how to survive without passing out!

Options
ymrgirl
ymrgirl Posts: 3 Member
Hi All,
Okay I have done a couple of hot yoga classes that were an hour long. Tried a bikram class yesterday and WOW - almost passed out twice. Super sore today. I did do a boot camp class in the am - yoga later afternoon. I was well hydrated. but super hard to focus. Any enlightenment?? Not ready for a fully 30 day challenge yet. I just want to be able to complete a class and feel good. I love the sweating but .....

Replies

• newenham
    Options
    As they say, just try to get through the class without any expectations, do what you can, and come back as soon as possible. I find it easy to focus when you just listen to the instructor and keep looking at yourself, calmly, in the mirror. If you start getting tense and scratching yourself or rearranging your towel or something, you're just making it harder to concentrate. When that happens, just calm your breathing and do what the instructor says without thinking about it. It's easier that way!
  • ymrgirl
    ymrgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will take your advice :)
  • DangerLV
    Options
    I just got back from my 2nd ever 90min Bikram class. oooh boy! I thought I was gonna pass out or puke, or cry! But I just did what the instructor said, concentrate on the breath, focus on my self and don't give up....even if you have to stop and just breathe for a minute. I feel so good now that its over, I can't wait to go back tomorrow, but at the same time....its a tough practice.

**kind of OT, but a friend of mine wants to do it (or she says she needs to, but I really don't think she can) it takes a certain mental strength to get through.

Good Luck on your journey, just keep breathing :wink:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    One thing I keep telling myself: For every Bikram yoga class I survive the better equipped I'll be to deal with whatever stressors life throws at me. If you can maintain focus while placing your body under tremendous heat stress you can handle anything! Concentrate on your breathing, and don't feel discouraged if you have to sit a few poses out. It's rare that I make it through a class where I can do every pose, especially if the room is crowded and extra-hot. I consider it a personal challenge to see how many poses I can manage. If you're getting nauseated, you might want to try eating something, or not eating something, depending on what you're already doing. Some people find it helps to have a snack before they go, while others do better on an empty stomach.
  • taureanbuddhist
    taureanbuddhist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One thing I keep telling myself: For every Bikram yoga class I survive the better equipped I'll be to deal with whatever stressors life throws at me. If you can maintain focus while placing your body under tremendous heat stress you can handle anything! Concentrate on your breathing, and don't feel discouraged if you have to sit a few poses out. It's rare that I make it through a class where I can do every pose, especially if the room is crowded and extra-hot. I consider it a personal challenge to see how many poses I can manage. If you're getting nauseated, you might want to try eating something, or not eating something, depending on what you're already doing. Some people find it helps to have a snack before they go, while others do better on an empty stomach.
    i completely agree with this...focus on the present moment and be gentle with yourself, do the poses you can and focus on your instructors instructions...

i try to have a snack about 2-3 hours before class and eat a small snack soon after class ends (cheese stick or apple or lara/pure bar). also check your hydration levels, I know that I feel more lightheaded on the days that I dont get enough water before i even get to class...nevermind that i drink a liter during class :)