Anyone try Couch to 5K App? Please share!

Options
Hello everyone! :tongue:
I just wanted to know what your personal experience with the C25K App has been... I'm at week 7, and soon, I should be able to run 30min straight. I have been working diligently and hope to achieve my goal in the next few weeks.
I have a few questions regarding the program:
1) Did you lose weight with it while completing the 8 week program? (I have only lost 3 pounds in 6 weeks):grumble:
2) Did you find it easy / hard to complete?
3) What are you doing after C25K? Are there other Apps once you have completed the program?

I feel much healthier now that I have started jogging, and I guess the weight will eventually come off. I was just hoping to see results a bit faster.

Thanks for sharing your stories! I look forward to learning from your experiences!:smile:

Replies

• Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm on C25K W5D3 and have found that it has been helping me to lose weight. Before I started I was losing an average of 1lb a week but since starting C25K i've lost 8lbs and have had two holidays during that time. I'm 47 and had never been a runner and to start with I thought I was going to die just running 1.5 mins lol! I can't believe I ran 20 mins straight today. In the early weeks I felt it was my legs that were the problem - they couldn't keep up. So I started doing elliptical training on my rest days which has helped enormously. That is probably also helping the weight loss. If you are not seeing the result on the scales, maybe you notice it more in the fit of your clothes? Sometimes that's a better measure :)

Well done on getting to W7, I approach W6 with trepidation :frown:
  • NatashaRuz
    NatashaRuz Posts: 223
    Options
    I've heard about the "couch to 5K". What sort of program is it? I've started running on my own over the past 2 weeks, and I'm having mixed results. Seems that I do best when I run in the mornings, but that's often prohibitive.....
    I've never run in my life, but I have so many friends that do it, and love it, that I thought i'd give it a try. I imagine that as weight comes off, it gets easier....

I'd love to hear more about the "Couch to 5K"....

:)
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the "couch to 5K". What sort of program is it? I've started running on my own over the past 2 weeks, and I'm having mixed results. Seems that I do best when I run in the mornings, but that's often prohibitive.....
    I've never run in my life, but I have so many friends that do it, and love it, that I thought i'd give it a try. I imagine that as weight comes off, it gets easier....

Basically its a program designed to get you running 5K in 9 weeks, but you can take it at your own pace and it might take a little longer if you need to repeat days/weeks but that's OK. You start off on week one with a 5 minute warm up walk and then you alternate a jog for one minute and a walk for 90 seconds for the next 20 mins and finish with a 5 min cool down walk. Each week gets progressively longer with the jogs.

There is a great group on MFP called C25K. It has all the info you need to get you started. You can also get apps for your phone that tell you when to jog and when to walk and track your progress. I like the Active.com one but there are loads of others.

I can recommend giving it a try :smile:
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There is a Couch to 5k group on MFP...
    Here are their c25k app/podcast review insights:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387466-podcast-and-app-reviews
  • NatashaRuz
    Options

Thanks! :)

Basically its a program designed to get you running 5K in 9 weeks, but you can take it at your own pace and it might take a little longer if you need to repeat days/weeks but that's OK. You start off on week one with a 5 minute warm up walk and then you alternate a jog for one minute and a walk for 90 seconds for the next 20 mins and finish with a 5 min cool down walk. Each week gets progressively longer with the jogs.

There is a great group on MFP called C25K. It has all the info you need to get you started. You can also get apps for your phone that tell you when to jog and when to walk and track your progress. I like the Active.com one but there are loads of others.

I can recommend giving it a try :smile:
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Great! Thanks :)
    There is a Couch to 5k group on MFP...
    Here are their c25k app/podcast review insights:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387466-podcast-and-app-reviews
  • wbunns
    wbunns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program about 6 years ago and was very successful and loved it! Although I weighed a lot less and was 6 years younger! I've tried again but I had some difficulty with my knees and calves so I'm going to wait until I've dropped 10 pounds then try again. I lost weight when I did it but I was also on Weight Watchers so not sure how much was attributed to the running. It definitely helped me keep the weight off though.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just started this...only on my second day. Gotta start somewhere, right? So far I like the app...very helpful.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I started the app sometime in may. I cant believe how much it has helped me. I was never a runner. I used to be a sprinter in high school but could never run a mile.
    I completed the program with no injuries and with the success of running an official 5k straight, no stopping. I can't tell you what a rush it was. Now, I'm slow like a turtle but I can run it.
    Now I'm doing bridge210k. I just finished my first 60 minute straight run. It's not a 10k distance yet but I never even ran a mile when I started this journey.
    I signed up for two 5ks in September and want to do a 10k by May 2013. I'm Only nervous about my time because the apps have completely prepared me for the distance.
    If it helps you like it helped me you'll be addicted and reading every post on MFP about running! Have an awesome run!
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Happy to say that I'm on Week Two and the App has been FANTASTIC to keep me going, keep track, and keep me motivated.
    Super happy with the program.
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded, have you had time to check out yet
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C10K - trying to push myself a little further. I just finished wk 9 day 1 last night - run 10 minutes x 4, walk 1 minute x 3. Ran a total of 4 miles last night, burned 450 calories and sweated like a pig. Today my legs are sore!! :) It's so worth it!!
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Used it today, Loved it...Really felt like I got a work out
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Starting C25K on Sunday! Very nervous but lots of good tips to be found in the C25K group on MFP :smile:
  • torourke69
    Options
    I used C25K a couple of years ago to drop weight. Its a great tool for running intervals. I also have a playlist of favourite upbeat songs that I use also.
    I started using C25K again yesterday ( now that I put 2 stone back on) .
    I wasnt sure how to log the excersize so i just used very brisk walk!

Good Luck
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k in May and completed it in August. I loved it. I was worried at first that my knees wouldn't hold up and that I wouldn't be able to finish, but that was never a problem. It takes you at such a gradual pace so you build your stamina up. Don't get discouraged if you have to repeat a week. I think most people do. But on the other hand, don't freak out when the workout takes you to the next level and you think "i'll never be able to run for that long" haha! You will be surprised at what you can do!

Unfortunately, about a month ago bursitis developed in my hip :( after letting that heal, I have just started incorporating the running again. I have found that I really miss it now! So I am back to intervals on the treadmill and cutting out any incline running. Good luck!
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Starting C25K on Sunday! Very nervous but lots of good tips to be found in the C25K group on MFP :smile:

I did it! W1D1 done! I calculated the walking, then the running and added them together to calculate the calories burned.
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Quick update.....in middle of Week 7...and am now running 40 or more minutes straight! Ran my first 3 miles straight last week, and again this morning.

So, if you're thinking about starting the C25K...DO IT!! :)

I struggled to run those 60 second stretches in the beginning....and now?? :) THREE miles straight!!
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started this program/app but quit at the end of week two. I LOVED the program, but I found that I was more cardiovascularly fit than I realized.

From the beginning, I would follow the app, then run for an additional amount of time. Before I knew it, I was running for a continuous 45 minutes--albeit at a slow pace (about 4.7/5.0 per hour).

I HIGHLY recommend the app--I'm just an overachiever. Sometimes. LOLOLOL