Denied :'{ Frustrated!!!!!

Options
:grumble: FRUSTRATED!! Received a letter from my insurance today: "we are unable to substantiate medical necessity for laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy"

Per the policy below, I met all the requirements.My BMI alone is high enough, plus I had the physician supervised medical diet, the NUT, the psyc eval, and the PCP recommendation ........

Cigna covers bariatric surgery using a covered procedure outlined below as medically necessary when ALL of the following criteria are met:
The individual is ≥ 18 years of age or has reached full expected skeletal growth AND has evidence of EITHER of the following:
 a BMI (Body Mass Index) ≥ 40
 a BMI (Body Mass Index) 35–39.9 with at least one clinically significant obesity-related comorbidity, including but not limited to the following:
o mechanical arthropathy in a weight-bearing joint
o type 2 diabetes mellitus
o poorly controlled hypertension (systolic blood pressure at least 140 mm Hg or diastolic blood pressure 90 mm Hg or greater, despite optimal medical management)
o hyperlipidemia
o coronary artery disease o lower extremity lymphatic or venous obstruction
o obstructive sleep apnea o pulmonary hypertension
• Medical management including evidence of active participation within the last 12 months in a weight- management program that is supervised either by a physician or a registered dietician for a minimum of three consecutive months. The weight-management program must include monthly documentation of ALL of the following components:
 weight
 current dietary program
 physical activity (e.g., exercise program) Programs such as Weight Watchers®, Jenny Craig® and Optifast® are acceptable alternatives if done in conjunction with the supervision of a physician or registered dietician and detailed documentation of participation is available for review. However, physician-supervised programs consisting exclusively of pharmacological management are not sufficient to meet this requirement.
• A thorough multidisciplinary evaluation within the previous six months which includes ALL of the following:
 an evaluation by a bariatric surgeon recommending surgical treatment, including a description of the proposed procedure(s) and all of the associated current CPT codes
 a separate medical evaluation from a physician other than the requesting surgeon that includes both a recommendation for bariatric surgery as well as a medical clearance for surgery
 unequivocal clearance for bariatric surgery by a mental health provider
 a nutritional evaluation by a physician or registered dietician

Replies

• tammylsomers
    Options
    So sorry! I'll be praying your doc can figure out what more is needed to get it approved.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    So Sorry... I was denied at first. So I do understand. I so hope your doctor can re-state the need for the surgery in such a way that Ins will grant the request...
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully your doctors will figure out some way to help. These insurances are
    a royal pain. It is hard enough to get insurance without having pre-exsisting conditions let along
    following all the rules to get approved and then they deny you. HOpe things work out.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Just one more blip to over come. Hopefully your doc's office has a good insurance coordinator who can work you thru this and approval will happen shortly.
  • Tinalu69
    Tinalu69 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others, keep trying. Appeal it. Call insurance yourself and find out what you need to do to change status. Keep on your doctor to get the insurance company the correct and current info on you. In the meantime, keep doing what you are supposed to be doing. Good luck!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!! Talk to your ins. person at your surgeons office, talk to your doctors, Keep going with it!! JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!!!