hips, underwear showing, "tough guy" types) who have NEVER trained a day in their live...have ONLY watched UFC/YOUTUBE and think it's all the same. THATS when I get bothered by it. I kind of chalk it up to how certain styles utilize the same moves, but call them something different. The moves in TKD are similar to Kenpo, however, they are called the different. Ask a Kenpo practitioner and it's a reverse kick...ask a TKD and its a spinning hook kick (or whatever).

side note: I have no problem with TAPOUT, however, I think the mass appeal of their products and their demographics have severly watered down their quality of training gear. If they want to break into the market for casual clothing...cool...just dont touch my PUNCHTOWN, TITLE GEAR or JUDO UNLIMITED thank you very much.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Modern Martial Arts has been travelling throught the world for centuries. It didn't come to America until the Late 1940's.

It is going to transistion, travel and change. I don't think the Gracie Family ever made the claim that JuJitsu was Brazilian any more than Bruce Lee could lay claim to being the forefather of Kung Fu.

Most Martial Arts schools these days are money-making ventures. With programs designed to push students through testing every few months or so and bring in profit.

Modern Martial Arts, UFC, MMA and such have little to do with the teachings of traditional Martial Arts.
  • peuglow
    Options
    The UFC is not a form of martial arts either. It is merely a venue for combat. I can't stand people who say they 'train UFC' or 'fight UFC'. Idiots.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The UFC is not a form of martial arts either. It is merely a venue for combat. I can't stand people who say they 'train UFC' or 'fight UFC'. Idiots.

my favorite is when people talk about training or taking "ultimate fighting."
  • rstoliker
    Options
    I gotta say...I've never actually HEARD someone say to me that they train UFC or anything. I mean...I see the jokes, and the references...but I'm yet to actually read or hear someone say it and believe it. Has anyone else?
  • peuglow
    Options
    I gotta say...I've never actually HEARD someone say to me that they train UFC or anything. I mean...I see the jokes, and the references...but I'm yet to actually read or hear someone say it and believe it. Has anyone else?
    Sadly, yes.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options

frequently.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

There is an official "UFC Gym" in my town. It is fun to drive by and watch all the dudes in Affliction T-Shirts hanging out and acting tough. I think they do pushups and unskilled pad work there.
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's a variation that originated in Brazil, hence why it's called Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I don't see the big deal. I've seen styles advertised as 'American Karate', but hey, Karate isn't from America!

And it's getting to the point that people train mixed martial arts specifically, without a focus on a single art. I do agree that the term 'ultimate fighting' is laughable.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Quick hierarchy of how jujitsu came to Brazil:

Tenjin Shin'yō-ryū Jujitsu(Had to wikipedia that one for Kano's start)
    -> Kodokan Judo-Dr. Jigoro Kano
    -> Judo/Prizefighting-Mitsuyo Maeda
    -> Start of Brazilian Jujitsu/Carlos-Start of Gracie Jujitsu System/Helio Gracie(Carlos & Helio were brothers)

As for myself, it doesn't really bother me that much. I would dare say most BJJ guys who are truly into the art know it's origins. Lineage is a very big thing in the martial arts world so I would dare say if you asked a BJJ Purple Belt his lineage, he could easily rattle off back to Kano with ease. I know with our school we require our students to know both their Japanese and Brazilian Jujitsu lineages since we teach both forms.