After Surgery question

After the Gastric Bypass surgery & you've been released from the hospital, is it necessary that you have someone a home with you at all times or at all? I prefer to be alone but don't know if I should.

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Unless you have some sort of complication or particular issue that you needed help with before surgery, I wouldn't think you should need someone to be with you after. You will probably need a ride home, but I'm sure I could have done that myself too. I was driving a few days later, but you should follow whatever your doctor wants in that regard. I was told not to lift anything heavier than a jug of milk for a few weeks, so I had someone help with hauling laundry one time. But really, for me, I felt really good as soon as I was home. But I'm also sure there are lots of different experiences.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    I stayed with my parents for a couple days, and then my mom stayed with me overnight at my place for a couple days. I was in an absurd amount of pain and had trouble getting up and down and out of chairs/beds/sofas, etc. I even needed assistance walking for the first couple of days.

I have two dogs, so I needed someone with me to take care of them.

I would say yes to at least 2 days post discharge from hospital, to make sure you are comfortable and there for pain. Make sure everything you will need is it eye/waist/able to grab level. TRUST ME!
  • I love my parents but they drive me insane. I worry about my dog, he's only 23lbs but is use to laying on me. I'm gonna have someone check on me but hate to ask to be babysitted. :grumble: As you can see I'm very independent. Thanks for the info.:smile:
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    I love my parents but they drive me insane. I worry about my dog, he's only 23lbs but is use to laying on me. I'm gonna have someone check on me but hate to ask to be babysitted. :grumble: As you can see I'm very independent. Thanks for the info.:smile:

yeah, mine snuggle up and lay on me too................it was really hard telling them NO after surgery :(
  • my grandson stayed the first night with me and then after that I had my cat and dog there

but I honestly think it all depends on how you get around. if you aren't in that much pain and you can move with out any problem then I would say you are ok and you can always sleep with the phone by the pillow just in case.
  • I had someone take my kiddos and the dog the first couple of nights. A friend drove me home and was close by if I needed her - but I was alone the first week and I was fine. The dog's home (she's an itty bitty thing and all I really have to do is let her out) as are the kids and we're all fine. I'm glad I had a few days at home to myself. Surgery data 10/18/12.

Jess
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    If you are able to get to the bathroom and walk in the halls befor discharge you'll be able to do what needs to be done once you are home. I would have loved to have kicked my kids and husband out just to have more quiet time but it was kind of nice to have someone lift things for me and make my food so I didn't have to.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    I totally agree with Minkakross, if you can navigate the hospital halls and use the bathroom alone, you will be able to stay at home alone. My sister, the nurse, thought going home a day early was not in my best interest, but the MD said - you can get around ok, so go home and recover. I did develop an allergy to the 'adhesive' that closed my laparoscopic incisions, but that was my only issue. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    For at least the first couple of days after, I would suggest having someone there with you. It was really difficult for me to do a lot of things. I stayed with my mom the first 2 days post surgery and my husband took 2 days off. The first few days I had to have help in and out of the shower because I couldn't bend over to put on lotion and things like that. Plus I was afraid to be alone incase I fell or something.
  • Takecontroljma
    Takecontroljma Posts: 1 Member
    I am 55 years old and had RNY on Oct. 25, 2012. It hurt a lot more than I thought it would. I have a large dog that needs walking and am very glad I had someone here to help with that. Also though it has been a week since my surgery I'm making plans to ensure someone is here this week as I had a blood clot scare last night & went to ER. My pain was subsiding by Day 6 but the ER experience seemed to reactivate the abdominal pain (incision). Unless you really need some alone time, my recommendation is to have someone nearby to help you. Getting in and out of bed is the hardest thing for me due to the pain associated with changing positions. I also can't piick up things I drop on the floor (such as soap in the shower!).
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    have someone near by check first week a call or stop by thats enough to feel safe i did fall down after getting up fast due to blood preasure meds so **** can happen but rare
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Wow. I have trouble with anesthesia and I don't think I was really awake much for the first week. My surgery was more than two hours from home, so I slept most of the way home. Didn't start feeling like myself until about 3 weeks after. But you are right, everyone has different experiences.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    you could be on your own but just get someone to check with you,i had hubby with me and good job i did i couldnt even get out of bed on my own! :sad:
  • sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Lucky you if you could be alone. LOL my hubby insisted that I have a nurse 24/7. I felt guilty that my sister had to stay every day until he got home at night, so he dismissed one nurse and carted me off to my mother -in-law who is a retired nurse and there I stayed until today when I drove myself home. I love my mother in law and my sisters but I finally welcome some time alone before I return to work Monday.