RA & weight lifting

Options
Hey there fellow RA Ninjas! I was just recently diagnosed with RA and I've been doing okay except for a lot of pain in my hands. I wake up with them pretty swollen and burning most days. I really enjoy lifting weights (both free weights and using weight machines) but I'm worried that it's bad for my hands/wrists. I'm not sure if it's okay for me to keep doing this, or if the fact that they get so hot and slightly swollen is really bad. Any advice or thoughts?

Also, I'm relatively new to MFP and I'd love some more friends, especially those with RA, to keep me motivated! I'm sure you all know how tough it can be to exercise through the pain, a little extra push in the right direction is always good.

Replies

• paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll be interested to see the answers to this as I have a gym membership beginning in December. My ra mainly affects my hands so I try not to strain them too much but I would love to use the rowing machine at the gym. I suppose the best thing to do is take it easy and see how you feel. x