HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)

Options
Who know's anything about HIIT?

I am trying it out for the month of October - 3 times per week combined with strength training.
So 5 sessions all up per week.

I have heard different things about recovery. I'm not sure what to believe?
Some say a full day recovery the day AFTER a HIIT session so that your muscles can repair etc
- going off this I'd only get in 3 maybe 4 workouts a week, at a push.

Some say light/mod exercise the day after is ok...

Thoughts?

Replies

• kaydee173
    Options
    I've just started experimenting with it a little bit (very little because my breathing's not too good) but just adding it into a cardio workout and trying a bit of HIIT on treadmill, rower and bike on training rollers. Just finished a session and it's a killer, not sure whether I was going to have a stroke or heart attack, and kept thinking I should have left note inside the house to tell my husband where to find me ... just in case I was a jellied heap on the floor. Will decide what to do tomorrow when I check out how the body feels, either strength training, circuit or complete blob out :-( Interested in following your HIIT journey, how are you doing it (running, biking)?
  • MakingThisHappen
    Options
    Haha, i know what you mean!
    When they say high intensity they MEAN high intensity!

I have been doing stationary bike/cycling, cross trainer and then treadmill - 10/15mins on each.

Start off at a medium resistance and average RPM, after 1 minute up the resistance by 2 and up the RPM, and after 1 more min up it again, then back to the low/start resistance and RPM.

i.e. cycling at resistance 7 and about 75RPM for 1min, then 9 and 85RPM, then 11 and 105RPM.
    Then back down to 7 and 75.
    REALLY gets the heart going - I'm quite enjoying it!

Rest day yesterday so did 30mins light cardio on the treadmill plus arm and abs sets - major DOMs today! :laugh:
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat....now I realise what this is I can see its what I've been doing at my Wowfit sessions....and I have really enjoyed them as in I like the bits where I can rest, even for 30 seconds!! My high intensity might not be as high as some people but its high for me...James says he wants me to work till exhaustion....and mostly thats where I end up! There's no wasted time...straight off one machine and onto the next while the heart rate is up and we're in the weight loss zone...I downloaded some good music tracks the other day for HIT which I tried out on my exercise machines over the weekend...did ok but I just know I didn't push myself quite as much working on my own as when the personal trainer is stood right next to you egging you on! cheers, Karen :smile:
  • MakingThisHappen
    Options
    Good on you Karen! You are such an inspiration :)
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You are soooooo kind!! :bigsmile: