Vegan Baking Question - Cupcakes

Options
TanzaMarie
TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
I went mostly vegan just after my birthday last year. Every year before, since elementary school, I had the same birthday cake that is positively amazing - with peanut butter icing. I was worried that this year I wouldn't be able to have it because of the dairy and eggs. The only real changes I needed to make was the milk to almond milk and the eggs to egg replacer.

My problem is, they didn't rise very well. I've had this problem with egg replacer in my corn pudding. The cake tastes really good, and maybe even better than before because it is so light and moist. It did rise a little bit, but no quite enough and they rose flat, so no dome. Any idea how to fix this? Add more baking soda?

Replies

• Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would experiment with a tiny bit (1 tsp-1 TB) apple cider vinegar. it reacts with baking soda to help rise.
  • TanzaMarie
    Options
    It calls for sour milk mixed with baking soda (I forget the amounts off hand), but instead of milk I used almond milk and I put apple cider vinegar in there to make it "sour milk" and then I mix in the baking soda. Do you think I should add more vinegar?
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue with using almond milk - but I've never had a problem when I use soy milk. Are you able to use soy milk in your baking?
  • TanzaMarie
    Options
    Interesting! I have no soy issues so I will give that a try. Thanks so much!