Honestly...What do you think?

Options
ASH0424
ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
Okay Everyone,

First I want to say I am NOT starving myself. This is not about a mind trip or some number on the scale.
In part it is due to a med I must take. But the other part is honestly I am not hungry, I'm litterally forcing myself to eat what I do eat everyday as I feel I could take food or leave it these days.
If you know me, you know that is not normally how I am. Typically I am a heavily emotional eater.
I am not depressed, no life stress really.
So, my question is, if you are under your calories, but eating more carby things, do you think that is what's sustaining you?
Because I eat things, that probably seem low calories to people looking in, but they have carbs in them. Like for example I eat, Whole Wheat bread, Brown Rice, stuff like that.
So, just curious. Because I am wondering if I need to see a doctor or if I am okay. My Mom told me on the phone to not worry about it and I am heavy, so is this really a problem or am I making it one??
Just looking for some honest opinions before I figure out what to do.
I started this journey 7/16, but got pregnant & had a miscarriage in August, so I do not think being down 14.4 lbs. is that darastic although this last WI ws 3.4 lbs. Just curious what others think.

Thanks, Ash

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating go both ways. And you are right that it could be partly due to your meds; many meds have varying effects on hunger. As for your question, yes the carbs are probably sustaining you at this point. People that eat clean tend to be lower calories as well, but do just fine because the food is nutritious. If you can only eat small amounts of food, best to make sure it is healthy foods that will keep your body going.

Wondering if you have tried protein shakes to help boost your calorie intake?
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do have protien as well. That was my point, I wasn't skimping on anything. Thanks!
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    I think that if you are concerned, which it sounds like you are, it would be worth a phone call to the doctor. It's nice right now to not want to eat, but at some point that could prove not so good. And, it could be a sign that the meds you are on are too strong or something.

I also think that this could be a great time to develop a new relationship with food. I have tried lately to really think before I eat - and focus on if the food is nourishing to my body. This means that I'll have honey in my tea when I feel a cold coming on because honey can help me feel better - even though it can be high in calories. It means that I look to crunchy vegetables instead of chips when I can - what is nourishing to my body.

There have been times when I feel like I need to feed my soul - and so I have indulged, but then I don't feel good - so it's the reminder from my insides that focusing on the nourishment feels better.

So - eat colors in your food (not from food colorings, but whole foods) and really focus on what's nourishing. It might help if/when this phase comes to an end.

Good luck!
  • carlee1212
    carlee1212 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well I know that carbs are what give us energy, but at the same time just make sure all of your other nutrition needs are met. (calcium, vitamin d., amino acids, ect.) If you are doing that, then I think it's ok. Still double checking with your doctor is probably a good idea. :)