What do you do for a living

Replies

• Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    I am a Program Director for The Salvation Army. My program is transitional housing for homeless women and children.

When I finish my Master's, I will be working toward licensing to be a Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and Substance Abuse Counselor.
  • The occupations posted by the members of Single Peeps are truly an impressive list. I was hoping for a great response to this post and I am more than satisfied seeing the variety. You guys rock!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Patent litigation attorney!

If you're going to be a lawyer, this seems to be the way to go. If you work for Apple or Samsung, all the better...

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    I have a small consulting company, with 3 others. We help high tech companies sell their enterprise software in developing markets. Specifically, Central & Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Our target clients are usually US or European companies that aren't yet ready to build up a local office as they don't have sales in those regions, or qualified partners. We help with sales strategy and marketing, build their channels, get their first clients, and help them hire local talent. Eventually we hand over to the local team.

Lots of fun, interesting people, and the freedom to more or less do what I want, when I want, how I want.

We have one major client now, and a few other revenue sources (small ad hoc projects). We are about to sign our second client, which will probably require us to hire 2-3 additional resources.

We've been doing this for over 12 years, and quite successfully. If you're working for a relatively successful software company but doing little in those regions, message me! Or if you're attractie and just want to go out... ;-)

--P
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    My proper job - the 'career' bit - has the grandiose-sounding title of 'Opera Singer' - not nearly as glamorous as it looks or sounds. The jobs that currently pay most of the bills while I build my career are: receptionist in a private business club in Mayfair (the most expensive property on any Monopoly board!), and live-in assistant/companion to a 93-year-old lady.

I also do the odd bit of translation/editing/proofreading/tutoring, as my academic background is fairly intellectual, and these things pay a reasonably-good hourly rate. Anyone needing any proofreading or editing done, send me a message - I can do American spelling too! :wink:
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    I am in infant teacher
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Didn't you ask this question like six months ago? :laugh:

I'm a tech training Instructor in the Air Force currently in Biloxi MS. I'm getting out next year, though, and I have no idea what I'm gonna do..
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    receptionist in a private business club in Mayfair (the most expensive property on any Monopoly board!),

Are Monopoly Baords different in Europe. The most expensive poperty is Boardwalk and park place in the american version :huh:
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    My proper job - the 'career' bit - has the grandiose-sounding title of 'Opera Singer' - not nearly as glamorous as it looks or sounds. The jobs that currently pay most of the bills while I build my career are: receptionist in a private business club in Mayfair (the most expensive property on any Monopoly board!), and live-in assistant/companion to a 93-year-old lady.

I also do the odd bit of translation/editing/proofreading/tutoring, as my academic background is fairly intellectual, and these things pay a reasonably-good hourly rate. Anyone needing any proofreading or editing done, send me a message - I can do American spelling too! :wink:

Well, I think you fulfill my stereotype for cultured smartie pants British young lady. Companion to the 93 yr old puts it over the top.

I do educational disability evals for children (learning,emotional, autism) coach teachers on how to work with them, and teach a small group reading intervention (8th grade who read at K-1 level).
  • castadiva
    receptionist in a private business club in Mayfair (the most expensive property on any Monopoly board!),

Are Monopoly Baords different in Europe. The most expensive poperty is Boardwalk and park place in the american version :huh:

Guess they must be! Are your Monopoly Money/prices in dollars? Every Monopoly set I've ever played on uses pounds (not just in the UK), and had Mayfair as the last property before you come back around to 'Go'! I assumed, wrongly it seems, that this was universal :embarassed:
  • castadiva

Well, I think you fulfill my stereotype for cultured smartie pants British young lady. Companion to the 93 yr old puts it over the top.

I do educational disability evals for children (learning,emotional, autism) coach teachers on how to work with them, and teach a small group reading intervention (8th grade who read at K-1 level).

Wouldn't want to mess up your stereotypes :laugh:

I have so much respect and admiration for people who work with intellectual disabilities (sorry, I'm sure that's not the right term, but I can't for the life of me think what is) - I completely lack the patience I would imagine is required, in that sphere. It's a failing I wish I could overcome.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Monopoly boards are different here in the US and in the UK. I own my mother's from when she was little (1960's) and it has Mayfair as the most expensive property! When I was little I just assumed all boards were in Pounds - needless to say when I played on my friend's boards I was rudely corrected! LOL
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    I am an attorney in a solo general practice. I do mostly family law (Divorces :-( ) but also handle a good bit of employment law, simple probate cases, and misdemeanor criminal cases. This is a second career. I started to law school at age 40 as a single parent, when my youngest child started to kindergarten!

Wow that is impressive! Good for you! :) Back in the day when I was a kid, I used to want to be a lawyer, so I memorized the Miranda rights. Haha doesn't make too much sense but I was a Law and Order junkie...thought that lawyers said it lol.

Christina, you look young still. It's never too late to follow that dream.
  • Didn't you ask this question like six months ago? :laugh:

I'm a tech training Instructor in the Air Force currently in Biloxi MS. I'm getting out next year, though, and I have no idea what I'm gonna do..

I probably did but that was when there were maybe 400 members.
  • Prahasaurus
    I can do American spelling too! :wink:

Don't sell out! ;-)

--P
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    I'm a public school band director. I currently work with elementary kids teaching beginning band, I've been in my current district for 10 years and absolutely love it. I also do a fair amount of freelance/gigging orchestral and chamber work but that rarely pays the bills ;)
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    hi, new here...I am an Admin Assistant in Sales for a small silicone rubber and plastics manufacturing plant
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    hi, new here...I am an Admin Assistant in Sales for a small silicone rubber and plastics manufacturing plant

Welcome Sherry, we're a fun bunch! :drinker:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member

I was thinking the same thing! I was like "Uh, no, it's based on Atlantic City and Boardwalk is the most expensive..." Then I looked and saw she lives in England. :laugh:
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    I'm a contractor safety officer for large mining projects in the energy, minerals and precious metals industries... I spend most of my time in the Canadian Artic north of the 64th parallel.