Training for Disney Princess 1/2 in February!

dipletti
dipletti Posts: 33 Member
This will be my second attempt at a 1/2. My first attempt ended when I got into a car accident the month before my goal race. I am hoping to drop 15 pounds before I actually run it. Any suggestions are most welcome. My longest distance to date has been 20 km but that was before the accident.

PS I am totally nervous about the time limit they have on the race...what if I'm too slow! I mean I know I run slow but I don't want to be pulled off...

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Well no training help just saying that I will be running it also. I forgot what is the time limit on it?
  • dipletti
    16 min mile I think it said...
  • RoxBim
    RoxBim Posts: 9 Member
    Hi! Do you follow a training plan? I've used the half-marathon training plan in marathonrookie.com. I don't think you should worry so much about losing the weight. Focus on building your stamina and endurance. Trust me, the weight will come-off. I recently got back to running this year after having my first baby on December 2011. I just kept running and I lost the weight before my half marathon.

Good luck on the Disney Princess Run!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    you could slowly run half the race and walk the other half and still make that pace easily. i wouldn't worry about that too much.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    For my half marathon this weekend, since I was injured most the summer and really only had a month to train, I am doing a run 3 mins walk 1 min and I am around a 12 min mile. You have enough time to train so that you should easily go faster then a 16 min mile.
  • dipletti
    Hi! Do you follow a training plan? I've used the half-marathon training plan in marathonrookie.com. I don't think you should worry so much about losing the weight. Focus on building your stamina and endurance. Trust me, the weight will come-off. I recently got back to running this year after having my first baby on December 2011. I just kept running and I lost the weight before my half marathon.

Good luck on the Disney Princess Run!

I run with the running room clinics. I haven't lost a single pound running, as a matter of fact I weight 10 pounds more than I did when I began...
  • dipletti
    For my half marathon this weekend, since I was injured most the summer and really only had a month to train, I am doing a run 3 mins walk 1 min and I am around a 12 min mile. You have enough time to train so that you should easily go faster then a 16 min mile.

Yeah I guess I'm just nervous about it....I usually run 10 and 1. But have done up to 16 steady at a much slower than normal pace. I am running the race with some friends so I think I will do 10 and 1.

Thanks
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    I ran the Princess Half last year, such a fun race! This year I am doing the Disney Half marathon in January.
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    I share your concern about the weight loss/gain while training for a HM. During this kind of training, weight gain is more common than weight loss because muscle (which you'll be building) weighs more than fat (which you'll be losing).

It is especially a concern when as your long runs get longer which are hard to do if you're cutting back on calories. I'm not saying it's impossible. Just that it's harder than training for a HM by itself and you'll need some experimentation to figure out how to balance your caloric deficit (or whatever your weight-loss approach is) with what your body needs for the training.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Yeah!!!! I just ran the DisneyWorld HM - my first every HM. What a blast it was. My training runs were hard. I got a really nasty GI virus 2 weeks prior to the race and was not able to eat for 3 days. Talk about worried. The longest training run I had completed was 11 miles, and it was HARD. The day of the race I was scared to death. Then the race started and it was like a 13 mile party. Disney REALLY knows how to put on a race. I did the Galloway run/walk/run and finished in a little less than 3 hours. There was a lot of walking from everyone. There were some places it was so crowded there was no choice but to walk. My best advise to you - continue your training. Relax. Enjoy the race. It will be over before you know it, and you will be basking in the glow of the medal around your neck. Good luck, and have FUN