Relaxed Hair and Exercise

Options
cnichol78
cnichol78 Posts: 9 Member
Hey y'all. If this has been asked before, I'm sorry. I'm starting over, so I'm essentially new to all of this. For those of you with relaxed hair, what do you do when you exercise? Do you wrap it, put it in a ponytail, etc.? What about after your workout is finished, do you oil it, let it air dry, etc.? I pay every week to get my hair done, and hate the idea of having it ruined for exercise. I realize, of course, that burning calories is more important. But I would still like to have it look like something when I'm done-one, cause I paid for it, and two so I don't look crazy when I walk in to work. Any and all suggestions/tips appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I can soooo relate. I don't get my hair relaxed but may once every six months but I sweat really bad in my head and face when I work out, and my hair is almost soaked when I'm done. I have been wearing ponytails since I started working out in September and I got tired of looking a mess! So I got my hair braided!
  • oameyers
    oameyers Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I joined the long hair care forum and started doing my own hair. That way I'm in control and I don't feel bad if it get sweated out. Now I only go to the salon for my relaxers. In the mean time I do flexi rod sets, braidouts, buns and two strand twist.

I'm no hair dresser either, but youtube and the site I join really helped me thur. It's been 6 months of doing it myself and I get better every week. :-)
  • chocobis09
    chocobis09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings and i keep my hair in a ponytail that day and at night i grease it and wrap it for the next day. I also get my hair braided every few months to make it easier.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I just gave up and started going natural, though when the weather starts getting colder I may try going straight again.
  • Nicoleholmes2
    Nicoleholmes2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I got braids, it was to stressful, lol! Now I just get up and go!
  • cnichol78
    Options
    Thanks y'all!

It seems like a lot of people get braids or go natural. Don't know that those are options for me just yet. Me and my hair texture are constantly at odds, and i dont think i could handle braids. I just got out of the shop a few minutes ago, FINALLY. I had her to roll it on the huge rollers so it would look more like it's been flat-ironed than curly. I'm gonna see if it helps to have something like that, as opposed to me being worried about sweating out curls. I would love to be able to do my own hair, it just never behaves for me :(
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,272 Member
    Options
    I have relaxed hair and I sweat a lot. After working out I sometimes let it air dry then add a little oil at night and curl as needed. The only thing that saves me is I have a a great short cut. Also, I only go to the hairdresser when I need a relaxer or trim. When needed I wash my own hair after working out and wrap it and get under the dryer. I haven't used a blow dryer in over 10 years, they're horrible on our hair.

I decided in order to lose weight, I would not let my hair be an issue. That excuse is no longer acceptable. I was not happy having great hair yet being overweight. Eventually I hope to go natural eliminating any issue regarding hair and exercise.
  • cnichol78
    Options
    I agree completely. Shouldnt be an issue, but I guess it will take me a while to believe that it isnt.
  • lisha7997
    lisha7997 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine, during workouts and let it air dry. I workout after work so it helps. I also wash my hair pretty much once a week or every two weeks and then go to the salon for my relaxer. Keeping it wrapped after the workout helps me keep the heat off of it so I'm not constantly using the flat-iron.
  • cnichol78
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time tonite: wrapped it during exercise, let it air dry a little, then put a scarf back on. I guess I'll need to see how it does tomorrow. Thanks!