Does anyone else?

Options
Does anyone else get frustrated when they see pics of smaller folks in the before and after pics. Not hating but my 10 lbs lost barely shows and they loose 4 sizes or so. I think this is one of the most frustrating things for me when it comes to weight loss. I guess because I have so much extra that it's going to take so much loss to even show.

Replies

• sassynurse78
    Options
    I do get a little down about seeing people that put up before and after pictures when they had only twenty pounds to lose in the first place, or they start a exercise program and tone up and they look awesome. I'm sure it is jealousy and some shame that i had let myself get to this point in the first place. It is especially frustrating to me when I know I have lost weight and my clothes are looser and I run into someone I haven't seen for awhile and they don't notice :( I just keep telling myself that pretty soon I will have some before and afters to post.
  • pabd1405
    Options
    Hello Ladies.

I am new to this group and I started last year at 322 lbs. Today I am at 270 lbs. Not a big loss but because of mostly exercise not only have i reshapened my body but I am a lot more stronger and stable. I could not get off the couch without help and now I can do it myself. I could not reach behind my back to do up my own bra and now it is easy. Stick with it and it will come to you. I was in terrible shape and like you hated to see skinny people cheer me on because they could not possibly know what I was going thru. The aches and pains were horrible. I have suffered many injuries over the last year but today I went to my Dr. and I have eliminate by Diabete's and my thyroid is back working. I still have a long way to go but just that 1 hour three times a week with a trainer who comes to my house, Lord I would never go to a gym, has kept me accountable. Go girls go!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating. I try not to spent much time reading/focus on the smaller loss posts. They are in a very different place than I am and whatever isn't supporting/helping me in my journey. It's not that I'm not happy for them, because I am. My time and energy has limits and I must prioritize what I spend it on. Which is my journey and others who are on the
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    same road.

I keep telling myself I am worth it.

We can do this!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Honestly I havent had that feeling about that topic but I can relate to the actual feeling- for me it was seeing others pregnant or with babies- my out of control eating and habits have prevented me from getting pregnant- but that is what it is- I have forgiven myself for that.

So I can relate to having that feeling of frustration inside of you

Someday soon you will get that - gee did you do your hair different did you get new clothes.... at first they will be able to tell something is different but not put their finger on it and then a lil after that you'll be getting the gee you look great you been loosing weight??

Till then keep coming here and we all will dote love and kudos upon u!!

I gotta go clean lol tteveryone l8r
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    Oh yes! I do get jealous only cause i have so much to lose.
    Like i just lost 20 pounds and i can't even tell i lost any! :(
    But all we can do is keep on and we WILL see the results!
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Its hard to see some post where the girls at 135 call themselves fat. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw that number. It gets very discouraging mostly because their struggle is so very different from mine. I'm not worried about the cute two piece yet I'm worried about the arthritis. I'm worried about not being able to get up off the may at my daughters karate class. While I have met some great people on mfp I just find at times its hard relate
  • ladyrhyanon
    Options
    I can totally relate to all of the posts. I have to lose over 40 lbs or so for someone to notice it on me. However, I am learning to worry about what I think and not what others do. It takes time though. I have been struggling for the past few months just to maintain the weight I have and not go up anymore.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I take progress pics of myself weekly so that when I am feeling discouraged, I can stare at them until I make myself see the changes (even tiny ones) that my body is making. I am really trying to focus inward and not compare my eating, exercise, or progress with others so that I stay encouraged and positive.

And yes, it's hard than a B&^%#!!!!! :tongue:
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It is especially frustrating to me when I know I have lost weight and my clothes are looser and I run into someone I haven't seen for awhile and they don't notice :(

How about I went out a bought a dressy shirt in a 22 and Hubby didn't even notice! I started out in a 32/34.
  • melonheadPHX
    Options
    I experienced many of the frustrations y'all have mentioned (and I recognize that it's easier for men to recover). All I can do is mention a few things that I learned in the past couple of years:

1. Don't diet. You must instead 'change to a healthier lifestyle'. Look at it as permanent correction of a bad habit, not a temporary fix.
    2. Throw away your scale (or at least hide it). Your weight is relatively impertinent, and it will shift up and down constantly as you become healthier. You should only weigh-in once a month or so. Use tangible goals to gauge your progress instead, such as 'I hiked my route twice for the first time', or 'I just donated all my XXL shirts'.
    3. Ignore the mirror until you are 8-12 months along -- the changes are gradual and you won't be able to easily perceive them (and if you are like me, you don't have a good body image to begin with). Once you've been at it for at least 6 months or so, visit someone you haven't seen in a while (a chance to reconnect w/ a friend) -- you're likely to get a huge boost when they see your progress.
    4. Estimate your exercise conservatively (round down to the nearest 100), and your calorie intake liberally (round up to the nearest 50).
    5. Stick with it. At times it will be will easier than anticipated, and other times, it will ROYALLY SUCK! Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....just keep swimming.
    6. Don't cheat. If you go searching for an excuse, any will do. You can convince yourself of just about anything (esp when chocolate cheesecake is involved).
  • ladyrhyanon
    Options
    I experienced many of the frustrations y'all have mentioned (and I recognize that it's easier for men to recover). All I can do is mention a few things that I learned in the past couple of years:

1. Don't diet. You must instead 'change to a healthier lifestyle'. Look at it as permanent correction of a bad habit, not a temporary fix.
    2. Throw away your scale (or at least hide it). Your weight is relatively impertinent, and it will shift up and down constantly as you become healthier. You should only weigh-in once a month or so. Use tangible goals to gauge your progress instead, such as 'I hiked my route twice for the first time', or 'I just donated all my XXL shirts'.
    3. Ignore the mirror until you are 8-12 months along -- the changes are gradual and you won't be able to easily perceive them (and if you are like me, you don't have a good body image to begin with). Once you've been at it for at least 6 months or so, visit someone you haven't seen in a while (a chance to reconnect w/ a friend) -- you're likely to get a huge boost when they see your progress.
    4. Estimate your exercise conservatively (round down to the nearest 100), and your calorie intake liberally (round up to the nearest 50).
    5. Stick with it. At times it will be will easier than anticipated, and other times, it will ROYALLY SUCK! Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....just keep swimming.
    6. Don't cheat. If you go searching for an excuse, any will do. You can convince yourself of just about anything (esp when chocolate cheesecake is involved).

I like this!
  • ladyrhyanon
    Options
    I take progress pics of myself weekly so that when I am feeling discouraged, I can stare at them until I make myself see the changes (even tiny ones) that my body is making. I am really trying to focus inward and not compare my eating, exercise, or progress with others so that I stay encouraged and positive.

I like this idea too. maybe wearing the same clothes every time.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get frustrated when they see pics of smaller folks in the before and after pics. Not hating but my 10 lbs lost barely shows and they loose 4 sizes or so. I think this is one of the most frustrating things for me when it comes to weight loss. I guess because I have so much extra that it's going to take so much loss to even show.

Eh....not really. If anything people get jealous when I post my exercise calorie burns on my newsfeed. I use a Polar HRM and average 800-1100 an hr.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I like this idea too. maybe wearing the same clothes every time.

Exactly! I have one set in a matching sports bra/shorts (I take it in my bathroom every two weeks or so), another set in my swimsuit (taken by a swim classmate every month), and a set of me in my work clothes (taken by a colleague every two weeks). I make side-by-side progress photos using them very often. It really helps with the motivation and also with deciding next steps with my fitness routine based on my body's changes :smile:
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any of these pics but can understand your thinking. Good for anyone who doesn't have much weight to lose, good for anyone who loses any weight (who knows they might be more hung up about carrying a few extra pounds than I am about being twice the size I should be!), good for us for making a start and when we reach our goals we can really celebrate our amazing achievements.:love:
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options

this is my new bible
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I try my best to stay away from before/after topics where the poster has lost under 40 pounds, just because I do have those feelings of jealousy too. Besides, when I look at those pictures, rather than feeling inspired I end up feeling down because I feel like I'll never be in that position even if I work really hard...so rather than feel like that, I avoid situations that could create that feeling cause I'm trying to be more positive towards myself and my journey.
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing those pics too! But I try to envision that being my pic some day and use it for motivation. It's hard, but no one is happy with their own body, not even the skinny folks
  • CloganPhoto
    Options
    I try not to look at pictures of skinny folks! LOL

I don't really have a choice though since my sister is my polar opposite, works out for hours everyday, and loves to post pictures of her toned tummy. She works hard and it pays off. She motivates me and makes me SICK all at the same time!

So yes I do get a little peeved. ;)