Argh, some people...

Options
2»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Did you talk about guys or dating? I fail to see what this has to do with this group

Actually, I thought this was a group about issues related to singles, which can include much more than just dating.

I agree 110%! There's fitness, health, hobbies, etc. etc. It's all related!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    So I volunteer at a local farm some weekends (hey, free veggies and I love gardening). Anyway, while I was there today, there was a new volunteer and we were chatting a bit, mostly about recipes. Then she started talking about her teenage daughters (ok, fine) and finally asked if my kids were in the local school district. I politely told her I didn't have any kids. She then got this really snotty voice and told me it must be nice to live a simper lifestyle... WTF!? How the hell does she know my story!? This is not the case, but what if I couldn't have any for medical reasons or had several miscarriages...anything is a possibility. Why do people like that have to be so rude sometimes? It just infuriated me today. Ok, rant over, thanks for listening...

From what you wrote, I don't see anything wrong with what that woman said to you. She's correct, a life without kids is certainly simpler than a life with kids. The same could be said for pets, a large house, etc.

A lot would boil down to her tone of voice and how she said the "must be nice to life a simpler lifestyle". I don't see why anyone would respond in a snotty or malicious tone of voice unless they were provoked to do so. Maybe something you said really rubbed her the wrong way?
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was jealous? I would have replied back with a little edge in my voice...but basically over-agreeing with her and talking up the virtues of a childless existence..of which there are many!!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I joke with my close friends about who do I call to give my kids back?? It's a joke and I would NEVER say something like that to someone I didn't know. Too many people have trouble getting pregnant and/or losing them that the subject rarely is comical. People need to think before they speak. Friday morning we had a fundraiser selling doughnuts and coffee. One guy said to everyone leaving "take a doughnut home to your wife"......I yelled at him saying he can't assume everyone is married.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    People are so cruel and they don't even realize it. I have had the same comments made, and I had a miscarriage, as well as trying for numerous years, and going through ALOT of heartached, etc to try to get that baby that never happened. I also have a friend who lost a baby within moments of his birth--again, comments are made with out thinking.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    People are so cruel and they don't even realize it. I have had the same comments made, and I had a miscarriage, as well as trying for numerous years, and going through ALOT of heartached, etc to try to get that baby that never happened. I also have a friend who lost a baby within moments of his birth--again, comments are made with out thinking.

Moe, I am so sorry to hear about your losses. :flowerforyou:
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options

I am sorry, I found out really young that I couldn't have kids and now I am 37 yrs old and get called selfish. I even heard it from my sis-in-law when she didn't know I could not have kids and I said to her don't judge anyone because you have no clue their reasons. It's really hard on dating as a single woman, because most men around my age want kids.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I am sorry, I found out really young that I couldn't have kids and now I am 37 yrs old and get called selfish. I even heard it from my sis-in-law when she didn't know I could not have kids and I said to her don't judge anyone because you have no clue their reasons. It's really hard on dating as a single woman, because most men around my age want kids.

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear your story too and to know how it's impacted so much of your life. :flowerforyou:
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So I volunteer at a local farm some weekends (hey, free veggies and I love gardening). Anyway, while I was there today, there was a new volunteer and we were chatting a bit, mostly about recipes. Then she started talking about her teenage daughters (ok, fine) and finally asked if my kids were in the local school district. I politely told her I didn't have any kids. She then got this really snotty voice and told me it must be nice to live a simper lifestyle... WTF!? How the hell does she know my story!? This is not the case, but what if I couldn't have any for medical reasons or had several miscarriages...anything is a possibility. Why do people like that have to be so rude sometimes? It just infuriated me today. Ok, rant over, thanks for listening...

I wouldn't worry about it. If she got snotty about you not having kids, then it is probably some form of jealousy which looks bad on her part.

If it is her just being rude, then she is simply a rude person and isn't worth your time either.

People blow my mind everyday on how rude they can be.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    PJ, I don't think she was saying or assuming your life is simple, I just think she meant not having kids is a bit easier than having kids. She does have a point.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Did you talk about guys or dating? I fail to see what this has to do with this group
    This is the "Single Peeps" group. Why do you assume all single people are allowed to talk about is dating or guys?
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

And like these 2 posters, this is WHY some people should THINK before they speak....

Like some have said, her tone has everything to do with it. I've had other mom's act snotty with me because I did have my daughter young (20) and I only have ONE child. Apparently I'm less of a mother b/c I have no desire for 4+ kids....oh and the looks some have given to me b/c I'm content with just one and that yes, I do like that she'll be raised by the time I'm 40. Why would I want to start over?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

And like these 2 posters, this is WHY some people should THINK before they speak....

Like some have said, her tone has everything to do with it. I've had other mom's act snotty with me because I did have my daughter young (20) and I only have ONE child. Apparently I'm less of a mother b/c I have no desire for 4+ kids....oh and the looks some have given to me b/c I'm content with just one and that yes, I do like that she'll be raised by the time I'm 40. Why would I want to start over?

Apperantly having only 2 is just as bad. Its funny cause I dont say anything to people have a bunch of kids but why do people feel the right to critize my choice to only have to.... And apperantly according to popular society I should also have kids from multiple fathers. They always ask if both my kids are from the same man and then ask if I'm going to give the Mr. NG kids .....:huh: