Cant stop binge eating!

Options
Hello all. I have recently gone off of my "workout obsession" and have started to eat literally anything and everything I have wanted the last 4 days in a row. Mostly finding myself eating around 6 chocolate bars a night. RIGHT before bed. It seems as though I go through the day fine and then around 2 pm I get really really tired and start to feel weird/sad so when I leave work I go home and eat and eat and eat. Cry and then eat more. I have no motivation to work out. I would rather be alone with my food. :( Am I eating such a boring diet during the day that I get so tired that I HAVE to have sugar later on or what am I doing wrong? Im so confused and so tired of acting this way! I have gained 3 pounds in 4 days.. What do you guys do to keep yourself from binging?

Thanks so much for your help! Anything you can do to get me out of this rut.. I would be forever greatful!

Replies

• mamo1014
    mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I don't have an answer for you..I wish I did...I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I have the same problem but what I have done, is try to refocus AND I don't buy my comfort foods after I've eaten everything in the fridge and pantry. I'm trying to walk to the mailbox or around the block when I feel like binging. It's going to be a constant battle. I haven't won it yet, but I'm working on it. The main thing is don't give up. Get on this site and find someone to chat with...maybe that will help until the craving passes. Hang in there..be strong...you can do it.
  • mregosd
    mregosd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. When I'm good, I'm good. When I'm bad, it's really bad. I'm on day 3 of binge eating. I'm going to try and come on MFP when I feel one come one (I usually have about a 5 minute window before the destruction starts:). I'm happy to chat with you whenever.
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi hun,

You sound like me. I have an "all or nothing" attitude sometimes, i.e. if I don't get a workout in, then I may as well EAT!

I know it sucks; the feeling that you've "ruined" your day. I find that a power walk outside helps me to take more pleasure in exercise, as opposed to obsessing or using it as punishment. (One thing that pregnancy taught me was to slow the eff down and ENJOY my body.)

in the meantime, is there something else you might replace the chocolate bars with, so that you don't feel quite so miserable post-binge? i.e. baby carrots?

hugs,
    Amber
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and so many of us struggle with this. Have you heard of the book "Brain Over Binge?" Someone one in this group forum suggested it to me. Go and look at the book on Amazon and read all of the reviews, she also has an amazing blog/website. It is written by a women named Kathryn Hansen who is not a doctor, but suffered for many years and has been binge free for I think at least 6 years. She has something interesting things to say and if you really don't agree with her ideas there is still many sufferers who go to her website and offer suggestions and encouragement. She also answers every persons questions herself.

http://www.brainoverbinge.com/Pages/default.aspx

Also, this is just my experience, but I have been a binge/overeater/yo-yo dieter for many years and am finally starting to learn to let go. I am an expert at dieting and also at putting the pounds back on. I have a feeling that many of us in this group are the same way. One thing for me is that I have to have an adequate breakfast (400 calories) and decent lunch or I risk going on a binge starting around 3 or 4 pm. Before, when I would try to diet I would always try and have a smoothie or egg white omelette for breakfast, maybe 200 calories at the most and it never worked, I would be starving later. Also, I have as nutrient dense and whole foods as possible. I am not always perfect at this, but this is what works for me.

You are so young and have your whole life ahead of you and you look to be a healthy weight. Most importantly do not give up on yourself and finding true balance and peace in your life, it can be done.
  • Lkatinas
    Lkatinas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and so many of us struggle with this. Have you heard of the book "Brain Over Binge?" Someone one in this group forum suggested it to me. Go and look at the book on Amazon and read all of the reviews, she also has an amazing blog/website. It is written by a women named Kathryn Hansen who is not a doctor, but suffered for many years and has been binge free for I think at least 6 years. She has something interesting things to say and if you really don't agree with her ideas there is still many sufferers who go to her website and offer suggestions and encouragement. She also answers every persons questions herself.

http://www.brainoverbinge.com/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks for mentioning this! I'm always interested in insightful books like this.
    I checked it out online because I also have been struggling with binging my whole life - I have never been bulimic though. Which way do you think this book leans towards -- binging or bulimia ?
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    From all of the information I have perceived it really is for both issues. Kathryn herself really wasn't a purger, but obsessively exercised. Many of the women that have been helped by her book are binge/over-eaters and not bulimic. It is more about stopping these behaviors that we have conditioned ourselves to and seem to not be able to live without and feel absolutely stuck in these awful viscous cycles of binge/diet/binge. I am going on four weeks of being binge free and that is probably the longest I have gone in over a year. I'm not say that it is over, but I am feeling freer and more confident each day. The gist of her ideas is to not listen to your "lower or animal brain" that craves and absolutely needs the binge, but to rely on your "higher brain." To not even engage the part of your brain that says"I will start tomorrow" or "I will feel better if I do this," to ignore it and not argue with it and go about your day. And soon that "animal brain" will become quieter.

I'm not explaining it well, so if you have the time definitely read the book. Even if you are trying to cope with this in other ways, I don't think it can hurt. I wish you well. :)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    first and foremost you have to go workout..in the morning or in the evening..the high you get from a good workout..and have some proteins(chicken breast,cottage cheese,greek yogurt) later...and you wont feel the cravings..the more sugar you eat..the more you will crave...if you dont have any protein..try taking the good carbs during dinner night such as sweet potato,oatmeal,brown rice..they will keep you full till you fall asleep.Add me if you want to talk or need some encouragement. :)
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I try to distract myself by engaging with other people. I call someone 'just to say hi' or go on FB to a closed group and post something or just see what other people are posting. I have some friends from that group that I Skype with regularly, so I see if anyone is on.

I really try not to skip meals, as that generally sets me up for a binge, but sometimes **** happens and I end up missing a meal or getting the time pushed way off. I have a 'plan' about how to deal with it. I don't like to eat within 2 hours of sleeping, so if it's close to bedtime I go to sleep and eat earlier after waking in the morning. If lunch is pushed back I eat a snack when I can, then my normal dinner. The main point is that I don't get to 'make up for' missing my meal. It's over. I go on with my life.

If I'm craving something mid-afternoon I do best to just have a cup of coffee. That's just what works for me.
  • mommyof4adorablekids
    Options
    I have the same problem but what I found that works for me is I have to just stop eating junk and sugar. I have no self control when it comes to those things. If I have one I eat it till its all gone then go for the next junk food till I feel like complete crap! There is no cheat days for me because they always turn into cheat days and weeks. Im on day 3 of no sweets and day 5 of no soda and i feel so much better. Your not alone just find out what works for you.
  • Andriay36
    Andriay36 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so awesome!
    It is such a relief for me to realize that other people experience the same cravings, at the same time of day as I do. From 2:30 on I am so vulnerable- if I have one bite of something sweet, I will eat it all. Usually I tell myself- "I'll only have one cookie", but i never stop at one. NEVER! And my husband does the groceries and he buys cookies, granola bars, nutella, ice cream, chocolate syrup and bags of chips. It is so hard to resist, and he wants to keep eating these foods (he doesn't binge, and doesn't seem to gain weight!). And now that Halloween has passed, there's even more junk in the house...
    Writing here and reading people's posts really helps. It distracts me enough to allow me to know whether I'm really hungry or not.
    So far this is day #1 binge free. I'll be visiting this site ALOT!
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I have recently gone off of my "workout obsession" and have started to eat literally anything and everything I have wanted the last 4 days in a row. Mostly finding myself eating around 6 chocolate bars a night. RIGHT before bed. It seems as though I go through the day fine and then around 2 pm I get really really tired and start to feel weird/sad so when I leave work I go home and eat and eat and eat. Cry and then eat more. I have no motivation to work out. I would rather be alone with my food. :( Am I eating such a boring diet during the day that I get so tired that I HAVE to have sugar later on or what am I doing wrong? Im so confused and so tired of acting this way! I have gained 3 pounds in 4 days.. What do you guys do to keep yourself from binging?

Thanks so much for your help! Anything you can do to get me out of this rut.. I would be forever greatful!

Mine seems to be Potato Chips Whenever the least emotional upset hits I down a bag of chips in a sitting.. It is so upsetting so I understand your feelings I really find that I binge like this when I'm not 'aware' of my feelings and not 'mindful' of what I'm eating. I read Brain over Binge and did not find it helpful. I did find Mindful Eating; Intuitive Eating more helpful; and meditating/walking etc, but I still find that I binge like this after my coping with stressors has been exhausted. (or I'm exhausted from little rest)