Cinnamon to lower blood sugar

Options
I just started taking cinnamon capsules a few weeks ago and I think it's part of what's helping get my numbers down. The only downside is that I burp cinnamon for about an hour after taking it, lol.

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few reports on the internet about Cinnamon and its affect on Blood Sugars, so I did a bit more digging.

From what I have read you need to be careful with Cinnamon. It is true it does thin the blood,but, it can increase the risk of internal bleeding. The risk is so big that Germany has re-classified Cinnamon as a regulated medical compound.My source of information for that was "Diabetes for Dummies".

Large doses can also cause skin irritation in some people.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/473419-side-effects-of-taking-cinnamon-for-diabetes/

I add a little to my apple and fat free yoghurt snack, but, only to flavour it.
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    Thanks, Big G. I'm just trying to look for some natural things to take along with my Metformin to help keep my sugars down. I've read a lot of stuff of Chromium Picolinate (sp) as well.

I just woke up from a little nap with a really low reading of 32. My fastings have been anywhere from 39 to 85 over the last two months. This is with insulin, metformin, cinnamon, the chromium, eating right, not eating too late and so on. I shoot my morning insulin and then on the weekends I end up taking a nap in the mornings since I get up so early and I almost always wake up low (really low) and shaky and extremely thirsty. I drink water all day long (up to a gallon or more a day) but if I wake up too low or just crash during the day I get as thirsty as I am if my sugars are high. It's weird. Either way....the lows I'm having are getting my overall A1C down.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I read that metformin alone ususally does not cause lows....perhaps you need to discuss with your doctor about the really lows cause you may need something adjusted.

My doctor recommended that I sprinkle cinnamon on stuff. I usually take a stick of it and put in in a cup of hot water and sip after breakfast and lunch.

I also read that there are two types of cinnamon; I've forgotten the names of the two but one is supposed to be better than the other. I also believe in the blood sugar solution but that Dr. Hyman (i hope i spelled his name right) also recommended that cinnamon capsuls be taken.

I think, as with anything, you need to be care of interactions with other medicines and that you don't have an allergy to whatever you're adding into your routine.

Dee
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    Thanks, Dee. I'm still playing with my insulin to get the dosage right and that's what causes my lows. On a good note, my A1C is going down. I'm lowering my overnight dose of insulin and seeing how that goes.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have taken a Cinnamon/Alpha Lipoic Acid supplement from the time of diagnosis. I also have a cinnamon mill I use to grind frsh cinnamon into my coffee and onto certain foods. Cinnamon was recommended to me shortly after diagnosis by a fellow diabetic, and my doctor has no problems with me taking it, as he says there are studies that have shown there may be benefit to it.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I use cinnamon as a spice frequently and love it in coffee and yogurt - but for taste, not particularly to help control BG. I ate a lot of cinnamon before dianosis and will continue to do so

I don't buy capsules, and don't take many supplements other than fiber, a multi and fish oil.

Because, even if it doesn't improve my health, it definitely helps a slightly restricted menu taste good.
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I haven't had any problems with it. I only take the two capsules as recommended on the bottle once a day with a meal and I seem to do OK.