Hypothyroid success - SWEAT!!

Options
This is unbelievable... I know I could share this on the main forums, but wanted to share here! I just had my first SWEAT after a workout in 4.5 years!! It's unbelievable. Just started my thyroid meds a few days ago, with really no notable difference. Before I started gaining weight unexpectedly, I was doing martial arts. Every two hour session, I was sweating profusely. I mean - guy sweating. Then, it just stopped... workout didn't change but I stopped sweating. Ran 5k, more martial arts, weights, Zumba, Elliptical, etc... nothing - not even when I did the Tough Mudder last month did I break a sweat. It was strange but I got used to it. Just finished an hour of Zumba and SWEAT! I never thought I'd be happy to see it, and I'm not sure if lack of sweat is even a thyroid thing - but it sure is the first "change" I've noticed. Just thought I'd share my very small success :)

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    That's great! I think it probably is a thyroid thing. But when it turns to heat intolerance & you start sweating for no reason, is when you've gone into hyper...
    I'm happy for you!:happy: Better you then me... I really hate sweating!:tongue:
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thats interesting! I have Hashimotos and go thru "hyperstorms" for a few months at a time( at which Im always hot and sweating slightly) But no weight loss over it..I think Im going back hypo as Im getting chills and also noticed when I workout Im not sweating as much?? In a "normal " person sweat would mean weight loss? But Im not my normal self and decided to stop focusing on the scale and start focusing on building lean muscle and dropping body fat percent levels. I also cut my meds in half (levo.) cause I want to find my balance my doc is a quack and he doesnt give a crap about what I tell him Im feeling! With Hashi's its not as simple as reading only the TSH levels, but he does and thats why since being on Levo (almost a year) I havent dropped any weight, my hair is thinning, and Im so tired! Must keep trying!!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    lol never thought i'd hear someone happy to be sweating.

My body doesnt sweat a whole lot but my face pours when im working out.

I always tend to be freezing so i work out to keep warm ha ha
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Huh, I do now and always have sweated like a faucet, despite being undermedicated for thyroid for 10 years. Upped my meds, did not sweat more, but certainly not less.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thats interesting! I have Hashimotos and go thru "hyperstorms" for a few months at a time( at which Im always hot and sweating slightly) But no weight loss over it..I think Im going back hypo as Im getting chills and also noticed when I workout Im not sweating as much?? In a "normal " person sweat would mean weight loss? But Im not my normal self and decided to stop focusing on the scale and start focusing on building lean muscle and dropping body fat percent levels. I also cut my meds in half (levo.) cause I want to find my balance my doc is a quack and he doesnt give a crap about what I tell him Im feeling! With Hashi's its not as simple as reading only the TSH levels, but he does and thats why since being on Levo (almost a year) I havent dropped any weight, my hair is thinning, and Im so tired! Must keep trying!!
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I guess I still don't understand Hashimoto's. Got diagnosed a year ago. I only go thru "warm spells" occassionally. Most of the time I am cold. I also go thru tired spells. I will be exhausted & need extreme amounts of sleep for weeks then I will be ok & get by with 8 hours. I have been on synthroid about 4 months. Had check up with endo today & she is pleased with my numbers & said to keep losing weight but to try to do 20-30 minutes of cardio a day. I am also on Metformin for pre-diabetes.
  • soniadelgada
    soniadelgada Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I can relate!! I highly dislike Levo...been on it for a year. I've was diagnosed with hypo 8 years ago, and armor thyroid was the best for me. my new doctor switched me to levo a year ago, gained 15 lbs in 5 weeks, thinning hair, tired, chills, etc....awful!! My chiropractor told me to get checked for hashimoto...convinced my doctor to and I have it. Doctor said treatment is the same, but the chiro said I should now get checked for all my allergies and suggested a gluten free diet stat. I've been gluten free for 3 weeks and have dropped 7.5 lbs since. My stomach feels so much better and I'm slowly gaining my energy back!!
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm on T3 only med, maybe slight difference. I had sweat on my fingers running tonight, which hasn't happened since martial arts 2007. I'm normally super cold all the time. Frozen feet and hands. Body temp. = low. Really curious to see if I can hit 98.6. Was getting frustrated at one point because I would be feeling super sick and my hubby would ask my temp. I would say, 99! And it was like, aw that's nothing. Lol.

I just thought today that I should focus on fitness and strength and health... let the scale sit in the corner all by itself. :D
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos as well and switched to Armour (it's actually the generic substitute which I like better than the new armour formulation) and it has made a big difference for me. My doctor looks closer at T3 free and T4 free and the antibodies more than TSH
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new at this group, and just wanted to get this off my chest.

On thursday, I had a follow-up and evaluation after 1,5 months in my gym. My resting heart rate was 47.
    Lately, i think I've been suffering from concentration problems / absent-mindedness
    Whatever I do for work-out, I never ever ever sweat. Even is sauna's, not a drop
    I went to my doctor friday, and he took some blood to see if there was any problem with my thyroid. Up until friday, I had never even heard of a thyroid :-/

I'm getting lab results back monday, and hopefully it'll be okay, but I just wanted to say that I think the sweating thing probably has something to do do with thyroid issues.
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    just had my 6-month check-up after losing a total of 39 pounds since July. all my numbers from the CBC bloodwork were wonderful,down significantly. thyroid still not up to par,so doctor upped my Syntroid to .175.from 150 mcg. getting new script filled tomorrow. anxious to see results from raising mcgs.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    That's kind of interesting. I rarely sweat, but I have been more lately. Zumba usually does it for me. In the past though, I wouldn't sweat at all. It could have been 90 degrees out and rather than sweat, my face would just turn red and I'd feel like passing out, but I'd never sweat a drop.

Sweating is important. Even if it's gross, it helps regulate temperature. A lot of us have trouble regulating our body temperature as it is, so losing the ability to sweat is a problem.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's too and for the first time in years I feel like a normal person except my doc says I am hyper I don't feel anxious or any of the other hyper symptoms and I finally lost some weight. I really hope I don't swing back to hypo!!