eating out ideas ?

Options
I am having a hard time finding healthy alternatives when eating out at fast food restaurants besides salads, some of the salads are very high in calories and just not worth it to me. .. any ideas would be a great help. I have found that taco bell has a fresco steak or chicken taco for only 150 cal, and 18 carbs, they are very good.

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot with my job so am away from home most weeks. Getting something healthy is very difficult - its one of the reasons I put so much weight on in the first place.

However, these days, my first rule is to try and avoid fast food. Unfortunately rushing between meetings it is sometimes the only choice, this it what I did this week -

1. Yesterday my colleague suggested the food court. I had Sushi but only ate half the rice. I estimated what I had was about 50g of white rice.
    2. Earlier in the week, they wanted burgers, so I ordered the salad (no dressing) instead of fries and took off the top half of the bread.
    3. Instead of sandwiches with bread, I look for tuna tortilla wraps.

I usually get commented on my will power, but, that is because I've not told colleague I am T2 yet.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    We gave up fast food a long time ago. I personally have not found any healthy choices there for me. What we do is 'car picnics'. We make our own roasts for sandwich meats, use something like Sara Lee bread that is lower in calories and pack fruit and raw veggies in a cooler to take along.

It's cheaper, greatly lower in sodium and lower in calories and I control the meals. May or may not work for others.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    When I end up at a fast food place I generally get a side salad rather than fries and take off at least half of the bun.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a damper but in my book, fast food outlets and healthy eating are mutually exclusive.
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I travel often but I must agree with Robert fast food and healthy eating are tough to use in the same sentence. When I must I look for Subway get a 6" and only eat half of the bread. Biggest downside here is the salt content unless you just load up on veggies.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I generally try to avoid fast food establishments, but on the rare occasion I must eat in one, I go with either a salad or a grilled chicken sandwich that I remove the bun from. Or if it happens to be a Jimmy Johns, I'll have an unwich, which is a sandwich using a lettuce wrap instead of bread.
  • clarafitnesspal
    clarafitnesspal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.. I guess this is going to be harder than i thought. I do like the idea of a unwich, and just eating the fast food without the bun.. and i have just gotten a take out side salad, just feeling so deprived when i need to go to a fast food place with family or freinds. good ideas. thanks
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't stay away from fast foods because I have been traveling a lot. I am glad that most places have nutritional information online. I am going to be leaving on a trip soon. I will pack some healthy food to travel and make the best choices I can while away from home. I have found that when eating at small food places (not a chain) that if I ask what's in a dish, they have told me so I can enter the foods.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat out a bit,we do not do fast food much. We find resteraunts that have lite menus and look up details of
    the nutrition on line.Often times if you order from the senior menu (even if you are not a senior) the servings are smaller and usually healthier. I find if I plan ahead and know what I want to order it makes the temptation easier. Applebee's has a decent low cal menu,so does Bob Evans,almost all the chains have a healthy choice menu,you just need to ask for the menu sometimes then read very closely, Salads quite often are the highest in Caloris as well as fat. I find it is a great thrill when I can eat out successfully . Good Luck :)
  • emjohn69
    emjohn69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We gave up fast food a long time ago. I personally have not found any healthy choices there for me. What we do is 'car picnics'. We make our own roasts for sandwich meats, use something like Sara Lee bread that is lower in calories and pack fruit and raw veggies in a cooler to take along.

It's cheaper, greatly lower in sodium and lower in calories and I control the meals. May or may not work for others.

Like :smile: