More Calories???

Options
Okay so I'm back on low carb, 3 days in and the food log is telling me that if I don't increase my calories, I may not lose weight. Are they serious? I have to force myself to eat more? I have never had that problem! I guess I will try it. I always get stuck at 193 and can't move any farther. Maybe that will move me beyond that point. Last time I was stuck there for a year!!

I am averaging 1200 per day and the site is telling me I need 1600. I'm not sure I can eat 400 more cals. Maybe I can start drinking heavy cream or something.

Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would say 1200 is borderline low for someone who's 193, but my guess is that eventually you'll get more of an appetite. I had days where I ate only 14-1500 (when I weighed 300), but now I can't go through a day with that little.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly go by how hungry you are, sometimes I will dip below 1200 (my default MFP target is 1700) and I'm a fairly muscular bloke, it's not going to kill my metabolism unless I make a habit of it. Some days I'm hungry, some not.

Right now I'm breaking through a fat loss stall (the last few kilos ... stubborn things ...) so I'm happily consuming less. I could exercise more I guess but that would just make me hungry ;)

One thing to bear in mind is that if you are adapted to burning fat/ketones as an energy source (i.e. dietary fat and what we all carry around) then some of your energy needs are being met by the body so we should, logically, need less in our diet.

This isn't an endorsement of starvation but just something to be aware of ... we should be feeding ourselves with our fat, mostly and, obviously, eating enough protein to maintain muscle, etc.

I have been known to eat Coconut Oil straight if I'm particularly low intake and still not really hungry. This will make sure that there is no metabolic slowdown and will not be converted into anything but energy due to it's structure (Medium Chain Triglycerides).
  • my_username_was_taken
    Options
    Okay so I'm back on low carb, 3 days in and the food log is telling me that if I don't increase my calories, I may not lose weight. Are they serious? I have to force myself to eat more? I have never had that problem! I guess I will try it. I always get stuck at 193 and can't move any farther. Maybe that will move me beyond that point. Last time I was stuck there for a year!!

I am averaging 1200 per day and the site is telling me I need 1600. I'm not sure I can eat 400 more cals. Maybe I can start drinking heavy cream or something.

Any words of wisdom?

What are you targeting for as far as carbs? I have my calorie set at 1200 and my target carb at 190 on the site but I really aim for about 150 which was the suggestion of a bariatric dietitian that my husband sees. we are on our journey together even tho we have two very different paths
  • booxgirl
    Options
    Thank you for your responses.

I didn't mess with the target calories, I just let the site do what it wanted. It told me that 1600 and some change will give me a 1 lb. a week loss. As far as carbs go, I'm doing induction again so just 20 Not sure where I'll settle later.

I agree with the comments about going with my hunger. I don't see the point of eating if I'm not hungry but I don't want to sabotage things either. If I'm not really hungry on day 3 what am I going to be like when I get farther and I am less hungry. lol

I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. It is a little early to be worrying about plateauing on day 3 but I have been stuck there twice. I want to build a strategy before I get there!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    The hunger will ebb and flow, I went through a stage of not being hungry at all during the initial stages and then I felt the need to overcompensate and started experimenting with more calories (and carbs) and hence the current stall I'm working through.

It's OK though, it's all about working out what we need at any given time, as long as we're tracking everything we can fine-tune the process.

Once you get the blood sugar under control it's a lot easier to recognise true hunger. One of the many reasons I won't be going back to a grain-based diet.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    As usual, I agree with Vim. However, if you decide to add more calories, nuts, cream, avocado, cheese are excellent ways to up your caloric intake with just a little food....and avocado and nuts have those wonderful fats you need. Good luck!
  • gypsyeyesforyou
    Options
    OMG! i am so glad you posted this today. i was logging on to ask this exact same question. however, mine is a wee bit different. i eat what i feel to be three good healthy meals a day. but my caloric intake, for example yesterday, was only 372! my husband says my body will go into "starvation mode?" and i won't be able to lose weight. even i was surprised by the calorie count when i entered it, but i ate and i wasn't hungry. i don't snack. feel free to add me and check out my diary from yesterday and advise.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    OMG! i am so glad you posted this today. i was logging on to ask this exact same question. however, mine is a wee bit different. i eat what i feel to be three good healthy meals a day. but my caloric intake, for example yesterday, was only 372! my husband says my body will go into "starvation mode?" and i won't be able to lose weight. even i was surprised by the calorie count when i entered it, but i ate and i wasn't hungry. i don't snack. feel free to add me and check out my diary from yesterday and advise.

Can't see your diary right now (a limitation of my tablet thing) but I would suggest 372 is pushing it a bit hard just based on getting enough protein to preserve muscle and maintain the body.

Aside from energy needs we also need a certain level of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) daily and I wouldn't fancy being that far below my BMR for too long.

I don't believe 'starvation mode' will happen after a day or so but the body will down-regulate in the face of prolonged extreme restriction.
  • gypsyeyesforyou
    Options
    here is my intake yesterday. and it is very high in protein actually:
    2 slices bacon
    boneless skinless chicken breast
    cup of mustard greens
    tilapia
    asparagus
    water

to me, this feels like three good meals. i am cutting carbs since i have had luck in the past with that. (other than what comes from the veggies). i am not sure where to add. i like this kind of food and can eat like this every day.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Take it from a girl who lost a lotttttttttttt of weight restricting cals on a very low cal diet for a long time (er.....myself)- I seriously would reccomend you significantly up your calories because your metabolism will slow down eventually to adapt to your low caloric intake. Once I started eating over 1000 cals a day I gained most of my weight back and now my metabolism is seriously screwed!! Don't do it to yourself!!

My advice:

-Add something to your bacon for breakfast, like a cheese omlette cooked in butter or evoo.
    - Have a mid morning snack of nuts.
    - Add a sauce to your chicken or stuff it with cheese or pesto and serve it with an avocado salad with dressing.
    - Dress those greens in flavoured oil (ie: garlic oil/ chilli oil/sesame oil) or butter.
    - Add a protein smoothie or 'fat bomb' to up those cals!
    - Eat a MIM for a snack or dessert with heavy cream or cream cheese.

Please see my FAQs sticky thread for food lists, snack ideas & recipe links.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Absolutely, If in doubt add eggs ... I don't really treat eggs as calories/fat/cholesterol/whatever they are just plain good nutrition.

Nuts (raw, not salted, roasted, etc) are also good for any number of nutrients and will get the calories up there quick.
  • gypsyeyesforyou
    Options
    added scrambled eggs to my bacon this morning. the snack is going to be hardest for me. i like the smoothie idea, but i wonder are there some that are very low in carbs? i guess i can google that. thanks for ya'lls input.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I don't really need the extra calories right now, but I have gone through phases where I am just not feeling hungry but really DO need to eat more (I wouldn't 'feel' hungry, but be fatigued). This is what I've done:

-almond butter. Seriously, I'm addicted. (or peanut butter). I can eat it right out of the jar.
    -cream cheese on celery, or on cucumber slices (YUM)
    -coconut cream in my coffee
    -put some kind of fat on my veggies or cook them in it - butter, olive oil, bacon grease, etc.
    -BACON
    -cheese and pepperoni slices for a snack
    -if it's a dry protein (white meat poultry, fish, lean meats), I add fats - again, butter, olive oil, bacon grease. BACON. Avocado.
    -add other fatty toppings to a salad - cheese (feta or blue cheese crumbles, shredded cheese), avocado, bacon, coconut oil, hard boiled eggs
    -Full-fat EVERYTHING. Don't get anything low/reduced/non-fat, it usually gets replaced by carbs anyway. And eat your egg yolks!!
    -similar to Laura's fat-bomb idea, but I just mix it in a container and eat with a spoon - mix nut butter of choice, butter or coconut oil, coconut or almond flour, shredded coconut, whatever spices (cinnamon, vanilla extract, etc).

Sometimes, even when I didn't feel hungry, after I'd start eating I would realize how hungry I truely was.

gypsy - try coconut cream as a base for a smoothie. Those single-serve size blenders work perfect.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    added scrambled eggs to my bacon this morning. the snack is going to be hardest for me. i like the smoothie idea, but i wonder are there some that are very low in carbs? i guess i can google that. thanks for ya'lls input.

Choco-coco mocha smoothie: 1/2 can coconut milk, 1 shot espresso coffee, ice, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder. Blend. Enjoy!!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    What is MIM?
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    here is my intake yesterday. and it is very high in protein actually:
    2 slices bacon
    boneless skinless chicken breast
    cup of mustard greens
    tilapia
    asparagus
    water

to me, this feels like three good meals. i am cutting carbs since i have had luck in the past with that. (other than what comes from the veggies). i am not sure where to add. i like this kind of food and can eat like this every day.

This really seems like one meal maybe two... but seems kinda dangerous. You look skinny I am not so maybe that is the difference. But there is a definite lack of fat in your diet. you do need to give your body some fuel and low fat tilapia and chicken breast aint gonna cut it. Maybe you didnt count the oil/butter whatever you cooked it in. I do. Still probably not the best way to go. I am all for eating what you feel like. I have low day and large upswings but still.....
  • gypsyeyesforyou
    Options
    ok. i didn't think about the cooking spray. i guess that will add some. yeah, it's really high protein and really low carbs and fat. i guess i think a meat and a veggie as a meal. like i said, i was very surprised by the calorie count when i put it in b/c i felt like i had eaten three good meals. i have been looking at other people's food diaries and they do have a lot more per meal. i added eggs this morning and i plan to have some cheese and boiled eggs for a snack. if i need to add fat, where can i get that from? bad thing for today is i skipped lunch. :( as far as you saying i look skinny, while i appreciate the comment, i have a small goal where i feel i will feel more comfortable. i have been heavy and my whole family is obese. i just want to be sure that i make this a lifestyle change that i can stick to and hopefully not have the heart disease and diabetes that my entire family has.
  • booxgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I love MIM!! I have to go look if I still have some flax and make a grocery list.

After reading your menu gypsyeyes, my first thought was adding more fat. I know you had some bacon but later on when you eat leaner meats, adding some fat to them will not only help your calorie count, it won't raise your carbs.

I roasted a turkey the other day and I am not really a fan. For some reason I wanted some, ate some with the skin and then I was done. Now we have turkey but I am at a loss as to how I will fatten it up a little bit. Nothing seems to go with turkey. What do you guys like with turkey?
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I roasted a turkey the other day and I am not really a fan. For some reason I wanted some, ate some with the skin and then I was done. Now we have turkey but I am at a loss as to how I will fatten it up a little bit. Nothing seems to go with turkey. What do you guys like with turkey?

Oh turkey, how I love thee - let me count the ways!

Turkey salad - add some egg, mayo, touch of sea salt and maybe even some finely chopped celery for a little crunch power (other veggies are good to add here as well)
    Turkey sandwiches - with just the slices and some mayo. Make a savory MIM (flatter style) for the bread
    Turkey soup - could insert anything your heart desires with a ton of good veggies
    Turkey omelet - I'd cut the turkey up into smaller pieces for this one if it was me
    Turkey on your salad - easy switch-out since I usually have chicken on mine lol
    Make some (carb friendly) chili and add your finely cut turkey chunks in it
  • foomsy
    foomsy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Avocado is good, also you can eat some nute, Almond, brazil nut, hazelnut and sunflower seed.
    They will increase calories and carbs are low.
    What i do is i measure out my portion of nuts and seed for the day and munch whenever i feel like.