Looking for Whole 30 Sucess stories and results

Options
indyang77
indyang77 Posts: 34 Member
New to the group and tomorrow is day 3 of Whole 30. It feels like day 15 by now, but that may just be because work has been crazy. I'm enjoying the food, but there is a lot of prep and cook time that goes into it.

Did you lose weight?? Were you tempted to weigh in during the 30 days?? Excited to hear more about everyone's results.

Replies

• nmg8
    nmg8 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm on day 10 of my first Whole 30 - I don't have a success story to share yet, but would like to join you if you want a Whole 30 pal! :)
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I haven't done a "whole 30" but I try to eat primal as much as I can. I'd say I get at least a b+ on it. Since I started, I've lost zero pounds (the loss on my ticker I think is water weight, we'll see next week) but I have lost a pant size. It happened really fast too, it was definitely in the first month. Im really short, so thats a lot for me. Since then I havent lost another pant size but I have effortlessly maintained my size 2 pants, which HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE! I was always struggling to keep weight off before, its been so easy now. I used to bounce up and down between size 6-8 pants, now I stay at 2! I lost the first few pant sizes just lifting, but I think primal has made a great difference in making it easy to keep like I said, and that last jump from size 4 to 2 was taking FOREVER! Until primal. Hope it helps...
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have 6 days left of my Whole 30.....thus far I've lost 11.4 pounds, 10.5 inches combined from chest/waist/hips/butt/thighs, almost 2 pants sizes and 3% body fat. I weigh and measure every Monday, because seeing progress motivates me to stick with it. My husband is doing it with me and has lost 8 pounds and about 6 inches over all. Food prep does take a while, but I love to cook anyway, so I find it fun.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am okay doing Whole 30, but I get better results with less restrictive set of rules, and less arbitrary 'Oh, no! Don't touch that!'. The amount of stress W30 poses imo is not worth the marginal benefit that the avoidance of absolutely everything that could possibly hurt someone might potentially bring. In fact, I think some of the restrictions of the W30 are harmful for my goals (white potato, dairy).

I also think the success of a W30 as an induction depends on the personality. Some people do great with a plunge and cold turkey kindda methods (which what W30 is) and some people are far better off with gradual escalation of the new WOE. W30 imo is impractical and too artificial, and because of it - short-term. And I don't see why I should commit to something that I do not in the long run gonna sustain.
  • indyang77
    Options
    All very good feedback, thank you!! I'm completing day 4 and have done well so far except had one minor run-in with pizza last night. dang it! back on track today and my stomach actually hurt after I ate it. So--lesson learned, going to shake it off and stay back on it.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am okay doing Whole 30, but I get better results with less restrictive set of rules, and less arbitrary 'Oh, no! Don't touch that!'. The amount of stress W30 poses imo is not worth the marginal benefit that the avoidance of absolutely everything that could possibly hurt someone might potentially bring. In fact, I think some of the restrictions of the W30 are harmful for my goals (white potato, dairy).

I also think the success of a W30 as an induction depends on the personality. Some people do great with a plunge and cold turkey kindda methods (which what W30 is) and some people are far better off with gradual escalation of the new WOE. W30 imo is impractical and too artificial, and because of it - short-term. And I don't see why I should commit to something that I do not in the long run gonna sustain.
    i completely agree. i've gradually reduced my rice intake over the last few months, which was really difficult at first being Korean. I am finally in a place I think I'm ready to and will be able to cut grains out of my diet completely. That's the hardest part for me since my only real sugar intake is coffee (not a sweets person) and I'm not all that into dairy either. I think if I tried to go cold-turkey from a my original 300+g of carbs a day to my current max of 75g, I think I might've gone through a reallyyyyy bad carb flu.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying or downloading the Well Fed cookbook. All recipes are AMAZING and all but 1 are W30 compliant. She has a section in the beginning about how to do a weekly "cookup", which sets you up to create "hot plates" really quickly during the week. Basically, you steam saute all your veggies and store them individually in the fridge. Cook up your proteins (chicken, ground beef, etc).

Then, at dinner time, you take veg + protein + spices +sauce, and there's your dinner. The spices/sauce dictate the cuisine type (italian, asian, etc).

The one week I actually did it, it worked out great!

I've also tried to get much better about always having something defrosting in the fridge, so I'm not stuck with nothing ready to be cooked.

Good luck! I was a total failure at my Whole30 the first time, but will be trying again in January. I eat Primal pretty strictly with the occasional treat.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I did Whole 30 in September and had such wonderful results that I decided to stick with primal - I was not eating primal before Whole 30. I read labels like crazy while on Whole 30 (still do), and managed to make it the whole 30 days without any accidental slips. I lost 14 pounds and 15 inches during my Whole30. Since then I have lost an additional 11 pounds - so 25 pounds down since beginning of September. Best part though is that I feel great - physically and mentally! Stick with it, give it 100%, and you won't be disappointed.
  • chopzgurl05
    chopzgurl05 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have done multiple Whole 30's. My first one was October of 2010. I had AMAZING results and I was even very skeptical to start with. After day 30 I kept going until day 45. At that point I was fully switched over to fat burner mode. Since then I only purchase primal foods for my home but do not freak out of 'cheat' foods and will not avoid going out to dinner with my husband or friends. Completely changed my perspective and relationship with food.
    My results were:
    35 lb weight loss (unexpected, I was never hungry and ate A LOT)
    I would sleep soundly, wake rested, and have steady energy throughout the day.
    I had amazing strength and endurance gains in the gym.
    Health problems seemed to disappear (arthritis pain, chronic migraines, multiple stomach issues, depression/anxiety, etc etc)
    I went from a size 16 to just about a size 10. And I could wear S/M shirts as opposed to the L/XL shirts I started the month with.
    My cravings for sugary, salty, or grain filled foods stopped. I only wanted to eat foods that made me feel well.
    I could keep going but I am sure you get the point :)

I must add that the first 2 weeks I almost gave up, they were pure torture. I had nausea, messed up stomach, migraines, moody and craving everything under the sun. I am so happy that I stuck with it and encourage everyone who feels the same way to just remind yourself that it is only 1 month and you can do it!
  • ajclemons5
    Options
    I did my first whole30 in September and haven't looked back since. My skin has a very healthy glow, I sleep much more soundly, and have been able to maintain energy throughout the day. Now i know you're not supposed to look at the numbers, but I have lost 22 pounds in 8 - 10 weeks. I joined MFP back in January in order to get to my goal weight (pre-preggo weight) and i hit a huge plateau after losing only 14 pounds. It wasn't until i discovered paleo/primal and whole30 that the weight started melting off. Just hang in there. the first 5 to 7 days were certainly the hardest, but definitely worth it. Good LUCK!!!
  • indyang77
    Options
    Thanks for the extra feedback everyone, I hadn't checked my posts in awhile. (I wish we got notifications kinda like FB whens someone responds to our post!!)

I'm starting my third week today, woohoo! So far, feeling great, falling asleep easily, sleeping very well and waking up refreshed without an alarm clock. I wish I could say I've been 100% on target but I've slipped up a few times here and there, nothing major. I can tell I've lost weight because my pants and shirts all fit bigger.

The hardest part for me is the time involved in the food prep and cooking. For that reason I eat a lot of apples and bananas.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I am on day 24, first 2 weeks were hard, light headed, fatigue, but in the last week, my energy is back, feel great!! not sure about weight loss, as I am checking on sunday on the BMI scale, I am hoping my fat percentage went down. Food prep is the thing thats probably the most annoying but at the end of the day , its whole foods, and much healthier...I bough a food processor as I was tired of grating veggies so much!! lol
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I did my first whole30 in August. I lost 4 lbs and a few inches ( can't remember the exact amount...). But more that that, I slept WAY better than I had in months. I probably only had 2 tummy issues that entire 30 days, when normally it'd be an every other day problem. It was an eye opener to me to see how much sugar is in so much food! I ate awesome food the entire time and didn't ever really feel like I was missing out on anything. Overall, I loved it and will be doing another one in January.