BMF synching with MFP

Options
swingkid1975
swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
I was ecstatic to learn that BMF will now synch with MFP. I set up the apps and my calories did show up on BMF and my total calories burned from BMF did show up on my homepage on MFP. Two questions though.

1. Currently I have my meals on MFP set up as breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, after dinner snack. However, when the calories synched into BMF it didn't bring over the after dinner snack, and it lumped the other two snacks into one calorie total. When I log those after dinner calories I wonder if I should just put them as dinner, or is there a way to change BMF to have the same meal breakdown?

2. Since your total TDEE is coming over to MFP are you going to stop logging execise here or are you going to add the exercise but only for 1 calorie?

Replies

• oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    oohhhh will have to watch this thread! I just ordered my BMF so will have a lot to learn :)

How long have you had your BMF? Do you love it? Has it helped you with feeling comfortable about your calorie intake and setting the defecit and losing weight or inches, fat, body shape.... however you measure :D
  • swingkid1975
    Options
    I've had my BMF since March. I love it! It really helps to see what I truly burn each day. It's always great at the end of the day to see that you burned more than you thought you had.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sorry to ask but what is a BMF? Everything you are saying it does sounds amazing!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Sorry to ask but what is a BMF? Everything you are saying it does sounds amazing!

it is the Body Media FIt. I have had one for a few years and I think it was a great investment. I have the littlescreen thing that tells you what you are burning, so I don't have to plug mine in everyday to get the readings, and when I see it is low I get my butt up to burn some cals!

In regards to it showing up on MFP, is it supposed to? I did notice it put my cals on the body media site, but It didn't really seem like it doesn't much more then that lol

I have been trying to find some info to read to see all the features, but I haven't been able to find anything :(

ETA - Sorry, it is an armband that calculates your cals burned throughout the day, sleep, exercise, steps, there are alot of features!
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've had the BMF Lync since July and LOVE it. My phone just had an update on the firmware so I can now sych it on my phone. But hearing that it now synchs with MFP...so excited and need to figure out how to make that happen. I'm starting to get really lax on logging my stuff here and then adding the calories into the BMF online stuff.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I add my exercise like I used to, and the bmf adjustment simply changes to account for that. i like to keep track of exactly what I did and how much it burned each time.

As for the food. I'm not worried about the breakdown so much in regards to where it logs it for the day as I am in regard to macros and overall cals. So, I just let BMF do what it wants with the info and I just look at the stuff that matters to me at the end of the day. :smile:
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love the new Sync! not entering in 2 places is fantastic :)
  • swingkid1975
    Options
    Where is the BMF adjustment coming from though? For example, on this site for today I already have a BMF adjustment of 163 calories listed in my exercise, but I haven't logged any exercise today. What is that 163 based on?

The issue I was having with calories synching is that BMF wasn't picking up the calories listed after dinner on this site so it was short those calories. I think I've fixed that by just adding after dinner to my dinner tracking.
  • swingkid1975
    Options
    I add my exercise like I used to, and the bmf adjustment simply changes to account for that. i like to keep track of exactly what I did and how much it burned each time.

As for the food. I'm not worried about the breakdown so much in regards to where it logs it for the day as I am in regard to macros and overall cals. So, I just let BMF do what it wants with the info and I just look at the stuff that matters to me at the end of the day. :smile:

Where is the BMF adjustment coming from though? For example, on this site for today I already have a BMF adjustment of 163 calories listed in my exercise, but I haven't logged any exercise today. What is that 163 based on?

The issue I was having with calories synching is that BMF wasn't picking up the calories listed after dinner on this site so it was short those calories. I think I've fixed that by just adding after dinner to my dinner tracking.
  • jyska
    Options
    I believe it gets it's adjustment from what it EXPECTS you to burn in the day (as in it uses your tdee burn). As the day progresses, that number may be less or more depending on how active you actually are.

Everything should sync in for food. My snacks (afternoon and evening snacks) logged under 'pm snack' for yesterday. The crossover had a 1 cal shortage, but that's not too bad. I haven't figured out exactly what the sync process requires, but at times I've synced up both phone apps as well as the website versions before it all synced up completely. Maybe something wasn't/isn't quite synced up yet?
  • swingkid1975
    Options
    Yeah, today is a rest day for me so I don't have any exercise calories to burn so we'll see what the adjustment is at the end of the day.

And for food I'll just make sure it's grabbing all the calories. If not I'll put all evening calories in my dinner meal.
  • oonga
    Options
    Jyska when you say it uses your TDEE you mean what it gets used to your TDEE being?
    As in would that apply once you have had been using it for a few weeks?

I do recall reading that at first you get higher Daily burns and after a few weeks it seems to drop as it gets to know you? or some such thing LOL
  • jyska
    Options
    Ok, I think I've got the numbers figured out...I did some checking and math and it looks like this is what is happening.

BMF has an actual TDEE burn for the day and an 'estimated' TDEE burn for the day (if you hover your mouse over the lighter color in the bar it gives you the estimated burn number). BMF uses the estimated burn number for the adjustment in MFP UNTIL midnight after which time if you sync up, it will use the actual burn. (it does not use weekly tdees...just daily)

It takes the estimate number throughout the day and subtracts the number that MFP thinks you will burn doing daily activities according to your settings. The difference is your adjustment. If you manually add in exercise, it simply reduces the adjustment to accommodate. Up until midnight, it will be an estimated adjustment, but when you sync up after midnight (or the next morning...whatever), it will show the final 'true' adjustment.

Make sense? You may need to go into MFP and see how your settings are in there and check if anything needs to be tweaked to get a more 'accurate' system going if you find you are getting adjustments that aren't accurate, but at least now I think I know what it's doing.

If anyone has figured out anything differently though...please share. I'm still testing these waters. :smile:
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just go into my food log and erase the bmf adjustment.
  • justjen0117
    Options
    I went into MFP and changed my activity level until it matched up pretty closely with my estimated total daily burn on BMF. I don't log any additional exercise calories on MFP though so that's probably why mine is fairly synced up.
  • oonga
    Options
    ummm ok this all sounds so confusing!!

I don't have my BMF yet, hoping it arrives by friday :D
    I keep checking the tracking! LOL Its was dropped off in Chicago on friday so hopefully it starts heading out of the USA and into Australia soon LOL

Would i be best off just using my BMF away from MFP for a few weeks to a month, just to get used to it all?

I thought the point of the BMF was for it to measure your personal TDEE so i am getting confused with the whole putting in your settings etc..
    BUT that could be because i have never seen the BMF set up online, nor the synced versions, so maybe once i see it, I will understand all this :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it works the same way as fitbit but with the fitbit as you move and burn calories throughout the day your daily expected burn goes up on MFP.
  • jyska
    Options
    I went into MFP and changed my activity level until it matched up pretty closely with my estimated total daily burn on BMF. I don't log any additional exercise calories on MFP though so that's probably why mine is fairly synced up.

I did basically the same thing. I left the activity level at sedentary in mfp (because I have a desk job) but then added in my 'expected exercise' in my goals. Now everything matches up nicely when I sync. I still manually add in my exercise though because when I do that, the adjustment reduces by that exact amount to compensate. It all works out nicely!