Blood Sugar not dropping..Grrrr..

Options
My diabetes is really out of control but I have began honestly trying.. Last week I woke up with an almost 200 FBS. This morning it was 157.. I had coffee .. scrambled eggs w/ sliced ham and shredded cheese( and could only eat half) I rode stationary bike for 30 minutes and did my 2 hour post blood sugar check and it is 152.... What is wrong with me???

Replies

• Jacquis59
    Options
    OMG I can so feel your frustration. I hit the very same wall sometimes. I have just recently gotten things more under control as far as my numbers go, though I'm not losing any weight, largely I think due to the fact that I'm on insulin. Unfortunately, insulin makes it so much harder to lose the pounds.

How late are you having your last snack/meal every night? Also, if you're awake for too long before you test, you can come up with a really high FBS. It's called the "dawn phenomenum" - the link below should help explain it a little better.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dawn-effect/AN01213

Hopefully this helps a little and things swing up for you. Hang in there...this is tricky business sometimes, but you've got a ton of support here!!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working at getting your blood sugar under control? Are you on medication?

I was ignoring my diabetes for about a year and a half until early May. My fasting blood sugar at that point was about 250. I went back on a super low carb diet to bring it down fast because I was facing oral surgery. In about 2 weeks I got my fasting bg down to 180. Had the surgery. Then stayed on the diet to continue to bring my diabetes under control. I've adjusted my diet since then to make sure I'm eating enough calories and having enough variety in my diet in order to sustain it. My carb intake is still very low at 5% of my calories. I do not take medication. My doctor is on board with that as long as he sees my glucose levels progressively getting lower. It has taken time, commitment to a low carb diet and weight loss to bring them down. My BG is currently averaging between 110-120. I'm seeing more and more readings under 100.
  • StartingAtSixty
    StartingAtSixty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I checked about 15 minutes after I got up.. I eat dinner around 5:30pm and had snack of yogurt and 1 graham cracker around 8pm.. Thank you for the web link.. I will read it.. It is very frustrating.. but I know I have only been actually trying for a few days to eat right so I know it will take some time..Thanks again.. I am not giving up...:flowerforyou:
  • StartingAtSixty
    Options
    I have only been making a real effort for a few days.. I am on Metformin 1000mg 2 x day.. I have had diabetes for a few years and my A1c was 7.2 back in March. I stopped going to the doctor.. I think I just gave up on me.I even stopped testing. But now I am ready to fight back.. ( For which I thank God for)I had myself what I call "A Come to Jesus Meeting" A big reality check..I know I can do this with His help..Thank You for your help and friendship..:flowerforyou:
  • StartingAtSixty
    Options
    Took a shower and stopped stressing over it.. Checked it again and now it is 122... Thank the Lord.. Too bad it is time to eat lunch..lol
  • 1898zajay
    Options
    Can you tell me how to do the super low carbs? Perhaps a sample of your menu?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me how to do the super low carbs? Perhaps a sample of your menu?

My food diary is open so you can take a look at it.

I keep my carbs at around 5% of my daily intake. Going that low carb is only good IF IF IF you are not on diabetes medication or are ONLY on Metformin as Metformin will not drop your blood glucose into dangerously low levels. Otherwise, you should not go below 30%-40% carbs and keep close tabs on your meter readings. If your blood glucose levels dip below 70 then you will need to contact your doctor to adjust your meds. If you are on insulin your doctor needs to be on board with a low carb diet plan so that insulin amounts can be properly adjusted. If you plan to go as low as 5% I also recommend asking your doctor for prescription for potassium. My doctor has me on a potassium supplement plus other over-the-counter supplements. You will see them in my diary.

I count net carbs. Net carbs is total carbs minus fiber. My goals on MFP are set to 1572 calories, 5% carbs = 20 grams per day, 25% protein = 98 grams per day, 70% fat = 122 grams per day. I do not count any of the carbs that MFP assigns to meat or eggs.

My daily menu is generally: Breakfast: Protein (eggs/meat) and sometimes a vegetable; Lunch: Protein and vegetables; Dinner: Protein and vegetables. I try to have 3 different items or flavors per meal. Breakfast is my least imaginative because I'm usually running out the door for work.

As you look at my diary you will not see dairy. I've eliminated dairy in the last month due to a different issue. Previously, half n half in my coffee and cheese were a big part of my meals.

I eat as much as will fit into my calorie and carb goal. Some days I go a bit over. Some days I go a bit under. As long as it balances out over the week I'm good. I am most careful about the net carbs. If I push 60 carbs in a day I am hungry and miserable the next day.

Ultimately, I eat to my meter. My initial goal was to keep my BG under 140 2 hours after a meal. It took time to meet that goal consistently. Now that my average has come down I am usually under 120 2 hours after a meal and often much lower.

I usually recommend the South Beach diet for anyone wanting to start a low carb lifestyle. It's easy to follow and understand. The book has great menu plans.
  • dmorrisfit
    dmorrisfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip from the Mayo Clinic web site. Will try to track timing on evening snack.
  • tkgraham
    Options
    Just diagnosed. Chose no meds. Doing low carb also...still tweaking but doing 60-70 (though its usually less) per day. I am doing something resembling paleo/primal...eating real foods like our ancestors ate. Love hearing other perspectives and learning.
  • HerbT51
    Options

did my 2 hour post blood sugar check and it is 152.... What is wrong with me???

It is not unusual for your 2 hr level to be 30 or 40 above your fasting level. Therefore, 152 may not be too bad. A bigger concern is you morning numbers. However, tracking all your food and your bgl readings will help you figure out how to control those numbers. Diabetes control is not a quick fix but a lifestyle change.