New to MyFitness - Any helpful suggestions? Need help!

Hi Ladies!

I am new to MyFitness and need some suggestions on what is working for you. I work most of the day at a desk and I do not have much free time for work outs or any exercise programs, so I thought this program would help me on my calorie intake. Anyway, if you have any suggestions for me I would really appreciate it! I want to lose about 18 - 19 lbs. Thanks for your time to comment.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Welcome to MFP! You'll love the site I'm sure. Lots of inspirational people here.

I bought a Fitbit to see how many calories I burn then deduct a percentage from it to determine how much I'll eat each day. Works well for me. It counts your steps as well so it's a great little motivation tool too. You can also track your sleep with it and flights of stairs. They aren't very expensive. I highly recommend it.
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Oh, there are all sorts of things you can do while sitting at a desk! If you can get away with ankle weights do small leg extensions while you're working. Tighten your abs and hold it, then your lower back. If you do a lot of work one handed, get a small (two or three pound) weight and do curls. Anything you do like that will help you burn those calories.
  • Thank you for your time and giving me your recommendation. I would really like to try that! Where can I get one and what percentage do you deduct? Any more suggestions or recipes you can think of is really appreciated! Thanks again!
  • Wow! Never thought of ankle weights! Thanks! I will give that a try! I am at the computer all day and need the use of both hands so your other suggestion will not work for me @ work, but I can try that at home while watching tv before bed. Thank you. Any more ideas, please share them with me.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I spend most of my day at a desk too. I try to incorporate some of my learnings from yoga into everyday stuff.
    - When walking around the office, envision a string through the top of your head pulling you up. This is great for your posture and make you look long and lean.
    -While doing the above, contract your abs. This is like an isometric crunch and also add support for your low back.

Honestly, just logging my food her on MFP helped my weight loss. The feeling of accountability. If I felt guilty about recording it, maybe I shouldn't be eating it.

Good luck!!
  • Lori, thanks for your suggestions. I will try that as well. I am happy to say since starting this program, I have lost 4 lbs. Woo Hoo! It makes me feel good just to be able to start taking off a little weight. With all the suggestions that I have received so far and have implemented, I think that it is all helping. Please if you think of anything else, please let me know. I love all the suggestions that I have been given. Thank you so much!
  • mockchoc
    Thank you for your time and giving me your recommendation. I would really like to try that! Where can I get one and what percentage do you deduct? Any more suggestions or recipes you can think of is really appreciated! Thanks again!

I'm in Australia so no idea where you can buy a Fitbit there but it should be easy to find. I deduct 10% since I'm close to goal but you can deduct more if you want to. Another thing that is very important is to read everything on these message boards so you can learn from others that have lost lots of weight. I've done tons of reading. There is a lot of different opinions though on things so you'll have to decide for yourself what you think is the right way to go about it.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Hello and welcome!!! I have found a lot of help on here and I hope you do as well. Here is what has helped me the most. There are two people on here who are extremely helpful. One posted this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It is a lengthy post but worth the read. He basically lays out how to figure out how many calories you should be eating.

The next person I have found so helpful is heybales. He has a spreadsheet that you can plug all your info into and it automatically comes up with how many calories to eat.

I also belong to the group "eat more to weigh less". Those people are extremely helpful also.

I wish you tons of luck and ask me any questions you may have!!!
  • Thank you again and I will research that online. I am sure that I will be able to find it there. I would like to also congratulate you on your weight loss thus far! YOU GO GIRL! What an accomplishment on your part! You have to really be feeling good about yourself! Good luck on your continued success!
  • Marie, thank you so much for your references! I will check those out! I will be away from my posts for a couple of days because I will be a new grandmother tomorrow! I am so excited and I cannot wait for that little blessing! I will contact you again soon. Thank you again!
  • mockchoc
    Congratulations! I'm hoping to be one in the next few years lol.