family time vs. gym time

Options
I was just wondering if there were any other guys out there with the same problem as me.

When i do work out i am consistently struggling with myself feeling bad because i feel like i should be with my family. I love playing with my kids and being with my wife. When i am working out i almost feel like i am doing something i should not be doing. I miss my daughter all the time.

I don't really know how to explain it, does any one out there know what i mean. It may seem strange i guess but it is a concern of mine. Any advice would be helpful.

p.s.
And oh yeah, feel free to add me as a friend. I could use some encouragement sometimes to keep me going. Thanks.

Replies

• Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Personally don't have this issue as I'm not a father, but I would suggest bring the family to the gym if you can. A lot of gyms offer something for the entire family, so you might want to consider moving to a gym that offers children's and/or family programs. The only other option may be to go at times early morning, late night, or lunch break when it wouldn't be cutting into your time with her.
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey bro, we all go through this dilemma. Well, those of us with families and a need for the gym! I have 4 kids and a wife - and I try to hit the gym 4-5times per week. I don't think your family would hold it against you to take the personal time you need to get in shape and live a longer, healthier life. Here;s what I did/do:

1. Had an honest discussion with the wife about how much time i needed to be at the gym. She was very supportive and is keen to see me in shape.

2. Signed up for a personal trainer for 2 workouts a week. this motivates me to keep working out AND since I pay for it, I won't miss it! Also, the very real benefits of using a professional to guide my workout routines is very helpful.

3. I make special time for the kids. Instead of just "letting the day happen", I set up some specific activities on the weekends, around the workouts, and stick to the plan. I found it makes the time together seem a little more special - it's "our time" and since it's scheduled - nothing else gets in the way. Make sense?

Hope this helps! If you need to be at the gym to get in shape - do it! your family should be supportive and will understand an hour /day a few days per week. It's a great investment for your future!

//Sev
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Home gym? Of course this may take away from your alone time (if that's one of the things you get out of the gym). Of course, if you're okay with that, you could workout, and get your family involved in it too. Not sure what kind of exercise you do, but you could teach your wife and kids and they could work out with you. Combine the two.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    thanks everyone.

I do have a home gym, i am just terrible at using it. Seriosly it is a GREAT one to. I just think i would do better at actually going if i were to join a gym. (I like the idea of a trainer but i can't afford that right now)

The fact is my family is already supportive. My 3 year old even says "you getting strong daddy/" everytime she notices i am getting my workout clothes on. My issue is just that i feel bad about it. I feel like i am seperating myself from my family. But i know i just need to do it anyway.

Thanks
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Going through this right now. Two kids and my partner at home. I'm a workaholic by nature, but I've finally decided to say Fck it, and have started running at lunch...that way I'm not home any later.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    i know it sounds like an excuse to some, but i miss my family. This is a real issue for me. There is no where i would rather be then with my wife and daughter.
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get it -- I have a great family /2 kids -- i work probably 55-60 hours per week and I travel a week or two a month. I struggle with the after work/ week-night workout. I realize my kids will be grown-up soon enough--so I am super concious about spending quality time ( doesnt always translate into Quantity). After a long day or being away -- sometimes nothing better than to just hangout with the family. But the reality is -- you need to find some time -- if there is a certain time- - say between 7 and 8pm or 8 and 9pm - -when they watch tv (Amercian Idol or ??) --you could skip to the gym and be back without them really noticing it. Or do what i do --and believe me i hate getting up early - -but I will go to the gym at 5am (ish) -- so no impact to family. Some decisions are about tradeoffs -- I trade an extra hour or so of sleep for the gym. Or if i can squeeze in a nooner w/out -i will.Noon and early mornings have zero impact on my family -- provide me with fitness satisfaction --and leave my nights open for the kids. (ps --i do that on weekends as well -- hit the gym fo rearly workout --back before 9am --and big breakfast with the kids!).
    Decisions and sacrifice (sleep or lunch Not Family):smile: -- Good Luck
    b
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I work out most days in the morning when everyone else is asleep. I have a 24 hour gym 10 minutes from me and a trainer who will meet me at 6AM. I didn't usually see much of my wife & daughter's in the morning anyway so this works out well for me. I squeeze in afternoon or evening work outs when the kids are at their activities. My youngest has 2 hours of dance classes on Thursday nights. I drop her off and squeeze in an hour or 1.5 while she's doing her thing.

My daughters need to see by my example that health & fitness need to be a priority in our lives. One of the best lessons they can learn is that it takes an effort to eat right and it's important to make time for improving yourself.

Obesity has become an epidemic...and its a learned behavior.
  • TADsDad
    Options
    I struggled with this when I had the gym membership. The thought that got me through it was realizing if I didn't spend time at the gym, my kids won't have me around at all because I'd be so unhealthy! When I'm going to the gym and getting that exercise, I am there with my family more. I have the energy to do more with them and be that better father/husband! As they get older, it'd be ideal to take them with me and get them started on a healthy lifestyle track.
  • spmccann
    spmccann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Family = important , health = important. These things are not mutally exclusive. The fact that your considering the impact of one of the other shows you are not a selfish man. Cut yourelf some slack.

During the week I'm in the gym before work. I'm now more awake at the office than I have been in 15 years. I have to get my *kitten* out of bed a bit earlier but then its done. If you cant get out in the morning try lunch time. The weekend I bring the kids for a walk, well I walk/jog, they are on skates, bike and what ever the latest wheeled transport is. Its great fun, I get to spend some quality time with my two daughters while they still want to be seen with me. If we are all walking we get to have a good laugh and a chat. This is something that wouldnt happen normally as they tend to be planted in front of the TV. It also gives my fabulas wife a bit of me time too.
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a simmilar problem and in the past it has stopped me going the gym, as I work from 9-6 and it takes me about 40 mins to get the bus home I used to find that I wasn't getting home till after 10pm if I went the gym after work. As I'm the sole cook in our home (thats for my hubby, son and housemate lol) I found that I used to have to come home and cook the tea for everyone the night before so they could reheat it, but i was still missing out on actual time with them.

So I started to go the gym in the morning before work. I get up at 5am, have my breakfast and get my stuff together and jump the 1st bus to the gym and then shower etc before going to work. This means it's not actually cutting out any of my family time as I never really saw everyone in the morning. Admittedly it's a lot easier now as my son is 16 so he doesn't need me as much as he used to, but its still nice to just be able to come home and chill after work.
  • captclayt
    Options
    Well you are doing a good thing by trying to lose.. You are doing it for yourself and your family. Feel good about that and keep up the good work.
    I am new to this site today after losing 15 lbs on weight watchers on line for a year. I started to gain and was talking to my neighbor and he told me about this site. So far I like it and cant beat the price. lol:laugh
    pictue is a little dated 1966:huh:
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I feel that pain, I work an hour away so I joined a gym near my work. Instead of eating my lunches at my desk, I go to the gym. I would rather be at home with the family than be at the gym too. So I go to the gym at lunch 3-4 days and workout at home when I can't. You just need to find an excuse to workout instead of to not workout.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    With 5 kids age 2-17, and a wife, i know exactly what you are saying. These other guys have all made good points. I find that the only free time I have in the day is during my lunch break (and weekend mornings). Until recently my employer usually let me flex out long enough to get a decent work out. That said, i find i need to be a lot more flexible because work or family may get in the way of the good workout i really want it. I also try to include my family with my trips to the gym which is why i chose one with a pool and child care. For me, the key is understanding my priorities and getting back on the horse as soon as Im forced off.

My bigger challenge is trying to say no to my only daughter, age 10, whose heart breaks if I wont try her homemade baked goods and smiles if I eat a third cookie. My response is to deliberately hold back some calories for her surprises.

If you want add me as a friend.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I am glad to hear this is a more common concern then i thought. Thanks for your advice. I just have to do what is best for me and my family. Keep it up ya all.
  • tclay3167
    tclay3167 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if there were any other guys out there with the same problem as me.

When i do work out i am consistently struggling with myself feeling bad because i feel like i should be with my family. I love playing with my kids and being with my wife. When i am working out i almost feel like i am doing something i should not be doing. I miss my daughter all the time.

I don't really know how to explain it, does any one out there know what i mean. It may seem strange i guess but it is a concern of mine. Any advice would be helpful.

p.s.
    And oh yeah, feel free to add me as a friend. I could use some encouragement sometimes to keep me going. Thanks.

I have found that I HAVE to workout in the mornings before going to work. Only thing that works with a family.
  • tclay3167
    tclay3167 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I mix it up at home between: Power 90, P90X, Ten Minute Trainer, Elliptical, Bike, Weightlifting and treadmill.
    Otherwise I will get burned out on excerises. I take my youngest to the gym on weekends to play basketball.
  • kitday
    Options
    I am a husband and father of two kids and I work the typical 8-5 schedule. I struggled with this for awhile also since I absolutely love being around my family as much as possible. My solution:

M/W/F 5:30am-6:30am - Gym

T/TH - Jog during the evening with my wife/kids

It took me awhile to stop being lazy and get my *kitten* down to the gym in the mornings, glad I finally made it a habit!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see this thread. I'm fixing to join a 24/7 gym close to home, but I've had the same reservations as the OP. I think I'll need to be very deliberate about where I spend my time and not just letting the time pass with my kids, as someone else mentioned.
  • sumileajiana
    sumileajiana Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. Before my daughter was born i was working out close to 2 hrs a day. Doing all sorts of crazy workouts like P90X, Insanity whatever i thought would whip me in to shape. But since my daughter my fitness has gone downhill. I've been on fitness pal for 3 days now trying to get back on track. Doing a little nutrition tracking and get back in to a exercise routine. For now i am sticking with a quick 20 min workout that i can do with my wife, since we both have gained weight. I know i need to lose a good 30-40 lbs. Kinda ashamed - used to be able to do pull-ups.. Now I'd be lucky to get 2-3 reps.. argh it sucks.

Feel free to add me if your active on myfitness pal.