Which calorie formula do you use?

Options
Hi all!

Do you go by the book's recommendations or by another method? For the past 2 weeks I've been doing my TDEE -20% which comes in at 1700 calories (at light activity. I may actually be moderate but I set it at light) I calculated this on fat2fitradio.

My calculations according to the book come in at 2000 non workout day/ 2266 workout day.

What works best for you? Have you lost body fat on the NROL4W plan? Obviously it can be hard to wrap your mind around eating that much when you've tried to do the opposite for years. I'm happy on 1700-1800, but hey, I could be convinced to go with 2000, eek! :)

Replies

• mermegan
    Options
    According to MFP 2000 is my maintenance level
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I go by my fitbit's TDEE and cut only 10% because I like food. The calculations in the book are too low for me since my life is insane. I have used the Scooby calculator in the past, but again, it was too low for me. :happy:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am eating TDEE -20% for now because I really want to be a bit smaller.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Scoobys calculator for a 10% cut because I want to slowly lose weight. So far it seems pretty accurate. I am only doing NROL4W so I selected the "Lightly Active" category. It's fairly similar to the NROL4W only you don't eat different amounts on workout days which is easier for me.
  • mermegan
    Options
    Thanks! Eating the same amount would be easier for me as well. I would much rather lose slowly and have more energy for workouts than feeling deprived and struggling through a workout session. I guess it's a little trial and error. Just worried about gaining.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I am new to NROLFW, I plan to start it in 2 weeks after I complete my marathon. I'll be transitioning from primarily carido work to weights. I use the Harris Benedict equation for women. I used to try to get by on about 1300 calories a day. That simply wasn't sufficient and I was GAINING weight. When I upped my calorie intake based on the HB equation, I found I had more energy and my weight settled back to a comfortable place for me. My goal wasn't to lose weight at the time, but to maintain and be better fueled for my runs. The key to increasing the calories is to do it with value added foods, not junk. Olive oil, natural peanut butter, avocados were all things I added back into my diet. They are calorie dense, but with good calories, and healthy fats that our bodies need. The first week I felt like I was eating all the time and I was very full. A previous poster said they "grew into" their new calorie intake, and I second that! You will get accustomed to eating more.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I tried the books recomendatins and it made me miserable! Even thought I was eating 200 more calories than I had been I was hungry ALL the time. It really sucked. I'm back to 1690 calories and quite happy at this level. (I eat back exercise calories with this)
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I just started Monday and Scooby also has me eating at 2000. That freaks me out, but when I asked about it in the Eat more Weigh less room, the girls doing th program are eating from 1900-2300 and losing body fat. I am nervous about it, but the numbers seem to be consistent! I am going to try and trust the system. Anything to break the plateau I am in! I have been at 1700 calories and am totally stuck.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I just started Monday and Scooby also has me eating at 2000. That freaks me out, but when I asked about it in the Eat more Weigh less room, the girls doing th program are eating from 1900-2300 and losing body fat. I am nervous about it, but the numbers seem to be consistent! I am going to try and trust the system. Anything to break the plateau I am in! I have been at 1700 calories and am totally stuck.

Don't freak out! I'm in EM2WL and eat 2500-3000 calories a day. Since the end of June, I've lost 2% body fat but no scale weight. Your body will respond well to being fed once you do it consistently.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    So, if I am eating 1650 on non lifting days and 2050 on lifting days should I eat back my exercise calories? I have been doing the program for 3 weeks now and am still at 154.4. I think it might be because I am eating back my calories. Any suggestions?
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am using Scooby at a 15% cut. This puts me at 1950 a day. I consider New Rules moderate activity level. My workouts generally last about 75-90 minutes. I also add in one day a week of cardio. I am trying to eat at a consistent 1950, but sometimes on the weekend I need more so if I dont eat all my calories mid week I dont sweat it. I am trying to reach my weekly calorie goal. I am seeing myself gain muscle but I havent seen the scale move.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The book calculated me at 1849 on non-exercise days and 2193 on workout days. I am currently eating at 1800, so it's not a whole lot more. I haven't upped it yet, but I may do so and change my macro ratio. Currently, I'm trying for 90g of protein, but for lifting, I will up that to maybe 130, which is what the book formula has for me. I used an online calculator that showed my lean body mass is 90 pounds, so that's why I chose 90g of protein, one gram per pound of lean body mass.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I eat my TDEE and use exercise calories as my deficit (I eat the same everyday and don't eat my exercise calories). Works pretty well when I stick to it. NROL4W's way seriously shortchanged me.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE - 10 %, so I eat 2000 every day. Some days I make it. Some days I don't. Some days I go way over. It all evens out in the end. I haven't seen the scale move in a few weeks, but I'm not worried. I know I'm eating below maintenance, so I'm confident things are happening even if they're happening slowly.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Do you go by the book's recommendations or by another method?

I use this calculator. http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I was just about to post the same thing :)

I'm eating at TDEE at the moment which I got from Scooby's workshop. I assume I'm moderately active given that I'm doing NROLFW, plus kickboxing twice a week. If not, then I'm bulking lol. I actually feel a little bulky at the moment, but as I've just started eating at TDEE again, I kind of expected a gain and I've hidden my scales at the back of the cupboard.

Hoping to see a loss in inches at some point though!
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Just an update: I was eating TDEE - 20% (set at moderately active) doing New Rules 3X and Cardio 3-4X a week. Well, I cut my cardio down almost entirely because of an injured foot. So now I'm eating a few hundred calories less and the scale is moving. Hmmm...guess my numbers were too high before? Less cardio seems to be working for me right now. Probably because it makes it easier to keep my diet tight, IDK.