Getting Enough protein.

Options
My Doctor has recently given me the go ahead to begin to eat, and he has upped the amount of protein that I need to ingest to 120 grams a day. I find that I can barely make half that. What does everyone else do to get their protein?

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Since eating enough solid food is probably going to be an issue for a while, your best bet is to supplement solid food with protein shakes. Good quality protein in fat free milk can add 30 to 35 grams of protein per serving. Trying to get that much extra protein from solid food might lead to grazing, which for me would be worse.
  • lamcnenly
    lamcnenly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of protein! My surgeon wants me at a minimum of 80g. I think a big key is always eating quality protein first, then if you're running short, maybe supplement with a protein shake?
  • pugmomma1951
    pugmomma1951 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am calling my Doctor tomorrow to talk to the nurse. I may have gotten it wrong. I really dislike the protein drinks I have tried so far. That is part of my problem.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    A lot of people really dislike their protein drinks. I was lucky enough to find one that is high quality protein and delicious to boot. The brand is GoodHealth, but unfortunately it's a store brand for a small local chain. Try some more if you can, and hopefully you'll find one you like. Some online stores have sample packets of different types.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Even at 6 months out I cant eat enough to make my protein goal of 100gm/day. I just had my 6 month follow up and he recommended that I increase my protein even more on the days I work out! There is no way I could do it without shake supplements. Just keep trying different ones until you find what you like. There are also ways to get more protein for your buck when you eat. I use plain greek yogurt a lot. I use it in anyplace that one would normally use mayo. I also eat a lot of cottage cheese. Relatively low in calories and packed with good things like calcium and protein. One suggestion for the protein shakes...try adding flavors to make them more palatable to you. I have a wide variety of sugar free coffee syrups that I use for everything. I even have one that is a toasted marshmallow flavor that is awesome! I use them not only in my shakes, but to add flavor to my greek yogurt, cream cheese, ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. Best of luck to you!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am calling my Doctor tomorrow to talk to the nurse. I may have gotten it wrong. I really dislike the protein drinks I have tried so far. That is part of my problem.
    At this point in your journey I highly recommend seeking answers from your Doctor or his group. Very important to follow their lead since many people get different directions.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I detest protein shakes of all kinds. I have been using Isopure, it is a liquid rather than a shake. Sort of like Kool-Aid. I keep it in a cup over ice and sip on it all day. There is also a protein candy by protica. It is only 1 oz and has 15 grams of protein. I have not tried it but will be ordering some to help with my protein intake. Good luck.
  • pugmomma1951
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I checked in with my Doctor's nurse, and she said try for at least 60 gms of protein. I did find a Chike chocolate protein shake that is pretty good, so I am going to try their other flavors also.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if you struggle also try making a milky drink with added marvel(dried milk) in it pretty high in protein on both counts x
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I also add the protein shakes and bars almost everyday. All good tips, thanks for sharing everyone!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with this as well. If i drink enough protien shakes, i really can't eat and still stay under the 800 calorie guideline for WLS (i'm only 6 weeks out). I hated, hated, the protien shakes. Found Intek - which is a watery creamy gatorade and has 30g of protien per scoop. I can put two scoops in one bottle of water without it getting thick, so that helps a lot. Also the isopure, has even more protien per scoop but doesn't have any vitamins i think, but another protien option. it's really difficult!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am only trying to get in 60+ grams and struggle doing hat. Protein shakes if you can make it happen, but now that I eat real food it is through beef jerky. 1 oz. has 14 grams. It helps when i want to snack or when others are eating potato chips and stuff.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Protein candy. 1 Oz of candy gives 15 gr of protein and 1 serving of fruits and vegetables. I am hoping this will help me. I am losing too much of my hair. :sad:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Protein candy. 1 Oz of candy gives 15 gr of protein and 1 serving of fruits and vegetables. I am hoping this will help me. I am losing too much of my hair. :sad:
    You hair will grow back but still get in as much protien as you can.
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use the PREMIER PROTEIN, the chocolate is easy to drink but vanilla is best blended with some strawberries (smoothie).
    I also use the ISOPURE it comes in so many different flavors from a fruit punch to a cookies and cream ~ tons of protein and vitamins.
    I loveNON FAT plain greek yogurt too... out of all of them the FAGE brand is by far the best taste.

in the morning I make a smoothie with a vanilla protein shake, a 1/2 cup of Fage greek yogurt , and 8-10 frozen strwberries blended with some ice = it makes a whole blender but I drink it all morning it's thick and smooth and soooo good !
    I get about 50g of protein in that smoothie !! YUM :)

Sorry... I get 63 g of protein in that smoothie and only 3g of fat !
  • pugmomma1951
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I find that most food that I used to enjoy tastes gross to me now. I used to really enjoy beef jerky, but I think it tastes off now. My sister gave me a jar of Nectar Fuzzy Navel that I use in the evening when I find I am still a little low on protein. 23 grams of protein isn't bad. But I keep trying new things and usually won't eat anything unless there is some protein in it.
  • MSCoastRPh
    Options
    I am late in posting on this topic but I use GNC Amp Wheybolic chocolate. I love the taste and it has 60gms of protein for only 280 calories and 2 gms of sugar. I often do 1 1/2 scoops in the am (30gm) and then another that night if I still haven't gotten in my 70-80 gms or the day.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting it too. Beef Jerky Helps but is high in sodium.