Input needed on Weighing in 2 part ?

Options
I haven't weighed in yet I weighed in at a Dr.'s consultation on the 12th but I haven't weighed in again Tomorrow will be 1 week since I began my lifestyle change of

Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time

I know my body has changed already because of the work I have put in with my nutrition / meal plan parameters and my exercise but I am scarred to get on the scale- it can *MESS* with my mind- if I didn't loose what I thought I can easily get down on myself(past experience) or if I lost more than I thought (thinking oh I got this licked) lol a 3lb loss can make me think I got this 189lbs I have to loose licked- the mind is an amazing thing lol. I haven't figured out my psych approach to weighing- what my mindset needs to be to maintain forward progress and healthful living experience.

So when did you weigh the "1st" time during your loss/ healthful living experience

How often do you weigh in?

I am seriously considering doing it at the Dr's office every three months or every month

RaNae

Replies

• ladyrhyanon
    Options
    I haven't weighed in yet I weighed in at a Dr.'s consultation on the 12th but I haven't weighed in again Tomorrow will be 1 week since I began my lifestyle change of

I know my body has changed already because of the work I have put in with my nutrition / meal plan parameters and my exercise but I am scarred to get on the scale- it can *MESS* with my mind- if I didn't loose what I thought I can easily get down on myself(past experience) or if I lost more than I thought (thinking oh I got this licked) lol a 3lb loss can make me think I got this 189lbs I have to loose licked- the mind is an amazing thing lol. I haven't figured out my psych approach to weighing- what my mindset needs to be to maintain forward progress and healthful living experience.

So when did you weigh the "1st" time during your loss/ healthful living experience

How often do you weigh in?

I am seriously considering doing it at the Dr's office every three months or every month

RaNae

I have read several places that its probably best to go by measurements and weigh in once a month. I'm going to try that myself. I think that will give me a more accurate picture of our results.
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    I have read that you are really only suppose to weigh yourself like one a week. But i have been weighing everyday. But i am probably going to go to once a week.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies gals I appreciate it. Because of our schedule I won't be able to take first measurements till this Sunday. A MFP Friend saw my post on the feed and sent me a message explaining why she weighs on Friday -because she doesn't get discourage on Monday by the weekends food happenings. Made sense to me so I am gonna weigh once a week starting tomorrow.

RaNae
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record it on Mondays.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I weigh in only weekly, I use an eletronic scale in the same spot in my house. Because I don't have health insurance I can't go see a doctor for something like that, but eh.

Weekly is the best way- because being a nervous scaler just is no fun.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day (first thing in the morning), and have been doing this since I began my weight loss mission on May 9th. I record a loss of 1 whole pound or more. My scale keeps me informed and in check :wink:
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Before I joined MFP I was losing about 2lbs a week (91bs total) but since I've joined here I've only managed to lose another 2lbs which is disappointing. I weigh myself every day. When I was losing it was encouraging to see the scales going down and now it's a bit demoralising but it keeps me determined either way. Although it is disheartening not to have lost more weight I have learnt to pay equal measure to other things such as feeling better, feeling more toned and knowing that this new lifestyle must be better for me in the long run. I am not about to give up but I understand how you feel. No matter what the scales say you can decide what you are going to eat and what exercise you will do. We all have to find what works for us...I'm looking forward to seeing your progress..:)
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - although I just started two days ago. Only Sunday morning 'counts'. I weight daily not so I can torture myself with what the number says, but to look for patterns. Is it always up on Wednesday? or maybe the day after I have dinner out? I just got a new scale and all I have to do is step on it, it does everything else for me.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have learnt to pay equal measure to other things such as feeling better, feeling more toned and knowing that this new lifestyle must be better for me in the long run. I am not about to give up but I understand how you feel. No matter what the scales say you can decide what you are going to eat and what exercise you will do. We all have to find what works for us...I'm looking forward to seeing your progress..:)

First thank you for sharing this I am so glad because I can choose to have the same positive attitude also. Keep it in the front of your thoughts- be open to what the universe has for you and it will reveal the next step you need to take to keep moving forward... I'm looking forward to being your friend and watching your progress also.

It is so interesting how we all choose to weigh differently and for different reasons.

I now will be weighing 2 x a week Friday and Sunday. Sunday because I joined a Biggest Looser Challenge- GO BLACK TEAM.

RaNae
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I weighed in pretty quickly using the Doctors scales, took me a few weeks to find one that would go high enough for home use. Now I weigh in Every Friday and take measurements every 2 weeks. I am in a Friday weigh in group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8463-friday-weigh-in-s that reminds me to weigh in and be accountable for my results.
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do weekly weigh ins and measure monthly.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So the big problem with daily weigh ins, is that your bio rythem changes. Such as if you haven't pooped, or ate a little less or more the day before. Or for females, you're on your menstruation cycle (or some other hormonal response).

It fluxiates, and can be terrible disheartening then a boon almost roller coaster like.

My two cents, spend the extra dosh to get a good scale, and do it weekly. Measure monthly, it's a sure fire way to get a good read out if you're keeping a routine of (weekly/daily) workouts and good eating habits.
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to be ADDICTED to that number on the scale. And it was great, because when I first started really TRYING to lose weight, that number was on a steep slide down. I was a cardio queen, and it showed.

This time around, I'm stronger and in better shape to start out. That number? Not moving so quickly. After three months at this, it's only gone down 14lbs. Last time this far in, I was down almost 40. Oddly enough, I'm at about the same number now.

I don't own a scale anymore. I weigh myself at the gym on Saturday mornings. I take note, and then I move on. I have to, or I'll go insane.

Props to those who can weigh themselves every day. Just remember to be consistent with timing, because weight can fluctuate several pounds throughout the day.

As for me? Once a week maximum. I'm getting stronger, my clothes are fitting better, and I know I'm headed in the right direction. :)
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily.

I find it is a nice tool to help my focus, and I look forward to it. But I really also try to remember it is just a number and not a true definition of my successes. My diabetes going in remission was far more important of a NSV to me than any number on the scale. My increased stamina for exercise is a big NSV. I am starting to be able to cross my legs again, another important NSV for me. These things all matter to me.

The scale is useful though. It lets me see a lot, ie, like my water weight fluctuations and patterns. I don't expect daily losses, and even accept the gains I see with water changes. As a whole, my weight is decreasing and I am fine with that. (I do get a bit annoyed if it doesn't move like last week it seemed stagnant. But them in the past two days I dropped almost 4 pounds. Who knows...LOL

I totally understand that many prefer to weigh weekly and my thought is whatever works best for each individual and keeps your mental focus where it needs to be, then awesome!

I had some frustrations with our old scale that kept kicking off variances....but we bought a new one a few weeks ago that actually weighs up to 440 and does body fat etc. It seems to be giving me very accurate and consistent readings. That helped my sanity a lot, because now I feel like it is accurate and I can adjust my nutrition and exercise as I see patterns.
  • vilose
    vilose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I find that when I weight daily, I get anxiety. ;) If I have a bad water drinking day then I may go up a pound or two depending on what I ate.