In pain and frustrated

Options
I am having a pressure/fullness pain every time I eat or drink (more than a few sips at a time). This pain starts on my left side under the lower part of my rib cage. Over the next hour it progresses to my right side. Then it becomes very uncomfortable to even sit.
I went to my GI today and he said it's not related to my UC, "he thinks". So he said he would call in a prescription for hycosamine? After looking up the med when I got home, with a side effect of constipation I don't want to risk it. I have had horrible bouts with constipation, as in now having a bm for over 14 days. Bentyl was tried before that and it didn't work. I have never had a pain like this with my UC. I am not having blood or D. I am having several BM's a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to relieve this pain, what direction to go find out what this is?

Replies

• lafresita
    Options
    Could it be attributed to IBS? Many people have both IBD and IBS concurrently. I have battled with similar symptoms on and off for the last few years. Some things to try:

- Digestive enzymes
    - Not drinking any liquids with, or 20 mins before or after meals (so as not to dilute your body's own digestive juices)
    - Avoiding gas producing foods: legumes, cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, Kale) garilc and onions
    - Or try eating liquid meals for a few days: soups, smoothies and juiceswhich are easier for your body to digest
    - Avoiding highly acidic foods
    - For me- avoiding dairy and red meat

I find exercise after meals and a hot compress also help
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think I am doing a light/liquid meal plan for the next few days. Load up on probiotics and hope it helps.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you're having several BMs a day, how could it hurt? I'd try it. Side effects don't affect everyone. Give it a shot. I hope you feel better.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've got severe tailbone pain lately. That's new to me.