I want to hear from those who have lost at least 5 pounds

Options
Momwasix
Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
Hi i hope my post wasn't rude It's just I'm getting frustrated. Yes i gave up em2wl cause i can't seem to accept the philosophy of it so i said i would go at it in a different approach. i want to hear from you who have lost at least 5 pounds and inches while following the philosophy. Maybe by reading the stories of those who have or still are on this quest can help me embrace this cause I'm a chick who likes to eat and if i can eat and weigh less I'm down .Okay I'm 34 5"6 193. my goal weight 170.m-f I'm doing housekeeping from 830 to 4 pm. I workout 5 to 6 days a week mostly turbo fire turbo jam or taebo. I have weight training videos as well. what do you think my bmr and tdee is.

Replies

• deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    go to the scooby website and put in ur stats. that should help u

i started out doing a reset for 3 months then i went straight to the TDEE- 15% cut. i have lost about 15 pounds on this philosophy, i eat about 2100 calories per day and only work out for 30 mins a day.

u cant give up after 2 weeks, u have to stick with it.
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 pounds total and probably about 20 of that on EM2WL. I've also lost significant inches thanks to incorporating weight training (I didn't measure when I started, but there's a visible difference in photos). I usually eat between 1800-2300 calories, depending on my workout schedule. It really does work, but it takes time. I've been at this for about 26 weeks, so I've lost a little less than a pound a week, even with a significant amount of weight to lose.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Have you read through the Progress threads?

I have lost 15 lbs following EM2WL.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I've lost 23 pounds total and probably about 20 of that on EM2WL. I've also lost significant inches thanks to incorporating weight training (I didn't measure when I started, but there's a visible difference in photos). I usually eat between 1800-2300 calories, depending on my workout schedule. It really does work, but it takes time. I've been at this for about 26 weeks, so I've lost a little less than a pound a week, even with a significant amount of weight to lose.

It definitely takes time and patience but know you are doing the best thing for your body.

It has taken me over 6 months to lose 15 pounds but I lost 15 lbs of fat, no muscle loss. People who are losing quickly are also losing significant amounts of muscle with the fat. So while I have only lost 15 lbs I have also lost many inches and 2 clothing sizes.
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So far I have lost about 15 pounds in 1.5 months by eating a 20% cut from TDEE and trying to not eat below my BMR.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this string of conversation started. I was frustrated this am and was told I probably needed to go up on calories So I wore my HRM all day with excercise I found out that I should be eating 2338 cal each day after my 20% cut out of my TDEE I wasn't eating anywhere close to that (about 1700- 1800 and craving carbs still exhausted!)

I'm uping my Calories for 4 weeks with focus on quality and weight training. If it takes a year to get my weight off so be it I'd rather be healthy and able to maintain a good caloric intake than skinny and barely able to eat.

Thanks for the inspiration ladies!!!
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So I wore my HRM all day with excercise I found out that I should be eating 2338 cal each day after my 20% cut out of my TDEE I wasn't eating anywhere close to that (about 1700- 1800 and craving carbs still exhausted!)
    i don't think HRM give an accurate measure for all day wear? hopefully someone who knows the science reasoning behind it can step in, but my understanding is that they are only accurate for exercise?
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So I wore my HRM all day with excercise I found out that I should be eating 2338 cal each day after my 20% cut out of my TDEE I wasn't eating anywhere close to that (about 1700- 1800 and craving carbs still exhausted!)
    i don't think HRM give an accurate measure for all day wear? hopefully someone who knows the science reasoning behind it can step in, but my understanding is that they are only accurate for exercise?

yes, this!^^
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options

yes, this!^^

Yes, this. HRMs are not meant to be worn all day and will not give an accurate read so you could need more or less than what it is saying. Bodymedia or a fitbit device are okay to wear all day to give you a more accurate picture.

What are your stats and what is your total exercise for the week/what type do you do and what is your daily life like? (e.g. desk job, stay at home mom etc.)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 15 lbs on calorie restriction - from 196 to 181 lbs. Once I increased my workouts and started EM2WL I've only lost 10 lbs and now weigh 171 lbs. BUT, I've dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 (my goal was an 8, which I hit 2.5 months ago), from 33% BF to 25% BF, and below are all of my other fitness stats. In fact the last time I was at a size 8 I weighed 163 lbs...and now I weigh 171 lbs and a size 6. There is a lot more than a number on a scale and all of the other things are SO.MUCH.MORE.REWARDING.

Before-->after stats from Nov 2011 to Oct 2012.
    5'11"
    196 lbs-->171 lbs
    33% BF-->25% BF
    Size 14-->Size 6
    Resting HR 85 bpm-->65 bpm
    Distance run before stopping to walk: 1/2 mile-->3 miles
    Push-ups: 3 on my knees -->18 on my toes (standard), 60 if I take short 30-60 sec breaks every 12-15
    Plank: 15 sec on my knees-->2 min standard, 90 sec with unsteady arms (bosu ball), 90 sec with unsteady+raised feet (exercise ball). I can also do cable pulls while planking.
    Side Plank: 10 sec on my knees-->90 sec on my toes with one arm or one leg raised. I can also do cable pulls while planking.
    Bench press: 16 lbs-->105 lbs
    Shoulder press: 16 lbs-->65 lbs
    Lat pull down: 50 lbs--->140 lbs
    Pull ups: 130 lb assist-->48 lb assist
    Squat: body weight-->110 lb + body weight
    Deadlift (straight leg): 40 lb-->110 lb
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone, your progress is amazing and it's proof we don't need to starve our bodies to lose weight! I wish everyone knew this!
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 15 lbs on calorie restriction - from 196 to 181 lbs. Once I increased my workouts and started EM2WL I've only lost 10 lbs and now weigh 171 lbs. BUT, I've dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 (my goal was an 8, which I hit 2.5 months ago), from 33% BF to 25% BF, and below are all of my other fitness stats. In fact the last time I was at a size 8 I weighed 163 lbs...and now I weigh 171 lbs and a size 6. There is a lot more than a number on a scale and all of the other things are SO.MUCH.MORE.REWARDING.

Before-->after stats from Nov 2011 to Oct 2012.
    5'11"
    196 lbs-->171 lbs
    33% BF-->25% BF
    Size 14-->Size 6
    Resting HR 85 bpm-->65 bpm
    Distance run before stopping to walk: 1/2 mile-->3 miles
    Push-ups: 3 on my knees -->18 on my toes (standard), 60 if I take short 30-60 sec breaks every 12-15
    Plank: 15 sec on my knees-->2 min standard, 90 sec with unsteady arms (bosu ball), 90 sec with unsteady+raised feet (exercise ball). I can also do cable pulls while planking.
    Side Plank: 10 sec on my knees-->90 sec on my toes with one arm or one leg raised. I can also do cable pulls while planking.
    Bench press: 16 lbs-->105 lbs
    Shoulder press: 16 lbs-->65 lbs
    Lat pull down: 50 lbs--->140 lbs
    Pull ups: 130 lb assist-->48 lb assist
    Squat: body weight-->110 lb + body weight
    Deadlift (straight leg): 40 lb-->110 lb

Amazing!!! Thanks for posting this, you've done a fantastic job :)
  • Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started EM2WL within the first week of starting MFP. I didn't do a reset because I never ate at a large deficit before.

I am 36, 5'6.5".
    SW on MFP 180.7 lbs
    CW 149.5 lbs
    So that's on average a pound a week (although the progress was most definitely not linear!)
    I have lost about 8% body fat (measured at the gym with callipers)
    I do weight training three times a week and walk my dogs every other day or so depending on the weather.
    I ate at a 20% cut most of the time (40/30/30), although sometimes it was a smaller cut and I tried to incorporate spike days every now and then.
    I have also taken two diet breaks of a week during this time.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You've had amazing success. Good for you! Here is what I come up with (of course just estimates):

BMR: 1639
    TDEE: 2828 (I chose the 6-7 days/week exercise option)

If I were you (since I love to eat as well) is eat about 1900, never go below 1639 and try to stay under 2828 on your "indulgent" days. Try to cut back on cardio to 2 hours a week and increase your strength to 3 days a week. Try to eat 30% of your diet in proteins (this is really important!)

Here is what I do:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/120weeks

It's not the official EM2WL way but I've lost 30 pounds eating more. I really wanted to eat on my non-workout days which is why I was so drawn to the EM2WL philosophy. I had to tweak it to suit "me". I'm losing slowly, super strong, and am not attached to the scale.

YOU CAN DO IT! You've come really far!
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of MFP only about a month and a good portion of the time I've been a member of EM2WL. It's an interesting approach, but I embraced it. I found out what my TDEE (+\- 2300) and what my BMR (+\- 1500) were and focused on those numbers. On an average day I eat about 1800 calories (so about in the middle).

Like you I'm 5'6" and 34. My weight started out at 169 and now I'm at 161. My waist started at 30.5 and now it's at just below 29.

You've got to find a fitness regiment that's right for you, everyone's is different. Pick something you'll stick with. Something I've found works for me is doing a 10-minute circuit work out. I have 10 minutes to spare at the end of my day and not only does it kick in e endorphins after I'm finished, I know I've made progress to get closer to my goal weight of 145.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I know it's still early days and I wasn't purposely trying to follow the eat more to weigh less concept, but in the last three weeks I have lost 6.6lbs and my average intake each day has been my tdee!(1755). I have also lost one inch on my waist.
  • Happy2BeMichelle
    Options
    On low calories, I gained 2lbs. On EM2WL I have lost 20 lbs ( well weigh-in is tomorrow but according to the past two days I am down). Trust the process and give it time.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of inspiration here and I think what everyone is saying is you have to be patient and trust in the process. It makes total sense. We did not get overweight and out of shape overnight, so getting fit and happy with our bodies is going to take time. Patience is the key here, and good support. I've been doing this for 5 weeks and it's terrifying when I've been programmed to deprive myself and eat salads while everyone else is enjoying food. I haven't gained a pound since significantly upping my calories. I'm thinking I need to go even higher... now that I'm comfortable with this first step. Good luck and give it an honest shot.
  • kelny
    kelny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to loose weight for the last 2.5 years. I was 230 lbs (5 foot 10 female) and am now 182. For the first year I only excersised by walking, but 1.5 years ago joined a gym and did weights and cardio. I have always prefered weights to cardio and I like my food! Have only just found this forum and have seen that I have been doing pretty much what is recommended for the last year and a half. I have never done a low calorie diet, but since "dieting" have tried to eat healthy bulky food and cut out some unnecessary calories. Since i started my "diet" i have consistently eaten between 2000 and 2500 calories a day, sometimes more. A huge difference in body shape happened in the last 6 months since i have been taking the advice of a personal trainer who encourages women to strength train and lift as heavy weights as possible. So now I still eat 2000 - 2500 cals a day, go to the gym 3x a week and lift heavy weights. I use cardio equipment only for 5 mins as a warm up and do high intensity cardio for 8 minutes only (3x week). So this seems to work for me... I think if you like food, dont like to be hungry, and find strength training satisfying then this is the way to go.