Want to try Vegan

Options
2»

Replies

• TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I went (mostly) vegan for health reasons too. Too many people have heart issues and cancer in my family and I'm scared of hospitals. I liked the 30-day vegan Challenge. I eat an quasi-healthy diet. But the big thing is beware of the Beige Diet - aka pasta, breads, fries - you get where I'm going with this. It's soo easy to rely on these when you first go vegan...and after, because I do love my junk food. Feel free to friend me if you want meal ideas and to vent when you're being tempted by non vegan baked goods. I almost never it straight veggies, but I almost always get my veggies in.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie... I eat some processed stuff ;) But I also eat a whole lot of green stuff too, and I am more than fine with calories so I'm not sweating it.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So I'm 15 days in :) Honestly once I found a great cream replacement for my coffee I was all set. I probably wasn't 100% pure, I know the first week I likely missed milk byproducts in a couple things. But I have been 99.99%! I'm getting better at branching out into new things, and have a whole stack of cookbooks. Made a great potato soup in the Vitamix tonight!

Oh and I lost 9 pounds ;)

What's the cream replacement?????? :love: It's my biggest Achilles:embarassed:
    well, one of them anyways.

Hardest thing to give up for a coffee-like drink:grumble: .
  • pstansel74
    Options
    I'm using the So Delicious coconut milk creamer. It's really good!
  • pstansel74
    Options
    So I made it 30 days ;) Survived a hurricane, missed bacon, and was 99% clean (like I said I know I missed some stuff early on). No plans to stop. Lord I wish I could find a good General Tso's Chicken vegan sub that tasted close!
  • britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you are well on your way, but just wanted to share a tip I read. During your first month or so, don't worry about calories or cost (if this is possible for you). Not to say eat chips everyday, but plan great vegan meals with lots of fresh food. It's been about 2 months for me now, and I look forward to everything I make, every dinner I have, because I am cooking new things and experimenting. It's not a matter of losing the dairy/eggs, but adding in more tasty fruits and veggies. I don't have any cravings for dairy/eggs anymore (was off meat for 8+ years already so no cravings there).
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm also a new vegan. I had been a sort of vegetarian for awhile, but after watching Forks Over Knives, I decided to go full vegan. I don't really miss anything, but still trying to figure out how to alter meals I like. Also, I live in "beef country", so going out to eat is a challenge. This evening I was at a restaurant that didn't even offer a dinner salad! My dinner was a side salad, which I had to order with no cheese or meat (the waitress acted like I'd just asked for a turd on a plate!) and water. But I'm determined to stay vegan. Just one question: how long does the gassy phase last? It's pretty embarrassing!
  • pstansel74
    Options
    Thanks, I honestly haven't tracked for the last month. I felt fine and was still losing. Now that I am over a month in I'm going to pick it back up.