Protein Puzzler

Options
AEB_WV
AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
So I've been reading that to gain muscle and lose fat will help to eat 1g protein per pound of body weight.

Is this even possible without suplements?

What are some good/high sources of protein in your diet that are relatively low in calories?

Replies

• Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've read you need .8 to 1 gram per LEAN body mass. Not your total weight. That's why I add protein powder to my yogurt, my pancakes, even have a recipe for cupcakes that uses a sugar-free devils food cake, coke zero, protein powder, and an egg that was yummy.
  • AEB_WV
    Options
    doh! I knew I was misinterpreting something. How do you calculate lean body mass? I'm pretty sure I'm 50% not lean lol
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, I am only supposed to eat 70g of protein. I always go over this amount. I only eat portions of meat and still go over. For instance, today I had a piece of wheat toast (3g), chicken breast (26g), Lettuce (1g), Broccoli (3g), soup (20g), noodles (5g), Saltines (1g), and peanut butter crackers (4g). A few other foods I had today is not listed because there was no protein. I am at 63g and have 7g more I can eat. If I eat a snack tonight, it will probably put me over. Is this good or bad? I don't really think it matters as long as you are eating balanced meals. You have to eat from all the foods groups to get all the nutrients you need. It just makes sense! And as long as I'm within my calorie allowance, I should be good to go!
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein really low. You can go with anywhere from .8g per pound of LBM to 1g per pound of body weight, depending on who you ask and how much you strength train.
  • Larisonlj
    Options
    doh! I knew I was misinterpreting something. How do you calculate lean body mass? I'm pretty sure I'm 50% not lean lol
    Here's one calculator you can use to figure it out.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/lbm-calculator.html
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    But how do I know what my percent body fat is? Is that my BMI? -- Ugh! This stuff is so complicated!
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    I've tried 'em all, and this body fat calculator worked best (and easiest) for me.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm
  • Larisonlj
    Options
    But how do I know what my percent body fat is? Is that my BMI? -- Ugh! This stuff is so complicated!

Here's another suggestion for a calculator as well.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
  • AEB_WV
    Options
    I used on on ehow that calculates % body fat based on waist measurement. With that 1gm protein to lean would b 97.4 gm protein for me. .8 is 78 ish a little more do-able but still a lot!
    I've just read that the more protein you eat the more likely your body will burn fat vs muscle. So by that reasoning, the more fat you lose, the more protein you need?
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    I think it's really about nourishing the lean muscle you have, and building new. You need protein for that. But besides all that, it fills you up and sustains you longer than carbs, which as we all know from eating at Chinese all-you-can-eat buffets, fill you up real well for about two hours...

My lean body mass is about 117 lbs., so I try to hit 100-120g a day on days I'm stressing my muscles, but in reality that means I'll average about 90g/day averaged over the week, which I think is fine.

Fish is my favorite natural protein source. Protein powders & drinks are WAAAAY better than they were in the good ol' days! ;c)