Newly Diagnosed

Options
I have been pre-diabetic for a couple of years now. When I was diagnosed I did nothing to change. I am over 100 pounds overweight and have many other weight related health problems. I lost my dad 6 years ago at age 54. My mom had a heart attack and almost died 10 years ago at 47. All of this should of motivated changes but it didn't. Now is my time. I now have Type 2 diabetes.

I have an appointment with the diabetic educators tomorrow. I started logging here Friday and am staying within my calorie goals. I started vitamins my doctor suggested along with medication for the diabetes on Friday and am feeling pretty good and proud of myself. I think I am finally ready to make these changes.

I am trying really hard to not be down on myself for not doing something sooner. I am doing it now and can not change the past. Hopefully this time I can hit my goal and continue to live a healthy lifestyle.

I am looking for friends on here for motivation and accountability. So feel free to friend me.

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed myself as well. Nothing as motivational to losing weight as being told you have T2.

It is easy to look back and blame ourselves for putting on the weight that will have contributed to the Insulin Resistance, but, we are, where we are and can only change what happens from now on. So don't get down on yourself.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica and welcome to the group. You are starting with a good attitude and plenty of incentive. I'm glad that you have been booked on a diabetes education course. Many people who have taken these courses have found them to be very benificial. Take your time to read around the various boards on this group and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions, you will find lots of supportive and knowledgable people in this group.I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica, Congratultions for taking the first step. I am newly diagnost ( Aug 2012 ) and this web site has really helped me focus. I am 100 pound sover weight, although since I was diagnost and started on Fittness pal, I have lost 27 pounds ! I feel so much better, and the Doctor is so happy with my progress. Don't even think of what ifs, we are here and now we can get better. Welcome :)
  • Brynne1234
    Brynne1234 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica. I've been in your shoes. I was pre-diabetic for about 10 years and then diagnosed 2 years ago. I've managed to lose some of my extra weight which has helped my numbers but it isn't easy. The diabetes classes are really helpful, especially if you are able to speak with a diabetes nutritionist. I know my diagnosis was the kick in the butt I needed to change my diet. Good luck at your visit. Please feel free to message me if you ever want to talk :)
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Now is the time to look forward not back. I have had type 2 for years. It is not about diet it is about life style. We all must decide to change the bad habits into good ones. It is not easy but it can be done and MFP is a great place to find help and support. Good luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • CHUBBYgoLUCKY
    CHUBBYgoLUCKY Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your going through. My grandmother died from complications of diabetes and my father is a severe diabetic. I was diagnosed over a year ago, I took care of it the first few months and then I just stopped taking care of myself again. My numbers are out of control and I feel the effects coming back. I want to change and take better care of myself. Why is this so hard? I'm grateful there is a support group on here.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I think most of us could look back in hindsight and kick ourselves for ignoring warning signs, family history, etc., but there is nothing to be gained from that. We have arrived at our current point, so there is nothing to do but move forward, and it's up to us to choose the path we tak while moving forward. Just posting in this group shos that you have chosen the right path, and the good news is that, while we do indeed have this disease, we can make the necessary changes to control it rather than have it control us, and liev long and healthy lives. Best of luck to you on your quest for better health.
  • idahob
    idahob Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been pre-diabetic for a couple of years too. Yesterday, they gave me a meter & said I was diabetic. I tried not to cry. I think we are in a good place for support based on the postings above. I do not want this disease.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Idahob and welcome to this group. Being diagnosed with diabetes can be a traumatic experience for many people. The good news is that there is much that can be done to gain a really good measure of control and to live a healthy and active life. I hope you got more support than a diagnosis and a meter. If you have not yet been booked on a diabetes education course, I suggest you follow this up at the earliest opportunity. One of the most effective weapons we have is information. This means finding out as much as you can about diabetes and then checking out the information for authenticity. At first there seems to be so much information that it seems overwhelming. Take a deep breath and tackle one issue at a time. one essential weapon, especially in the early stages is keeping an honest food diary. Logging your daily food intake on MFP gives visibility and helps us to make wise food choices. Every diabetic is uniqque in that what works for one does not nessarily work for all. It really is a matter of trial and error. Take your time, read over the various boards and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of supportive people on here who are willing to do all they can to help point you in the right direction. We all started with a diagnosis at some point. We understand the concerns and frustrations of diabetes. It's this type of insight which makes the members of this and other diabetic support groups on MFP a group of very special people. I wish you well on your quest for a helthy and active lifestyle. If you think I might be able to help, feel free to friend me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jessica, finding out you're diabetic is a lot to digest. I started out very afraid of facing the unknown. I have since learned a lot about adjusting my lifestyle to improve my health. This is a good group, don't be afraid to ask questions or just to talk about your concerns.

Take Care.