I'm sabotaging myself..

Options
scsooze
scsooze Posts: 9 Member
Hey all- I've been back and forth on Primal for over a year. I know it's what i need to do... depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue and migraines that all clear up the longer I eat without wheat, corn, sugar.. I enjoy the foods, really I do, but then every 3 days or so I give up and eat candy, crackers, cereal. For a long time I tried high fat to satisfy me and take away cravings. Because I still had cheat days I quickly started gaining and getting bigger. I tried restricting calories but still eating Primal, and began binging more.

I can't take being in my head anymore with the constant obsession with wanting to eat, then not wanting to be overweight, then thinking about what I could eat, then eating and being upset... it's exhausting. I know what is right, but it's like I don't really want to give up the "normal" foods. I feel resentful that I can't have popcorn with my kids when I want, that I can't eat appetizers at a party.

And I COULD do that, and consider it 80/20, but any time I have a little-- I spend 3 weeks binging afterward. :( It's awful. I don't know how to get myself to make the commitment for good. I don't know if there's anything that someone could say, but you never know where something will connect with you and help, so I thought I would reach out for help. How do I "just do it", for good? Why do I feel sad that I won't be able to eat the foods I miss, and how do I get over that?

Replies

• 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You've got to get past this point. What's the longest you have done strictly paleo? Could it be that you are not giving your body enough time to get over the cravings. How about rewarding yourself. Not with food, but with something else special. My dh says he can't do the cheat thing for the same reason. If he cheats, he's afraid it's all over. Can't do the 80/20 either. Instead we just find really good food that is paleo. Hang in there and don't give up.
  • ricestephanie11
    ricestephanie11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PP: you need to give yourself more time eating strict paleo. It takes at least a week for the cravings to subside and for your body to adjust to less carbs, more fat and protein. Have you ever tried doing a Whole30? It sucks for the first week, but many say it's helped them finally commit to the paleo lifestyle.
  • NikIsSkinny
    Options
    It sounds as though eating is very much tied in with emotion for you. You might want to try to sort this out (even with a therapist, if you can afford it and have time). When you want to eat unhealthy foods, stop and think why. For example, you mentioned being resentful that you can't eat popcorn with your kids. Why is this? I think that you would be doing a better thing for your kids if you eat the best way you can so that you have more energy and are more healthy. I've never cared if my loved ones ate the same things as me, as long as they are with me and are happy.

I know our culture is very food based, but you don't have to eat the hors d'oeuvres to have fun at the party.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm with NikIsSkinny on this.

Who cares if your kids are eating popcorn, or if someone else is eating something different? Your body, your life, your choice. If you're meeting up with friends or going out to a party, I get the feeling it's more about the socialization than the food itself - don't feel the urge or compulsion to eat just because they are, or just because they expect you to.

To control your binging, I honestly reckon you should just stick to three good meals a day. That's all you really need. And don't just make the three meals salads or bacon and eggs, either, as that'd just get repetitive and lead to more cravings. Get creative! Want chips? Slice up a sweet potato into wedges, crack an egg over them and rub it in (I prefer it over olive oil, personally - crispier) and garnish it in spices like paprika and garlic pepper. Serve alongside portobello beef/chicken/fish burgers for a perfect Primal take on on junk food. Hell, you can even make nachos if you put some ground beef on top with guacamole, sour cream and homemade salsa.
    Make no mistake - Primal and Paleo food doesn't have to be boring, and can be just as good as- no, better than "normal" food. Trust me: just get a little creative and you won't miss a thing about the old crap.
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    Maybe you're just not passionate about the diet? Rigid diets are usually a huge trigger for binge eaters. Have you thought of eating a balanced diet without restriction based on whole foods? Or just cut out the gluten? It's pretty easy to eat gluten-free nowadays, especially if you bake/cook.
    The only way I'm happy eating paleo is when I spend the time to create really, really tasty meals so that non-paleo foods isnt as appealing. The other day I made apple cinnamon paleo muffins and in the morning, I warm them up with a lil butter.. Yum!
    It's ok to treat yourself once in a while, maybe research intuitive eating to fully enjoy your treats?
  • scsooze
    Options
    I think that you would be doing a better thing for your kids if you eat the best way you can so that you have more energy and are more healthy.

That's so very true! I really do think I'm a better person, mom, wife..when I am healthy. I don't have anything left to give them when I feel unhealthy. Why don't I have that point permanently fixed in my head?! I have to keep working at a way to turn that need/urge to eat off when it hits me.. I think over the years (and yes it's very emotion-driven) I have gotten SO used to just reaching for the food and allowing myself that habit, that it is near impossible to think of another way when the "urge" hits. I'll really keep trying to stop and think about it.. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Howl_Shadowkn - 'who cares' seems like such an easy idea, but is so hard to me. I want so badly to feel that way, and I'm going to 'hear' you saying "who cares what they're eating" next time I feel resentful or like I'm missing out on something :) not to mention your chips idea and nachos sounds great and I'll try it. Thank you !
  • AmyMoenae
    AmyMoenae Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just wanted you to know that I think like you do... I go back and forth and try hard and then sabotage. It is a vicious cycle. We can do this. Diligently. We just need to get to the place where feeling good all the time takes priority to what we could be eating... what sounds good, you know? There is a lot of support on here. Let's take it and run with it!

~Amy
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't take this comment the wrong way.

I lived with an alcoholic for a long time and went to a lot of AA and rehab meetings. When I read your post, it totally reminded me of what I heard alcoholics say. Everyone trying to get sober said exactly the same things as you... Just substitute alcohol for the foods you mentioned.

I agree that a whole30, and I mean being really prepared for your whole30, might be key. It requires you to be strict. No cheats. And the 30 days is really important. That's why most rehab is minimum 30 days. You really need the time to go through the cravings, the mourning for the behaviors you need to say goodbye to, and then finally getting to a feeling of success and empowerment.

I'm not suggesting you have a food addiction. Just that your post reminded me of addict feelings. And food can have just as powerful pull on our brains as a chemical substance can have. Changing habits is damned hard.

It might help to read "It Starts With Food" for motivation.
  • scsooze
    Options
    Caribougal, no offense taken.. I've talked to my husband in the past about feeling like an addict.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Scooze, Paleo/primal is a hard lifestyle to get into sometimes. One thing i did I converted in stages. Initially, after my problems with CW, I did something from Dr. Hydeman's books, Supermetabolism (his latest book is Blood Sugar Solution). It is basically a very good version of whole foods, with the elimination of only processed grains. You still can cook and eat whole grains (you can further restrict it to non-glutenous ones if you suspect gluiten sensitivity), basically all hot cereals and legumes. You can also include tubers and white potatoes. In my experience people have less trouble with eliminating the damaging oils, so I would just do that. Keep raw honey to sweeten things up at times, but try to clean out artificial sweeteners. Maybe trying that and then phasing out in stages
    -grains
    -dairy (if you intend to eliminate dairy)
    -most or all fruit

will help you. I know, as I become comfortable with elimination of some things, I became more comfortable with eleiminating more and more. The strictest I did was Whole 30 without a shred of fruit, nuts and dairy.

In fact, I am not entirely convinced that dropping legumes, white potatoes and non-glutenous grains is a good move anyway for an active person for optimal health (that's another experiment I am going to do later)

Binges are very individual. I know that for me, dairy and fruit does trigger binges. In the past, nuts did too, but I managed to control it, by ridiculously super-satiating for nuts - for a while I ate 2 oz of macadamia every morning with my coffee for breakfast and after that nuts stopped being a Holy Grail.

Unfortunately, that did not happen with fruit. On Sundays, when I do my second carb up day right now, I still eat fruit by the bucket. However, i am not afraid to go without fruit for prolonged periods of time no more.

I think we all have that threshold that we cross with something particular to us, when food stops being symbolic, all food, and you can stop eating anything, and do not experience the "I can't live without it!" symptom any longer.

I will also recommend Susa Albers' "But i deserve this chocolate" and "50 ways to soothe yourself without food" books.

What you eat is part of what you are. When you let go of what you are, you become what you might be.

Good luck!
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am and have dealt this for a long time. Get on the diet, try to do the 80/20, and then just fall off the wagon. Pass a doughnut shop or cruise by the candy aisle and my brain is screaming for carbs! I've been reading a ton on the addiction portion of food and how it relates to neurotransmitter depletion. I would definitely check out "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. She worked with people bulimia/anorexia/food addiction and helped people overcome it with supplementation. I'm not suggesting you have an addiction, but sometimes we crave things for a reason, and generally it is something the brain needs or is low on. I've been taking l-glutamine, l-tyrosine, and 5-HTP, and have noticed a huge difference. Just something to check out and ponder on.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I agree that we need some sugar in our diet. I eat my share of dark chocolate, fruit, some honey, the ice cream treat. But our brains do not need donuts or candy. That's our cravings/habits taking over the brain. If you walk past a donut shop and think, "hmmm, I MUST have a donut"... that is a desire, not a physiological need.
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree that we need some sugar in our diet. I eat my share of dark chocolate, fruit, some honey, the ice cream treat. But our brains do not need donuts or candy. That's our cravings/habits taking over the brain. If you walk past a donut shop and think, "hmmm, I MUST have a donut"... that is a desire, not a physiological need.

First, technically we don't need sugar in our diets. Our body can make necessary glucose for brain function through gluconeogenesis. Sugar is sugar no matter if it is in the form of honey, fruit, candy, ice cream, donuts....the body doesn't differentiate.

Secondly, habits are one thing, they can be overcome. Cravings on the other hand are a gray area. Our bodies crave things for a purpose, although the purpose may or may not be due to a macronutrient deficiencies. People who are genetically predisposed to and/or have environmentally depleted neurotransmitters have a much harder time overcoming cravings. Depletion of neurotransmitters can manifest in depression, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and other addictions, including food. It has been scientifically shown that sugar and carbohydrates, including donuts, increase serotonin and other neurotransmitter production. Cortisol will also cause sugar cravings. If you can't make enough neurotransmitters on your own, your body will crave things that will. Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson, and Sean Croxton have all talked about it and it can be very difficult to overcome. More and more tests are being offered to make sure brain chemistry is in line.

Since we don't need the sugar for our bodies to function, but we still have the cravings, that's when things become tough. Quitting cold-turkey doesn't work well for many people, and that's why we see the binging/falling off the wagon/eating disorders...the brain hasn't adapted. We can still function, but how well?

If you haven't had a problem with any addiction before count yourself lucky, but some of us aren't and don't criticize the ones that do.

To the OP- Bottom line, if you have having trouble overcoming cravings, be patient with yourself and exhaust all avenues. Maybe see a naturopath for hormone (cortisol/progesterone/estrogen) and neurotransmitter deficiencies It takes time and sometimes the damage done with years of SAD can't be overcome overnight. You aren't alone and other people are struggling, too.