I NEVER get a burning stomach, but tonight...

Options
imwithgizmo
imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
I am fairly new to Paleo, and tonight I ate a small piece of 85% organic dark chocolate that I think gave me a burning stomach! I really NEVER have digestive issues at all. So, I think this may have happened a few nights ago too when I ate some. I used to eat it just fine, so if this chocolate is the culprit, I'm sad, but intrigued by why it affects me so.

I will need to test it to make sure. I went cold turkey on the dairy, grains, beans, legumes, and sugar about 2-3 weeks ago. I just wanted to have a very small treat of high quality dark chocolate now and then.

Has anyone experienced this sudden onset of a burning stomach after never having it before?

Replies

• tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people reacting negatively to dark chocolate that had soy lecithin in it.
  • Alyxw
    Alyxw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a burning sensation in my throat after having one type of 85% dark chocolate - was quite strange and unfamiliar... and unpleasant!! So changed brands! It was the Lindt brand...
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It could be something that is added to the chocolate.

Before I did a strict paleo I did a whole food type cleanse program through my Dr. office - one where you are limited to shakes (made up of ground whole foods), veggies and fruits from a list, along with some light meat protien in the form of chicken, fish and either lentils or brown rice...once you are done you slowly start adding food back into yoru diet to see if certain things effect you - based on the principle of a single food item might be causing issues vs some other form of illness..

What I found was my body could not tolerate white mushrooms, portobello is fine but white mushrooms a no go...it could be that once you cleared your body of a bunch of other inflammatory foods that your body doesn't react the same way to certain foods...

Like Alyxw mentioned try switching brands and see if that works.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not the brand as I love them so! But I'll try it again at some point. Thanks all!
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    that's not funny......I had that happen with the lindt 95% but I thought I just won't buy it anymore to dark for my liking