About how much do I need to lose to go down a size?

Options
KayeArlana
KayeArlana Posts: 42 Member
On the message boards I keep seeing posts from people that lose 5-25 etc... pounds and how many sizes they go down in clothing (I know that this is not going to be the case at my weight). Right now I'm wearing a 4x/5x--sometimes a 30/32 but it would nice to get an idea so I have something to look forward to. So my question is, about how much did you lose before you needed to drop a size or two?

Replies

• sheilanowell
    sheilanowell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am the same size - 4x/5x 32ish...but maybe if I knew how much I needed to lose to get back to a 28 and fit in "normal" plus sized clothes like Lane Bryant...I may be more motivated!
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much it will take to see a difference in clothing size. I have lost 40 pounds already and still in the same size clothes. But of course I like my clothes a little baggy. Can't wait to actually buy smaller clothes.
  • KayeArlana
    Options
    I can't wait to get back into lane Bryant clothes too. I'd just love to have some trendy clothes. Like you my clothes are baggy so its so hard to tell. A number to aim for would be a great mini goal. I've lost about 30 lbs and the only thing that really seems to be shrinking are my feet :)
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I didn't go down a size until I lost about 50.... it seems the larger size you wear the more of a difference between the sizes. I started at a 28 (pants) lost 50lbs and got 26s, and 24s after losing about 25lbs more.
  • KayeArlana
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I'm going to try to work towards that and see where I end up. Shopping for new clothes is a huge motivation.
  • mattnjakesmom
    Options
    I have lost 56 pounds and gone from a 3-4x top, size 28 pants to a 1-2x top, size 22 pants. Hope that is some help! :)
  • ybft
    ybft Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think the "down a size" is an interesting idea.

I have no idea what a "size" down would be for me either.
    I will loose weight, but I have no idea what the loose skin will do...if it will shrink or just sag!

For me, I lucked out and found a pair of cargo shorts from a local plus size store, on sale.
    It was end of season, and the shorts were $2.
    I tried them on and surprise surprise, the didn't fit.
    I did manage to get them up to the top of my thighs, so I know my starting point.
    They are a summer item, so I have all winter to literally work my butt off!

They are hanging on the outside of my closet door, a gentle reminder that summer is on it's way, weather or not I work out and eat well.

I have worn elastic waist pants my entire adult life.

These little cargo's might be a size 26, and have a little tie on each leg and are cute as can be!
    There is a real button/zipper waist band!
    Grown up pants!!!

I am currently a size 32.

Perhaps buy a piece of clothing that you've always wanted to wear.
    Hang it where you can see it, and focus!

I even bought a gorgeous Asian silk kimono top!
    I found it in a lovely thrift shop for $4, and it is a size 10.
    It is stunning and I will ROCK that luscious top soon!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I dropped sizes in shirts quicker than pants. Went from a 3x to a 2x pretty quick, down to just an xL now (usually, varies by store).
  • CloganPhoto
    Options
    Perhaps buy a piece of clothing that you've always wanted to wear.
    Hang it where you can see it, and focus!

I am so going to do this. Thanks for the great idea. I wear 28/30 now, and I can't wait to get down a little more. I have a hard time finding bottoms that fit at LB. I don't know about you, but I am more pear shaped and wear smaller tops that bottoms. I have so many clothing items from sizes 22-24, I want to get back into them, and I can't wait until they are too big!
  • mattnjakesmom
    Options
    I dropped sizes in shirts quicker than pants. Went from a 3x to a 2x pretty quick, down to just an xL now (usually, varies by store).

I am the opposite. I dropped more in the bottom half lol. If my chest wasn't so large I could fit in a smaller top. Darn those things! :p
  • KayeArlana
    Options
    I'm smaller on top than on the bottom so I feel like my shirt size will go down faster like you. That really sucks because my stomach is so big/hangs down so I only wear tops that will hang past it so I'm still going to have to wait for my pants size to go down to buy new tops.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I too am in the 4X/28 range and 30 pounds down is making things looser, but definitely not a size. The last time I dropped in size, it took about 50 pounds. I think that those smaller sized folks change much quicker. I am not sure that 50 this time will be a size!
  • CandyDiehardBAMF
    CandyDiehardBAMF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs and went down 3 sizes in jeans, definitely a motivator =) I am pretty sure I started losing a little before I started counting, but I Just say 30. What I have started to do, since wearing smaller sizes is such a big deal to me, is measurements. I look at how many inches in the waist and hips it is to the next size. Hopefully this helps, I just recently took my measurements.

The actually buying something the next size down sounds like a great idea =) maybe a pair of jeans in a brand I usually fit might be a good plan.
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the clothing and where you are losing most of the weight from. I'm losing from the top right now. I'm down 25 and went from 26/28 tops to 22/24, almost to 18/20. But I'm still in the same size pants. As soon as something gets big I get rid of it though, I don't want to ever fit it again.
  • ybft
    ybft Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at my Asian silk top today......and focusing on my future with it!

I am a tactile and visual person, so to have the shirt, be able to feel it, look at it in real life is a great motivator for me!
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at my Asian silk top today......and focusing on my future with it!

I am a tactile and visual person, so to have the shirt, be able to feel it, look at it in real life is a great motivator for me!
    It is really great to see the variety of things that we use to motivate ourselves on this journey.
  • milleyea
    milleyea Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    On the message boards I keep seeing posts from people that lose 5-25 etc... pounds and how many sizes they go down in clothing (I know that this is not going to be the case at my weight). Right now I'm wearing a 4x/5x--sometimes a 30/32 but it would nice to get an idea so I have something to look forward to. So my question is, about how much did you lose before you needed to drop a size or two?

I started out @ 331 pounds size 28-30/4x-5x. It took about 40 pounds to get to a comfortable 26.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm also a pear shape. I lost weight off my top, waist, and thighs first.

I started at 357 pounds (5'6" tall). I wore a 4X in tops and a 28/30 in pants. I had to order all of my clothes online.

I was around 330 when I started buying clothes at Lane Bryant again. I bought my first 3X shirt at Catherine's at 325.

I'm 312 now and can wear most of their clothes and other plus-size clothes comfortably. I usually buy a 26/28 in tops so they fit over my hips. I wear a 3X in t-shirts and other tops. My jeans are around a 24, but at LB, I wear a 20/22. Their brands are weird. ;)
  • mandie28653
    mandie28653 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

this is such a great idea to motivate! i would love to be able to walk into a store and buy a pair of pants instead of always having to shop online!
  • raynavee
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs so far... don't know if I've went down a pant size yet. I have what they call a "Spoon" figure, so I don't think I'll ever be in single digit pants... and that's fine with me. I don't really like wearing jeans that often because of the dreaded muffin top. I know I have a pair of 22s that I wore home from the hospital after giving birth to my son last month. They fit great then. That was more than 20lbs ago. Haven't worn them since, so I don't know. Maybe I'll go check. I know that I've went from a 52" waist to a 49in waist so far. So, I've probably dropped a size. I'll look it up online and see if there's a way to tell when you'll drop a pants size and get back to you.