Choosing target weights at competition

Options
taso42
taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
I am likely entering my first meet on Dec 1st. I've been mulling over how to choose the weights I am going to lift. I could do some actual 1RM tests as the date gets very close, and shoot for something around there or a few lbs more. Or I could go with my regular training and pick some numbers based on calculated 1RM. I've heard a rule of thumb that your first lift should be something you can comfortably do 5 reps of, so I will choose accordingly. It's the 2nd and 3rd lifts I'm having an issue deciding about.

Replies

• kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I still find choosing the 2nd and 3rd lifts hard. For my recent team meet, I definitely felt that I "left weight on the platform" and it really bothered me. It bothered me enough to rethink my "avoid red lights" at all costs mentality. For a first meet though, I think it's better to choose numbers that you know you can hit with confidence.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Best advice I got for my first meet was to study the protocol so you're comfortable with the process and try to go 9 for 9. I always recommend making the first attempt something you know you can do for 3 reps, second rep shoot for a PR, third go for another. This sounds contrary (9 for 9 vs going for PR's), but in your first competition, you'll probably be pretty jacked for the meet and able to lift better than you think.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    agree with Jason. 100%
    opener should be something you can triple in any session.
    then pb on the second lift, then from there, your 3rd weight will be dependent on how that pb felt.
    easy? add 15-20lbs. hard(a real grind!?)? - maybe you only go 5-10lbs. if you have a coach, then they'll generally be in the best position to tell what to load after your second lift.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I have a rough plan now. For the 2nd lifts I am going to go for the bechmarks that I've been striving for - 225 bench, 315 squat, and 405 deadlift (whatever that translates to in kg). And then set the final lift based on feel from there. I guess the plan goes south if I miss the 2nd lift, in which case, I will just repeat the same weight again?

Someone advised me not to do this before the comp, but I think I want to give these lifts a try at home before the comp. I have already pulled that deadlift. It was rather sloppy, but I was already fatigued.

Also, I better go ahead and sign up for this comp before I change my mind. I'm rather nervous about it!