LET'S COOK: Quinoa!

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
Please post your favorite quinoa recipes here!

Here's mine:

SUPERFOOD SALAD:

In a bowl, mix together --

1/2 cup (dry) quinoa, cooked
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
Avocado, diced
Pomegranite, spanked
1 cup mandarin oranges, drained (canned in water or fresh)
1 cup black beans (rinsed & drained to get rid of the sodium)
1 cup corn kernels (frozen)

DRESSING:

2 lemons, juiced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
Agave, to taste
6T EVOO

Whisk EVOO into other ingredients, drizzling it in slowly until fully incorporated.

Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and chill. Keeps refrigerated up to a week.

Yield: 5-6 servings

NUTRITION:

Serving size 1 cup
Calories 366
Sodium 75 mg
Total Carbs 40 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Protein 7 g
Potassium 250 mg
Total Fat 19 g

Replies

• DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I came home from California Pizza Kitchen restaurant one day and attempted to re-create their wonderful salad. This turned out to be a pretty good, spot on match! Here are approximations for one serving.

QUINOA SALAD

Mix in a bowl: 2 cups arugula, 3/4 cup. cooked quinoa, 2 Tbsp. diced red onion, 1 Tbsp. julienne sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), 1/3 c. asparagus (raw or slightly blanched) , 2 tsp. toasted pine nuts, 2 Tbsp. feta cheese. Mix the following dressing and toss with the salad mixture: 1 Tbsp. canola or olive oil, 1 tsp. honey or agave nectar, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp. wine vinegar, 1 tsp. dijon mustard, dashes of salt, pepper, as desired.
  • momof3kiddos34
    Options
    I could eat this a hundred different ways. But my favorite is pretty simple. Chopped, fresh garlic, olive oil and feta cheese when the quinoa is still warm. It's delicious.
  • MrsVtec
    MrsVtec Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa pasta? I've only had it a couple times, but I really liked it, and DH loved it! We usually use spaghetti squash as our pasta, but it's nice to change it up now and then. I will have to try one of the salads mentioned, they sound great!

What is everyone's favorite way to cook the quinoa?
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I cook my quinoa in my rice cooker. Perfect every time! I recently tried red quinoa. Good crunch and taste. It is a nice base for a salad with peas and walnuts, or for a stir-fry dish.
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Generally I like it warm. I also usually cook it in broth. Also like adding sauteed onions and garlic to it. But I like garlic with everything! Quinoa, kale,onions, garlic, greek yogurt and a bit of goat cheese and few times yummm.
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    good to know - in the rice cooker - is there a timing difference?
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I make a variation of the Superfood Salad. Never thought of using the mandarin oranges and pomegranite. Have to try it!

I add quinoa to cooked lentils or curries. It is so high in protein. Love it!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Quinoa. Looking forward to making some of these recipes. Keep them coming ladies.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I make a balsamic vinegarette with fresh basil, tomatoes, cucumbers and kalmata olives for a refreshing quinoa salad. Also have usedthe same vinegarette over a farro salad
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I make a variation of the Superfood Salad. Never thought of using the mandarin oranges and pomegranite. Have to try it!

I add quinoa to cooked lentils or curries. It is so high in protein. Love it!

I make huge pots of lentils every couple of months and then freeze in portion-sized baggies to pull out whenever I want them -- 2 or 3 times a week. I love-love-love the idea of adding quinoa! Great way to mix it up! Thanks for the idea. ;c)
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I cook it according the normal directions. Then I put zucchini, onion, and portabella mushrooms in a large bowl and lightly coat with herbal flavored olive oil and stir. Then put the veggies on the Foreman grill. When done, dice them up and add them to the Quiona and put whatever spice you like. We like our food spicy so I use curry spices, ancho chili powder and red pepper flakes. Delicious and only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I've made quinoa pudding which is quite easy and yummy!
    1C quinoa
    2C water
    2C apple juice
    1C raisins
    2T lemon juice
    1t cinnamon
    2t vanilla extract
    dash of salt to taste

Cook quinoa to boiling in water. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Then add apple juice, raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, cover and again simmer for 15 minutes until most liquid is absorbed. Then add vanilla. Can serve this warm but I love it cold for breakfast. Enjoy!
  • leska1216
    Options
    1C quinoa
    2C water
    2C apple juice
    1C raisins
    2T lemon juice
    1t cinnamon
    2t vanilla extract
    dash of salt to taste

Cook quinoa to boiling in water. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Then add apple juice, raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, cover and again simmer for 15 minutes until most liquid is absorbed. Then add vanilla. Can serve this warm but I love it cold for breakfast. Enjoy!

This sounds so good. will definitely be making this!! Thanks
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    1C quinoa
    2C water
    2C apple juice
    1C raisins
    2T lemon juice
    1t cinnamon
    2t vanilla extract
    dash of salt to taste

This looks delicious! I'm going to make it tomorrow night! (Have to get apple juice.)
  • katejkelley
    Options
    I've started using quinoa for so many things - quinoa flour, flakes, grains. Years ago we switched from white flour to whole wheat. Now, we're thinking all the wheat may not be the best for us, so I'm using a lot more quinoa flour for baking.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    good to know - in the rice cooker - is there a timing difference?
    My rice cooker just stops when the water is almost gone. Don't know how it does it, though. I just know it cooks white rice quicker than brown rice, and also will pop up after steaming vegetables. Somehow it always clicks over to "warming" once the water evaporates.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Ths recipe is so good - as a meal or a side ....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/Detail.aspx
  • katejkelley
    Options
    1C quinoa
    2C water
    2C apple juice
    1C raisins
    2T lemon juice
    1t cinnamon
    2t vanilla extract
    dash of salt to taste

How many servings does this make? I could eat the whole pan, but have a feeling it should maybe feed 4.