Carb and Sugar Question

Options
Jemmuno
Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
So I've been doing Paleo for about 4 days now. i'm always going over my carbs and sugars. Most of my carbs and sugars are from fruit. I was wondering if people count the sugars and carbs from fruit?

I feel like I shouldn't because just by eating a banana and apple in the morning that is already 60g of carbs and I've already gone over on my sugar as well. Do you guys just subtract the carbs and sugars you intake from fruit to get a real indication of the other types of carbs and sugars you intake?

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• mejenniferd
    mejenniferd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Carbs from fruit count, just like carbs from veggies count. There really aren't many other sources of carbs when following paleo or primal way of eating (except maybe a little dairy?)

Because I'm trying to lose fat, I limit my fruit intake. Most days I don't have any, but occasionally I'll have some (like the awesome strawberries that having been in my CSA box this summer!).
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fruit normally. Now I am doing something different and will try to allow fruit once a week. Sugar is sugar, natural or not. If you are sensitive to it, you have to drop the fruit. Plus, I am actually specifically sensitive to fructose, and sugar and everything that has too much fructose triggers appetite for me a HUGE deal. We are talking like extra 300-500 cals a day hunger. That includes sweet potatoes, though sometimes I can pull of a carrot. That's why I actually eat white potatoes, not yam.
  • lowm8nance
    lowm8nance Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The folks above are right. It's hard to eat too many fruits if you are trying to lose fat in addition to eating healthy. It's been suggested to me to eat a fruit on days I exercise since I'll get an extra allotment of calories.
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I count the sugars and carbs from anything I eat. It does add up quickly. I still usually eat an apple with almond butter every day. Not sure if I was doing that at the beginning. You might try cutting out the fruit completely for a week or two, then just add one piece a day and see what that does to you. I know it's kind of hard when we've been told all our lives that fruit is good for us. It still is good for us, but definitely in moderation. You'll actually feel fuller longer if you stick to the proteins and fats.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    yes - you have to count it if you are looking to play with your macros...

I found for myself if I am looking for any type of weight loss the calories aren't the issue - but rather the sugar and carbs are the issue. I.E. I can eat the same calorie range - but if I keep my carbs to under 80/day I will see some weight loss.

When I do my periods of strict - I cut most fruit out - stick to things like lower sugar/carb berries or a small (and I do mean small apple - and only one serving a day and stay away from the higher sugar/carb fruits (banana's are one of the highest) and veggies (sweet potato - which is a staple in a lot of the yummy paleo recipes is high in sugar/carb)

If you look ar a Paleo sort of eating plan - fruit is very very little vs things like green veggies, protien and fat sources
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Like the others said, carbs from fruit definitely count. You just have to restrict your fruit intake somewhat. I eat maybe one serving of fruit per day. Try fruits that don't have such a high sugar content like Granny Smith apples, raspberries or blueberries. Bananas and grapes have a very high amount of sugar. Fruit isn't bad, you just have to eat it in moderation.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you are trying to lose or maintain. Mark's Daily Apple recommends eating 50-100g/day carb for weight loss. So if your fruit/veg fit into that, you're cool. 100-150g/day for maintenance.

I usually eat 1-2 servings of fruit a day, usually berries, an apple, or grapefruit. Carrots and of course squashes which are everywhere right now are pretty high too. I don't stress out about it too much, but I'm several months into the diet. I think it's good to watch your fruit intake in the beginning if you do want weight loss. Or, sometimes you're feeding a sugar craving with fruit, which doesn't help to address the craving.
  • JocelynMartin10
    Options
    It depends on whether you are trying to lose or maintain. Mark's Daily Apple recommends eating 50-100g/day carb for weight loss. So if your fruit/veg fit into that, you're cool. 100-150g/day for maintenance.

I usually eat 1-2 servings of fruit a day, usually berries, an apple, or grapefruit. Carrots and of course squashes which are everywhere right now are pretty high too. I don't stress out about it too much, but I'm several months into the diet. I think it's good to watch your fruit intake in the beginning if you do want weight loss. Or, sometimes you're feeding a sugar craving with fruit, which doesn't help to address the craving.

YES! It's hard to eat less than 100g a day but so worth it. I always sleep a lot better and have a lot more energy the next day . You can do it! It usually takes about 2 weeks or so to get used to it... just keep on going
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat fruits, stick to fruits with low sugar and high antioxidants like berries. Fruits like apples and nectarines are tolerable. Avoid fruits that are high-sugar or high-starches like bananas or pineapples. This is if you are dieting. If you aren't, then you can relax the rules, of course.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My opinion. Count sugar and carbs from all sources and stick to the suggested macro ratios. It will save you frustration in the long run.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes you count the sugar/carbs in fruit. Fructose is still sugar! The key is that any nutrients you're getting from fruit you can also get from vegetables without all that added sugar. Vegetables often times have more vitamins/minerals than fruit too. For example, bell peppers, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts all have more Vitamin C than an orange. I try to limit myself to 1 serving of fruit a day and I stick with lower sugar fruits like berries.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for advice!
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes, the carbs from fruit must be counted. I am under 40g of carbs every day, but I have 15g each of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries, but they are all part of my carb allowance per day. Banana's, grapes and melons I never touch, and apart from my daily berries, can't remember the last time I ate any other fruit. I am a T2 diabetic so am extra strict, but berries are fine for me, and my daily treat, I have them with full fat Greek yogurt, flax and chia seeds, and it's the meal I look forward to most.