New to group

Options
SargeZ
SargeZ Posts: 8 Member
Hi, I am new to the group. i have recently gotten back into martial arts. I am currently in kick boxing and Kung Fu (Choy Lay Fut). I was active while on active duty in the military but since retirement and several knee injuries i have not been as active any advice.

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    First thaks for you service!! And welcome to the group!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Sarge!
    I also have a knee injury...I don't jump, no "air kicks", and I practice spin/turn kicks very carefully, paying special attention to body mechanics. Good luck!
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too. My advice is to slow it down and watch those knees like a hawk. Body mechanics FTW! Keep the knee over the foot or in a straight line from hip to foot at all times. Don't let it wobble. Don't bend so far that it goes past the toes. Don't allow it to cave in. Also, work on flexibility in the hips because that will reduce strain on the knee. My sifu has/had a bad knee, but it barely bothers him now after careful training. He really harps on the subject!

Army vet wife here too! :)
  • SargeZ
    SargeZ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all you have made me feel welcome.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Welcome to the group Sarge!
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sarge :smile:
  • JBoyExeter
    Options
    Hey everyone I also just joined the site and the group.

I'm in Exeter atm training in Karate. We're an independent school with our roots in goju-ryu and we've added some MMM and BJJ elements for self defence purposes. Currently training for my black belt and it's going to be a beast with minimum 200 push-ups and 200 sit-ups at any point and probably 3-4 hours on the mat with varying degrees of cardio so I got a lot to work through besides just technique!
  • chandjm
    chandjm Posts: 16
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I train in Tang Soo Do and have a 2nd degree black belt. Dealing with knee issues myself.