What's everyone's numbers?

Options
13»

Replies

• CPhT_Panda
    Options
    What does your daily diet look like?

I'm just starting low carbing again, since I have come to terms with the fact that its the best for my PCOS.

For breakfasts, I am doing mainly scrambled eggs with cheese, and some meat.
    Lunch and dinners will either be chicken salads or lean protein with vegetables on the side.
    Snacks will usually end up being string cheese, maybe some pepperoni or something or cut up veggies and ranch.

Exciting? Not really but the weight loss and overall health is worth it to me :)
  • CPhT_Panda
    Options
    Calories: 1200
    Carbs: <45g
    Fat: 73g
    Protein: 90g

Just upped my calories to 1400 which brought my carbs up to 53g. I'll probably try to stay under 50g per day though, or 15% (the 10% brought it to 35g, and for right now, that's too low for me).
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great discussion -- excellent eye-opening books! Add another one (if you like science and details): "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney & Volek. Unlike journalist Taubes, these authors are scientists with many published studies to their names, but their work certainly dovetails into the approach espoused by Taubes.

You see some reports saying that a low-carb diet is great for exercisers (Dr. Peter Attia, "The Eating Institute") and others that say the diet is bad for exercisers (marathoners, say) because when put on this diet their stamina and speed are reduced. This is completely confusing, right? But if you read "The Art & Science" you learn why -- most of the negative studies take those marathoners and put them on a low-carb diet for, say a week, and then have them run. No wonder they feel lousy after 20 miles! But in reality it takes at least four weeks, probably six weeks, for the body to build up the enzymes needed to burn fat more efficiently on a low-carb diet, and once you reach that point, strenuous exercisers now have lots of energy and stamina.

Reminds me of the conflicting studies in the 70s and 80s when some scientists said eggs were great for the heart and others said eggs were absolutely terrible. How could both be right? It turned out that scientists who found that eggs were good were generally using fresh eggs. Those who found they were bad were mostly using powdered eggs -- in other words, subject to rancidity and oxidation. It made all the difference. You really have to read past the headlines to make any sense of it.
  • cjthurman
    cjthurman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the low carb lifestyle and haven't consulted doctors or anything, but I have read the Atkins book. Getting ready to start my 3rd week and I'm averaging 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carb (on about 1800/day sometimes more - sometimes less).
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm new here to the group but not really to low carb. I did south beach several years ago, lost and maintained for about 3 years but laziness in choices took over and well here I am. I try to keep my net carbs below 50 but I think I need to bump up my fat and lower my protein, I think I have then backwards (65 & 114). When I did south beach before I never counted anything just ate like the book said but this time I'm tracking everything.
  • Pennhotmom
    Pennhotmom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Before I struggled with lunch. I know think that I wasn't eating enough protein. I have to think about bringing my leftover dinner in for lunch to up the protein/being full feeling