First Half Marathon

I finished my first half marathon last week with a time of 2:15. I would like to work to get my time down to 1:45. Does anyone have any programs they recommend or just some workouts to do?

thanks,

Replies

• adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    I use Adidas micoach app LOVE it and it's free to download. Hal Higdon (sp?) is also highly recommended by most. The key to getting your time down is speed intervals, tempo runs and hill work (and short and long runs of course) I've found that I dont need to run all the time, I run no more than 4 times a week, every week I do; 1 5k for speed, 1 long run (increasing a mile per week), and 2 mid distance runs (mixture of tempo, interval or hill) but Hal Higdon half marathon plan will take care of all the planning so that you can just follow the programme.

Did my first half marathon in 2h19, I'm now on track for a 2hr/sub 2hr half :) I restarted running 2 or 3 times a week casually in April then I followed an abbreviated Adidas training programme for these last 6 weeks! The programme is great but it had me tapering 2 weeks before my half which i thought was a little early considering this is not my first half so for my last 2 weeks before Race Day i've been following this one;

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program

I think most would say 12 weeks in enough time to train for a half but i took the pressure off and started much earlier PLUS knocking 20mins - or in your case 30mins - off your time is no small feat so the earlier you start the better so that you can increase slowly and avoid injury.

All the best!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    I'll 2nd the Adidas miCoach recommendation.

I did my first half in February, @ 2:35. Did another half in April and finished right around 2:40. Started using the Adidas app sometime in June or July, and just followed it mostly (though I did a few more miles per week than it recommended). Finished a half last sunday @ 2:15....and I actually had some left in the tank when I finished, so probably could have shaved a few more minutes off at that.

Going to see how it does training for a full now.
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    I finished my first half marathon last week with a time of 2:15. I would like to work to get my time down to 1:45. Does anyone have any programs they recommend or just some workouts to do?

You may not have to do much additional. Your weight chart indicates you want to lose another 43 pounds. I just googled for what impact that kind of weight loss would have and, for a HM, it would improve your time by about 20 minutes. That puts you down at 1:55. Pretty darn close to your goal! You just need to run a faster pace by 45 seconds per mile. And that's likely to come with experience such as better pacing, finding out what your best fueling strategies are, etc.

PS: Kudos on your first HM. That's an excellent time! I'm sure you'll break 2 hours soon!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Congrats on completing your first Half. :drinker: