Good HRM for swimming

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Does anyone use a HRM in the pool and if so what is a good reliable waterproof model??

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Many people say their polar FT4 works - mine does not, however. I swim in a bromine pool so the salt concentration may affect the waves
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a PT4 as well, no luck in a chlorine pool either. I've seen ads for a specific swimming one but it was pricey...
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Electronic devices do not transmit accurately through water, so chest-strap HRMs will not give a true reading (unless you only swim backstroke and have your watch out of the water too. :laugh:

You do get other watch-like gizmos, such as Swimovate Poolmate, that count your laps and give you a calorie burn based on your stats (age/height/weight) and distance/time swam, but I've never used one, so cannot give you a personal recommendation.
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a polar that works for swims. It stays connected and seems accurate. It's an older F6. Per the polar website "All Polar heart rate sensors can be worn in water. Only sensors with 5 kHz transmission detect heart rate while swimming."

http://www.polar.fi/en/support/Compatibility_Between_Receivers_and_Transmitters
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Electronic devices do not transmit accurately through water, so chest-strap HRMs will not give a true reading (unless you only swim backstroke and have your watch out of the water too. :laugh:

You do get other watch-like gizmos, such as Swimovate Poolmate, that count your laps and give you a calorie burn based on your stats (age/height/weight) and distance/time swam, but I've never used one, so cannot give you a personal recommendation.

My brother has a Swimovate...he uses it to train ironman. He loves it and says I would too...but as far as HRM I don't know what to recommened. He says swimovate is very accurate as far as counting laps and calorie burn calcs. This reminded me I'm putting on my Christmas wish - list and if I don't get it will be my 50 lb loss reward to myself.
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is what i have (chlorine pool) it has been used for about 12 swimming sessions so far. As long as you don't push buttons on the watch while under water, it should be ok. (I got mine on Amazon for a great price). There are HRM that are totally accurate in the water, and Polar is one of them. You also need to adjust your training zone for swimming because of the drop in heart rate that occurs when your body is submerged.
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Swim Watch but there is no HRM

http://sites.garmin.com/swim/

It counts laps and provides calorie burn. It also stroke identifies and provides other detailed info I never use. I have been very happy with it.
  • ratchison_24
    ratchison_24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've searched the web for underwater heart rate monitors multiple times and the only one that I can find is made by FINIS.

http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/electronics/aquapulse-heart-rate-monitor.html
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I've searched the web for underwater heart rate monitors multiple times and the only one that I can find is made by FINIS.

http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/electronics/aquapulse-heart-rate-monitor.html

I tried this one from Finis. Last 2.5 swims before all heard was "SEARCHING." It is on the way back to Amazon.
    I'm back to searching again.
    Granted I am on a beta blocker for migraines. I don't think i can count on an accurate calorie count that uses the heart rate.
    Currently I use a Finis wall mounted lap counter. touch face. Big display. Makes counting to 110 a lot easier. Just wish it was a 3 digit counter. :)
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i have a polar FT7, I've been using it for about a month now and it seems to be working great. the heart rates and calorie burns seem accurate and consistent with what I'm geting when I'm running and doing other exercises.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Turns out I can't use an HRM to get calorie counts. Beta blocker suppresses my heart rate. I'm hoping to get off it soon. It is for migraines, not the heart.
    When I mentioned this to my doc she said I shouldn't be pushing above 100bpm. But I push to 110 to 120 anyway. It takes a lot of effort to get it that high.