Freaking Out

Options
Shelle921
Shelle921 Posts: 11 Member
I'm planning on having gastric bypass in January. I'm almost finished with my monthly life coach phone calls (I have Tufts insurance and it's a requirement.) I've already met with the surgeon several times, the psychologists, etc. Pretty much all I need is my surgery date. However, I'm having the hardest time with the pre-surgery weight loss, to the point that I'm afraid they will say I'm not trying hard enough and they won't let me have the surgery. I've made a few changes (reduced my soda and fast food intake dramatically, switched over to skim and splenda in my coffee, etc.) but weight isn't coming off. I've almost entirely quit smoking...down to about 2 a day. I started going to the gym for awhile and stopped. Did anyone else go though something similar? Maybe I should see a psychologist (apart from the one I had to see to get "okayed" for surgery). Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...I really need to get my s#@t together!!!!

Thanks!
Michelle

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a lot in the three month doctor supervised diet I was on pre surgery but I lost 20 some odd pounds and then another 11 on the 2 week liquid liver shrinking diet. I did count calories and stick with it, I did exercise 5 times a week and still exercise, I did give up non diet pop and I never smoked so that wasn't an issue, and have given up all pop and sugar post surgery. I suppose the questions are, when you say you have made changes, did those changes result in calorie deficit, and why did you stop working out? The point of the pre surgery work is to build new habits that will help you reach and maintain your goal. Getting on track and focused now will only help you 1, 2, 10 years from now. Best of luck and don't freak out too much because if they require you to lose weight as part of the pre surgery approval they will simply give you more time and resubmit; if they don't require it then you might consider adding a nutritionist or a fitness trainer to your team if they aren't on it already.
  • Shelle921
    Options
    Thank you! I think I've just been having a hard time getting motivated because "January was so far away". (I started this process in April.) But now it's almost here and there are no more excuses. Onward!!! =)
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any words of wisdom but rather a suggestion that you fully commit to the process. The surgery itself is a tool to help keep you on the path but you need to take it seriously and stay with it. I suggest that you give up coffee and soda now as well as totally quitting smoking. Try to live and eat as you will have to after the surgery. I started my process in July of 2011 and lost 100 pounds prior to surgery at the end of April 2012 by sticking with what my surgical team told me to do and logging everything I ate here on MFP.. My thinking totally changed from being frustrated and thinking I couldn't do it to saying to myself if other people can do it than I can do it too. If I can do it then anyone can :) Log everything you eat here on MFP and set your goals to lose one or two pounds per week after a while you will change your habits if you are like me because you won't want to log anything embarrassing to yourself.

Make the changes now and convince yourself that you got this build up those habits that will help and try to get rid of teh old bad habits that got you to the place that you are now. Exercise is a critical component start something now it will help you boost your metabolism and also help your skin get more elastic so perhaps it will shrink with you.

Don't worry too much about how much you lose as if they ( the surgeon's team) see that you have made changes and have really put in some effort they will work harder for you and push Tufts for you as well.
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oops I hit enter to early while trying to fix all my typos.

Good luck, you have come this far so stick with it. You got this!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you make changes pre op it will be so much easier post op. My bariatric program has a team approach and you have to be team approved before they will even turn your insurance paper work in or give you a surgery date. You have to not smoke or quit smoking for 3 or 6 months before surgery, stop drinking reg or diet carbonated beverages, only drink decaf coffee and tea and drink 80 oz of water a day. I used to drink 0 water a day. Would drink reg coffee for breakfast and then a diet pepsi with my lunch and dinner. I gave up diet pepsi. I just told myself what diet pepsi I had on hand was the last I was gonna buy. I didn't buy anymore after it was gone. I gradually switched over from reg coffee to decaf and decaf hot or iced tea. I started drinking 80 oz of water a day decaf coffee, tea count as the 80 oz. I used crystal light to mix with the water to help too. I started with MFP on 2/1/12 and ate 1200 cals a day and walked 1-2 miles a day with a Leslie Sansone walk at home dvd and from 2/1/12 to my surgery date of 6/11/12 I lost 47 pounds. I started the WLS process 2/12 and was team approved in April 2012 and insurance approved mid April and had my sleeve surgery June 11, 2012. I could had had it before then but I waited till June due to work related stuff I need to do before taking off work for the surgery. By working on these things pre op it really helped me post op. I didn't have any headaches from no caffine. I didn't miss diet soda since I had already weaned myself off it. I was motivated to do these things so I could get team approval cause they told me it takes people 6 months to 2 years to be team approved and I didn't want to wait that long. Logging all my food, liquids and exercise on MFP helped alot and I still do it daily after surgery and will the rest of my life. My nut. told me that the most successful people after WLS are the ones that honestly log their food, liquids and exercise daily and track them selves with Calories, protein levels and so on.
    Like others have said, WLS isn't a magic want but a tool in your toolbox. If you don't change some of your eating habits pre op you won't be successful post op and can and will gain back some or all of your weight with any type of WLS. It doesn't cure head hunger issues either.
    Take the time now to be successful post op!
    Good luck!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any words of wisdom but rather a suggestion that you fully commit to the process. The surgery itself is a tool to help keep you on the path but you need to take it seriously and stay with it. I suggest that you give up coffee and soda now as well as totally quitting smoking. Try to live and eat as you will have to after the surgery. I started my process in July of 2011 and lost 100 pounds prior to surgery at the end of April 2012 by sticking with what my surgical team told me to do and logging everything I ate here on MFP.. My thinking totally changed from being frustrated and thinking I couldn't do it to saying to myself if other people can do it than I can do it too. If I can do it then anyone can :) Log everything you eat here on MFP and set your goals to lose one or two pounds per week after a while you will change your habits if you are like me because you won't want to log anything embarrassing to yourself.

Make the changes now and convince yourself that you got this build up those habits that will help and try to get rid of teh old bad habits that got you to the place that you are now. Exercise is a critical component start something now it will help you boost your metabolism and also help your skin get more elastic so perhaps it will shrink with you.

Don't worry too much about how much you lose as if they ( the surgeon's team) see that you have made changes and have really put in some effort they will work harder for you and push Tufts for you as well.

I agree with this! This is a tool...I think if you can't start making small changes now, I don't think you will after! Just my opinion. It's hard at first but it does get easier. I started my surgery process August 21st this year, I am scheduled for surgery this Monday I'm having the VSG I have made the changes and stuck to it, I've lost 23 pounds since the beginning of Sept. I hope to be down 30 by Monday...It may happen...but the main thing is I made the changes and stuck to it, my life depended on it!! It's up to you it's a choice only you can make!
  • rmksgirl
    Options
    I agree with everyone, but I had a really hard time losing anything before surgery; afterall, that is the reason I decided to have surgery in the first place. I didn't lose a thing before surgery.. maybe 2 pounds total. My insurance didn't require that I lose any, thank goodness. I had surgery in June and I've lost 66 pounds so far. It would have been a lot easier if I had gotten with the program better before surgery, but I have a habit of doing things the hard way! :) You'll be okay!
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had to complete a 6 month supervised diet program to qualify for my insurance program. Over the 6 months I lost 30lb. The nutritionist said that the insurance company was just looking for weight loss. if I had increased at all from 1 month to the next I would have to start the 6 month period over again. There were several where i only lost a few pounds each month but I was able to demonstrate a loss.

So stay strong and really try to stick with the plan. You really need to be prepared for the new life changes after surgery. I am about 17 months post op. I hit my goal of loosing 130 lbs several months ago, but I need to work on maintaining every day. It is worth all of the hard work!! :)
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    The RNY surgery was recommended by my endocrinologist and I was referred to my gastric surgeon by him. The nurse at my surgeon's office helped me get all the insurance information and my only requirement was 6 months medically supervised weight loss (which was actually 7 because they don't count the first month). I started the program in May of 2011 and had my surgery in Dec 2011. The surgeon's nurse/coordinator even helped me find a PCP to supervise my weight loss.

I didn't lose anything during the 6 months prior to my surgery, I actually gained 15lbs and the insurance company still approved me within 48 hours of all my paperwork being submitted.

Just take it all one day at a time and jump through all the hoops you need to get approved, it will all be worth it in the end!
  • Shelle921
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All of your comments were very helpful! =)
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, you have to be fully committed, it is just a tool :) Decarbing, getting rid of soda/junk food, stop smoking will all make things easier post surgery. Good luck to you !
    Mandy
  • mariapaige72
    Options
    Hello,
    I am having to do something similar for my surgery. I was required to lose 40 lbs before i coud have my surgery due to an extemely high bmi. I did not do so well at first because i got injured but in the last 3 months I have started to go back ot the gym, cut out ALL soda, and have tried to stop eating processed food and fast food, I walk on the tread mill (i started with a quarter of a mile) a half to a mile and do a small circuit to tone. I have lost 32 pounds in the last 3 months and only have 8 more to go before i can get my surgery. I too had to jump through hoops and started to fear they were going to tell me I could not get it.. I started to see a counselor for some of my anxiety about this and she has helped me a lot and I am back on track. I know you can do this and will keep you in my prayers. my email is trippyhippychic72@yahoo.com if you want to keep in touch and maybe we can get through this together. My friend got her surgery in may and is down 100 lbs so she is a big inspiration for me and maybe I can hook you up with her and she can help motivate you also. Good luck. You are a strong person I can tell. Just remember you are worth it. Oh and also try eating 5 times a day. I also have realized if I want a snack I have it and just moderate how much. that way i do not feel like I am depriing myself.
    Maria