Preparing for Roux-En-Y

Options
Hello. I am in the getting everything together to schedule Roux-En-Y. Have my lab work done, my nutritionist and fitness test done, EGD done yesterday, psycholoigst eval on Nov 6th, and waiting for doc to fax charting over. They said if everything goes according to plan, I should be able to schedule before the end of the year.

Hardest part so far is getting rid of pop and not snacking. Any tips? I also hate to cook, so if anyone like that has tips on how to move past that, I would love to hear! I will do whatever it takes because if I don't do this surgery, I won't walk in 10 years (bad car accident permanently damanged my ankle, made worse by weight), and lupus is out of control, also r/t to weight probably. Would love to reduce or get rid of pain meds.

Thanks for listening to me rant and vent :) I hope to meet lots of you and learn from you!

Replies

• miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Snacking, for me, being 7 months post-op, is a life savour. I absolutely NEED my snacks. Try increasing your protein NOW to do away with grazing and bad snacking. If you do snack, just snack on some cheese/veggies/hummus/fruit/nuts/yogurt. Healthy snacks for life! :)

After w or 3 weeks, your body won't crave pop anymore. I found these cool 'pop' flavoured drink crystals. Not quite the same, but they cure the craving!

GOOD LUCK!
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Coke-a-holic. I could drink a liter bottle of Coke like people drink the small bottles of the stuff. I gave it up pre-surgery with great difficulty and now don't even desire pop. Once you have the surgery your taste changes. I know mine did. Once you give it up and if you taste some later on, you won't even like it. My doctor tole me that after the surgery, I couldn't drink carbonated beverages, so I had no choice but to break the soda habit; and that's all it is , a habit and almost an addiction. Once you do it you'll be thankful. Good luck with your surgery and breaking your soda habit.
  • ERolandoRN
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. My doc told me I had to give up carbonated drinks as well, so I am trying to replace with water or flavored water, crystal light. I am down to 2-3 pops a day from 10, so that is a great start I think. They gave me a list of the types of food I need and goals to work on, and I am working on doing 3 meals a day, no snacks, and cutting out pop slowly, but surely. Also, trying to avoid fast food and pack meals.

Any suggestions on lunch ideas to pack? I am not a big protein eater, so suggestions of easy to make protein lunche would be great!
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you like seafood, peel and eat shrimp is great as long as you have an ice pack. Also since you don't like to cook, it helps there too :-) plus super high in protein.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    do you like cottage cheese? I have 2 or 3 Wasa or Ryvita flatbreads with cottage cheese, grape tomatoes and taco seasoning. MMMM!
  • ERolandoRN
    Options
    Unfortunately, I hate seafood,other than tunafish, and not a big cottage cheese person. I do like eggs, yogurt, cheese, etc. Thanks for the help! I had my first weigh-in and down 5 pounds, so I must be doing something right!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give up pop pre-surgery, best I could do was reduce and switch to diet. The night before I had to begin the two week pre surgery liquid liver shrinking diet was the last diet coke I have had. The idea of how much I could hurt myself after surgery is what kept me from going back and now I'm 6 months pop free and well past any cravings. I enjoy cooking so I'm not sure what advice I can give there except to say, initially you eat a lot of packaged foods like yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes and bars, in fact right now the only meal I cook is dinner everything else is a meal replacement of snack pack of some sort. Also when it comes to taste, I know you say you don't like seafood, that might change, my tastebuds have altered more than I would have expected and foods I once loved I have found kind of gross and others I hated I have loved so don't be afraid to taste things anew post surgery.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    Instead of trying to quit soda cold turkey, transition. If you are not already doing diet soda, switch to that. Then to flavored carbonated water, then off the carbonation. I have much better success this way.

As far as the cooking thing goes, maybe try preparing things once a week so you don't have to worry about cooking every day? There are many things we hate to do that we just have to buck up and do. Its not easy but you get used to it :)
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Unfortunately, I hate seafood,other than tunafish, and not a big cottage cheese person. I do like eggs, yogurt, cheese, etc. Thanks for the help! I had my first weigh-in and down 5 pounds, so I must be doing something right!

I was never a cottage cheese person, for the longest time. Try blending some with salsa...creates an awesome dip for veggies/crackers or as a sauce for sweet potatos or chicken!!
  • ERolandoRN
    Options
    Luckily or unluckily, my microwave fried and so I have had no choice but to cook and found it isn't quite as horrible as I thought :) LOL

My surgery won't happen for another 5 months because my doctor didn't document all the times we talked about diet and exercise.. has anyone had this happen to them? How do you deal? I am really rather deflated now.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    I'm so sorry about the surgery getting delayed! I know how frustrating that is, my process feels like its been endless! The good news is that you have more time to gt used to the new habits you will need for your surgery to be successful. Good luck!
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    I had to wait longer than I expected for my operation (gastric sleeve) but now I have had it done, I think the extra time has been hugely beneficial. I made so many changes pre-surgery that post surgery has been a breeze. You have to reframe it as not a delay but a longer opportunity to prepare for a life-changing experience. You will have time now to reduce that cola habit and get yourself really emotionally and as physically ready as you can be. I recommend getting into soup making - it's a great way of filling up pre-surgery and essential afterwards. Making soup is so quick and easy - I genuinely believe anyone can do it - and a nice cup of soup really helps fill you up when you are having chicken salad etc. Perhaps people could share their favourite recipes with you? One of my favourites at the minute is Spicy Parsnip. Begin by roasting a packet of peeled and chopped parsnips with spray oil and a dusting of curry powder in the oven on medium heat for about half hour until just browning at the edges. Then fry half a large red onion in spray oil in large pan, add the parsnips and move around with the onion and a teaspoon of curry powder to mix the flavours. Add chicken or veg stock until it covers the parsnips and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool, then blitz the mixture with a blender. Return to the pan, add more stock or skimmed milk to you get the consistency you like and then reheat, season and serve. Yummy!