ughhh

Options
HeidiHoMom
HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
So I'm averaging a 2 lb per month loss which is great. EXCEPT I am 186 lbs. That means by next summer I will still be 170 lbs.

It means it will take 18 months to reach 150 lbs (a 36 lb loss).

I am just struggling with this.

I know it is worth it. I know I won't give up because the changes to my body and my mental health are wonderful.

It's just one of those days, you know. I just want the weight off now and I see all those 1200 calorie dieters dropping 2-3 lbs per week and it's upsetting. I just have to keep telling myself that at 1200 cals a day they will gain their weight back, with a lower metabolism etc. etc. etc.

Sorry, just needed to put that out there.

I am not giving up because I know this is the right thing to do for me and for my body and for my family (to set a good example).

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Vent away.. I think thats the downside to this approach is remembering that quick losses arent sustainable. So for sure you could probably drop the 30 pounds in say 6 months... but by the time that 18 month mark hits.. you wil have gained a good portion, if not all back, right?... So at least this way, you can KNOW that in 18 months, you WILL be 30 pounds lighter:)

I feel ya... Im just now starting to see the scale drop after so long of nothing, and it pains me somedays to know that I still have soooo very long to go until I can even think of a goal. I had honestly thought I would have been very near to the end of my weight loss journey by now, but in a sense, I am.. Im at the end of a "dieting" journey...Beginning of a "healthy" journey
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Vent away.. I think thats the downside to this approach is remembering that quick losses arent sustainable. So for sure you could probably drop the 30 pounds in say 6 months... but by the time that 18 month mark hits.. you wil have gained a good portion, if not all back, right?... So at least this way, you can KNOW that in 18 months, you WILL be 30 pounds lighter:)

I feel ya... Im just now starting to see the scale drop after so long of nothing, and it pains me somedays to know that I still have soooo very long to go until I can even think of a goal. I had honestly thought I would have been very near to the end of my weight loss journey by now, but in a sense, I am.. Im at the end of a "dieting" journey...Beginning of a "healthy" journey

Wow, thanks for the that insight. I think that is what I needed to here and it is how I view things...that I am at the end of my dieting journey (I just needed to be reminded of that).
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I'm averaging a 0 pound loss a month. Lol. So 2 pounds is still progress, and so much easier to keep off long term.

When I get discouraged, I remember that I'm down nearly 3 sizes since February. I havent gained any of those inches or sizes back, and am the smallest I've been in years. Even though I have a long way to go (perhaps 2-3 more sizes) I have never before sustained a size loss this long in my life. No "off the bandwagon", no quick regains, no demoralizing "ah hell it's Monday again, I will try to restart my diet" thoughts. No feelings of outright failure.

That's worth a lot. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Just what I would have said. You could starve yourself and be at your goal by Christmas but then come spring the pounds would probably be creeping back on again. It must be frustrating at times going at a slow pace but you're going in the right direction and once those pounds are gone they wont be coming back. You're doing great so keep it up :)
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well, reading this made ME feel better.

I'm at 305ish and am only managing about 4 pounds a month.

I can SEE the muscle from lifting and yet, I look at how long it will take me to get down to anything approaching a reasonable weight and it makes me literally sick to my stomach (but not so much that I can't eat!).

And I'm so huge that I can't see a bit of difference beyond muscle in my arms and shoulders. Too much fat in the way. Husband says that he sees a difference and feels a difference when he hugs me, but most days I think he's just trying to be encouraging.

Yeah, I look at the 1200 cal people losing so much per week, then my husband points out what a giant witch I get to be if I am not eating.

I'm trying to focus on non-scale stuff, like the fact that I can carry my 4 year old without trouble, even up the stairs.

But, I'd love to wake up tomorrow with one of those 5 pound losses.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/ a month is still 2 lbs off your knees/ joints and 2 lbs of fat that don't put strain on your heart. Also, the slow losses mean that you're getting adequate nutrition and you're not stressing out your kidneys by losing too fast.
    Sure, 2 lbs seems very slow slow, but slow losers are less likely to rebound because you learn new habits as you go. A lot of us here used to be yo-yo or crash dieters, and we are very used to fast results, so I get how this can be very discouraging. Unfortunately, this is a life-long journey, so focus on how you feel rather than on what the scale says.
    Are you also lifting and working out strenuously? If yes, take measurements and pictures, and keep a diary of your progress. If not, I highly encourage you to start working out, and take measurements and pictures. The scale tells me that I'm borderline overweight, yet I fit in the clothes that used to fit when I was 30 lbs lighter and borderline underweight, so don't just look at your weight. I've lost a grand total of 0.2 lbs in the past 8 weeks, but I've lost 2 sizes, I ran a half marathon quite comfortably, and I can deadlift 50lbs more than my BW. More importantly, in the past 6 months I lost the all or nothing mentality, and I finally feel at ease with my body and my eating habits.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It basically took me two years to lose 40 lbs. Yes it was all worth it. I lost the weight almost two years ago and have kept it off. I am still working on my body (lifting and ect) and still trying to get my tummy the way I want it). Even though I have lost really much weight since getting to my goal my body is changing. My waist is getting smaller still and my shape is changing.
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Options
    Well I only had 20 lbs to lose before I started this. I lopst 40 doing the South Beach and have been able to maintain it for a year now minus the few pounds I gained going this approach. I have been doing this since May with zero results, did reset for 6 weeks then cut. I workout 4 times a week, 2 days upper and 2 days lower with the Bowflex and have only seen a little toning but nothing else. So this week I started adding cardio to see if that will help any, gonna walk 2 miles a day when I'm off and 1 mile when I work. I am at the right cut which is 1-3 hours of exercise. I am wondering if I am burning more during the day then I think but I doubt it bc I pretty much sit at my job and I work 12 hours, one week I work 2 days and the other 5 days. I am hoping to get a fitbit here soon so I can see things more clearly and that might help. I am too the point of lowering down to 1600 or 1500 just to lose the last 20 and then start over to just maintain and build muscle.